X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornelius POTA
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2011

Buying online vs Buying at Target

Yea, I bought a few new Mego online and really don't like it. Not buying online anymore.

For one, you can't actually see the limited number sequence and you get what you get.

For me personally, I like to see Mego in the wild at Target, and I get to pick and and choose what limited number sequence.

I like to look at all figures and get the lowest number possible.

Thoughts ?

Corny POTA
    Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
    :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
    I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

I'd prefer to buy all of my figures in person. Mostly because of quality; I like to see the paint apps, any warped limbs, sometimes packaging, etc. But in today's market, it's very, very hard to do, even before TRU bit the dust.

I suppose if I put in the the type of effort I did back in the day, I could have found some of the figures I bought off Amazon.com or gave up on altogether, but I'm not doing that for regular figures anymore. At least back then, it was (mostly) for the chase figures I wanted.

If I really want the figure, I will take my chances online. Sometimes you hit, and sometimes you get smashed boxes, bent cards and half painted masks.

But yeah, in person has always been my preference.

Comment

• smonte00
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 19, 2005

I agree. Nothing better than getting them in the store, but if you have no other choice or you’re going to open them anyway, online is just fine.

Comment

• wise guy
        Career Member
        • Dec 29, 2014

Online only, retail sucks. When I purchased Dracula the cashier asked what's up with
        these dolls. The wild goose chase is not for everyone I would rather pay twice the price
        than run around from Target to Target on a doll hunt. I found the 5 Megos I wan'ted
        and I am done unless these sell good enough for a second wave .

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by TRDouble
          I'd prefer to buy all of my figures in person. Mostly because of quality; I like to see the paint apps, any warped limbs, sometimes packaging, etc. But in today's market, it's very, very hard to do, even before TRU bit the dust.

I suppose if I put in the the type of effort I did back in the day, I could have found some of the figures I bought off Amazon.com or gave up on altogether, but I'm not doing that for regular figures anymore. At least back then, it was (mostly) for the chase figures I wanted.

If I really want the figure, I will take my chances online. Sometimes you hit, and sometimes you get smashed boxes, bent cards and half painted masks.

Agree, TRDouble.

100% percent

Comment

• Madcap70
            • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by wise guy
            Online only, retail sucks. When I purchased Dracula the cashier asked what's up with
            these dolls. The wild goose chase is not for everyone I would rather pay twice the price
            than run around from Target to Target on a doll hunt. I found the 5 Megos I wan'ted
            and I am done unless these sell good enough for a second wave .
            This times 10..............

Comment

• Piddley
              • Sep 3, 2013

Originally posted by Cornelius POTA
              Yea, I bought a few new Mego online and really don't like it. Not buying online anymore.

For one, you can't actually see the limited number sequence and you get what you get.

For me personally, I like to see Mego in the wild at Target, and I get to pick and and choose what limited number sequence.

I like to look at all figures and get the lowest number possible.

Thoughts ?

Corny POTA
              I usually prefer online because they seem to have everything available and if you go store to store you waste time and you waste money on gas. I've had issues with most of my figures getting damaged with shipment (luckily you can return them to the local Target). Some other people have had issues with damaged figures too (most don't seem to). I don't care about the low serial numbers because the low serial numbers were just the first ones they put stickers on the box of (those figures inside the box and the box itself could have been the last ones made out of all of them). Maybe if you get a #1 that would have appeal though.

Comment

• K
                Fun Will Now Commence
                • Jun 20, 2001

I ordered AJ and Batman on 8/3. Got the Bats but now AJ isn't due until 8/14. *Shrug*
                I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by wise guy
                  When I purchased Dracula the cashier asked what's up with
                  these dolls.
                  Did you tell her?
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by TRDouble
                    I'd prefer to buy all of my figures in person. Mostly because of quality; I like to see the paint apps, any warped limbs, sometimes packaging, etc. But in today's market, it's very, very hard to do, even before TRU bit the dust... If I really want the figure, I will take my chances online. Sometimes you hit, and sometimes you get smashed boxes, bent cards and half painted masks.

I agree.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• wise guy
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 29, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Did you tell her?
                      I told her these are cool retro figures like the ones in the 70's. It seemed like she had
                      seen others buying these

Comment

• Timothy2251
                        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                        • Mar 15, 2008

No complaints re: online ordering from me. Every thing was packaged in their own boxes with plenty of bubble wrap/bubble pillows. Packages were nice and neat. Only clinker was the AJ I got had his badge moved to the center of his chest where the stitch for the velcro cut through it.
                        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Cornelius POTA
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2011

Seems split, and respect everyone feedback.

Scored a 31 / 10000 Mego NORM today at Target and a 24 / 10000 Hendrix and a 10 / 10000 Peg Bundy as well.

Keeping these bad boys / girls sealed.

Comment

• KOMonger
                            Banned
                            • Feb 17, 2015

Taking note of everyone's experiences. As I posted in another thread my Target only had the Jeannie set yesterday (Aug. 10).

Only need to decide when to order: Can I spend this paycheck's "play" money on other things and still get Dracula two weeks from now? Or better yet, will my Target finally have them in store?

With all the variations people are coming across, I would prefer to get them in store.
                            Last edited by KOMonger; Aug 11, '18, 8:08 PM.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 27, 2010

I don't mind certain shipping on things you spend that anyway on gas looking for stuff plus its convient to get something you want guaranteed. but I do enjoy as well searching at retail for things I don't deal with cashiers much I self checkout now at target and Walmart.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎