X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cockyhoskins
    Career Member
    • Jan 13, 2009

Mego Ambassador FB page

Dear lord, I'm about to remove myself from that page. It's a shame that the people who have been preaching the word, etc., for the last couple decades plus, have to deal with the idiocy on that page. Shoot! I'm almost at the point where I wish Mego hadn't come back! Hey, modern toy collectors, don't ruin one of my favorite childhood memories!

Sorry! Not really, but I'm venting!
  • K
    Fun Will Now Commence
    • Jun 20, 2001

I've never spent time there, but now you've got me curious
    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• SWCWorld
      Museum Patron
      • Aug 10, 2011

There is a lot of good comments and information, but unfortunately with social media, you get a lot of really snarky posts. It's not enough that Mego is back, especially for those of us that purchased the original figures in the boxes from local stores back in the early 1970s, but there is a lot of complaining about any of the following:

New Mego cards
      14" figures (extended neck, lack of detail, etc., etc.)
      No WGSH 8" figures (this makes up a good deal of the negative posts)
      The neck plug has changed on the new 8" figures
      Why did they make "X" figure instead of "Y" as "X" will never sell, etc.

Just a lot of negative stuff. I have been appalled at the negativity from "Ambassadors"

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

It's really strange, I mean a lot of it is meant as constructive (as well as some mind-bogglingly bad license ideas, wow) but I have noticed the conversation devolving into some negative arenas.

Case in point, whenever someone dares to post that they're happy with a purchase like a Tootie, there is at least 1 or 2 commentors who trash the toy or say something about nobody wanting those, to the person who just bought it and likes it.

That's not constructive, that's not done out of any sort of concern for the company, that's just being a jerk.

I also was welcomed with my KISS reveal by a guy going "BOOOOOOO!" to me, like seriously?
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Type3Toys
          Home Of The Type3 Body
          • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
          It's really strange, I mean a lot of it is meant as constructive but I have noticed the conversation devolving into some negative arenas.

Case in point, whenever someone dares to post that they're happy with a purchase like a Tootie, there is at least 1 or 2 commentors who trash the toy or say something about nobody wanting those, to the person who just bought it and likes it.

That's not constructive, that's not done out of any sort of concern for the company, that's just being a jerk.

I also was welcomed with my KISS reveal by a guy going "BOOOOOOO!" to me, like seriously?
          People need to get in touch with the fact that they are not going to to love every new figure. They they probably didn't love every vintage figure. To me, if I want one or two characters from any given wave that is a huge win!
          LOOK
          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• SWCWorld
            Museum Patron
            • Aug 10, 2011

Originally posted by Type3Toys
            People need to get in touch with the fact that they are not going to to love every new figure. They they probably didn't love every vintage figure. To me, if I want one or two characters from any given wave that is a huge win!
            Agreed. I did not buy (or love) every new vintage figure, either. The fact is that there is a wide assortment of good licenses from the New Mego (something for everyone), which I think is a good thing. For instance, I'm not a Charlie's Angels fan and don't plan on buying any, but I know from posts here on the forum that several do like them and will buy them, and I think that is why this is working. I bought the five I wanted (Star Trek, Action Jackson, Fonzie, and Dracula), and although I did not plan on buying any 14" figures, they grew on me, and at the good price point, I purchased Zod and Batman. I will continue to purchase a few (not all) of the 8" and 14" figures in the next two waves, and what I'm not interested in will probably be of interest to others, and that is the genius of good marketing. Kudos Marty and Paul!

Unfortunately, some on the FB page are just "stick pokers" and try to create controversy or trouble for troubles sake....

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I didn't love everything but that's ok, there was some stuff I genuinely enjoyed and i'll focus on what i have rather than what i don't.

I find there is a real tunnel vision with come folks, unless it's capes or sci fi, they don't deem it valid but some of the TV stuff seems to be very well embraced and not by traditional mego collectors.

Also, we're getting like three waves this year, there is going to be lots of choice and I'm kind of interested in what's next.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I never expected DC or Marvel heroes or Star Wars, so I wasn't upset thereof.

But the KISS releases have me confused...
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

agree agree agree.
                  The Ambassadors who are choosing to be negative are in the wrong Facebook group.
                  If you want to be Captain Bringmedown on every damn thread, then what can I say without stooping to their level and just go to all out war....

It's MEGO.
                  It's back.
                  It's $14.99.

I've already blocked one...damn near blocked a second today...
                  I have noticed my stress level has been higher these past couple weeks too, probably as a direct result of the crap.

I just want Mego.
                  I am very excited to see what we get this year.
                  Molded KISS hair? You freaking betcha I am interested...and will probably love it because Ive been so disappointed with the alternative.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I never expected DC or Marvel heroes or Star Wars, so I wasn't upset thereof.

But the KISS releases have me confused...
                    As Chris mentioned, if nothing else, Mego doing KISS is interesting because FTC already has that license. So, what could that mean in regard to them doing 8 inch DC and Marvel figures? I admit that I know next to nothing about licensing, but it is intriguing, to the uninitiated.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

^^ Mego can do competing products because of the licensing...FTC is gift shop licensed, Mego is mass market.

if it is being done with KISS...gawd I hope to see Hanna Barbera not too far behind.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72
                        ^^ Mego can do competing products because of the licensing...FTC is gift shop licensed, Mego is mass market.

if it is being done with KISS...gawd I hope to see Hanna Barbera not too far behind.
                        maybe the good Doctor would be able to shed some light on that, if and when he pays us a visit

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

^ Chad’s repeating what Doc said on the Facebook Mego KISS thread, sans Hanna Barbera.

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Good grief. Even if someone doesn't personally like Kiss, this reveal was still big news. Kiss has a massive fan base and is top tier license. It's a win-win. Plus, if new Mego can get an expensive A list license like Kiss to mass market that opens up a lot more possibilities to what could be coming out in the future. It's very exciting.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Remco Monster
                              GLOWS in the Dark!
                              • May 3, 2006

I am sure that guy has a massive IQ.

I just try to ignore most of that stuff. There has still been a lot of positivity and excitement in the group, and Doc has been really good about replying to people and being active In the group. I feel like that far outweighs the bad.

Eventually all the craziness will die down a bit. In the meantime, maybe everybody just needs to relax and go buy a Mego.
                              Last edited by Remco Monster; Aug 16, '18, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎