X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

One More Opinion Added to the Pile The New Mego Figures

Ok, just opened my third new Mego. I had opened Bela as the several pics of Malformed Belas got to me. Mine was fine but the complexity of his clothing made it difficult to pose him and I really didn't want to stip him down. The second was Kelly Garrett and she was used for a custom. I didn't notice anything bad at all and it just seemed an excellent quality female figure, much like my FTC Batgirl from the 66 Batman line.
    Aj however, was the test subject. For one thing I have three of him now. The new ones. 4 vintage ones, 2 CTVT kit ones, and now 3 Mego 2.0 AJ's.

First things first. The whole is it a tpe 3 argument is silly. It's just another Type 2 body, neckpost model. There just is not enough visual change to justify calling it T3 or T18 or TMMXVIII or whatever. It is a T2-N.
    Second, the boot toe crack. this is not a damaged boot and I haven't opened up the others to see if it's universal or not, but it is in the same spot on both boots, on the right side of the toe box on top. It isn't a huge flaw and I think it is an artifact left by a flaw in whatever boot was being molded. It's fine, just weird.
    The suit is great. Thick enough it isn't see through and it doesn't feel fragile. Thin enough he has full range of motion. Seated he can cross his legs ankle to knee and place his hands on his knees. The belt seems very original style.
    The face sculpt is the same but different. It resembles the original sculpt but he looks less happy. Is it the paint app that gives that impression? a very subtle difference n the sculpt? IDK. But this AJ looks very annoyed at somebody about something.
    The hands look less bony than original hands. A slightly softer more flexible plastic than the original Mego hands which may result in fewer broken off fingers. A big plus.
    Anyway, that's my impressions of the new AJ/
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

I agree. I'm very pleased with the new AJ, and I noted the face, as well. It's something in the sharper sculpt and paint job, I think. The facial features are the same, but just better done.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

maybe the boot molding flaw is like the GI Joe inverted thumb. There to catch bootleggers. Just like Hasbro caught Mego back in the day.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

I am looking at mine now and he doesn't have any cracks in his boots.

It's a really cool figure. I am very impressed by the body and how well made it is. The harder material of the head did surprise me though.

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

I dig the new T3 bodies, but I do wish the arms had be revamped.

Some of my AJs have the "flawed" boots and some don't.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

The AJ boot for crack.

Comment

• tllgn
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 6, 2010

i bought the whole "8" series , this is the order in which i like them

1. i dream of jeannie (cause i loved the show)
              2.Star trek (this would be #1 ,but i have had the EMCE figures for so long ,love them)
              3.Bela Dracula ,( i have all the emce figures too)
              4.action jackson ( bought one in 73 at newberrys for $1.99)
              5.Fonzie (i bought one in 76 for 3.99 at payless)
              6.Peggy bundy (even with the invisible girl head )
              7.Norm peterson (cheers was fun show)
              8.Jimi hendrix (now the mugato can really enjoy woodstock)
              9.Kelly (charlies angles (who doesnt love these babes )to bad it doesnt look like her (maybe a good wonder women head ? )
              10.alice ( groovey man)
              11.Tootie (never watched facts of life ,perhaps i should)

i dont collect '14" size ,but did get wonder women .the others look cool though

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Piper didn't make your list.

Comment

• SWCWorld
                  Museum Patron
                  • Aug 10, 2011

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                  Ok, just opened my third new Mego. I had opened Bela as the several pics of Malformed Belas got to me. Mine was fine but the complexity of his clothing made it difficult to pose him and I really didn't want to stip him down. The second was Kelly Garrett and she was used for a custom. I didn't notice anything bad at all and it just seemed an excellent quality female figure, much like my FTC Batgirl from the 66 Batman line.
                  Aj however, was the test subject. For one thing I have three of him now. The new ones. 4 vintage ones, 2 CTVT kit ones, and now 3 Mego 2.0 AJ's.

First things first. The whole is it a tpe 3 argument is silly. It's just another Type 2 body, neckpost model. There just is not enough visual change to justify calling it T3 or T18 or TMMXVIII or whatever. It is a T2-N.
                  Second, the boot toe crack. this is not a damaged boot and I haven't opened up the others to see if it's universal or not, but it is in the same spot on both boots, on the right side of the toe box on top. It isn't a huge flaw and I think it is an artifact left by a flaw in whatever boot was being molded. It's fine, just weird.
                  The suit is great. Thick enough it isn't see through and it doesn't feel fragile. Thin enough he has full range of motion. Seated he can cross his legs ankle to knee and place his hands on his knees. The belt seems very original style.
                  The face sculpt is the same but different. It resembles the original sculpt but he looks less happy. Is it the paint app that gives that impression? a very subtle difference n the sculpt? IDK. But this AJ looks very annoyed at somebody about something.
                  The hands look less bony than original hands. A slightly softer more flexible plastic than the original Mego hands which may result in fewer broken off fingers. A big plus.
                  Anyway, that's my impressions of the new AJ/
                  I concur. Knowing at the get-go that I would not be purchasing all but instead a select few that most interested me, I purchased Fonzie, Sulu, Chekov, Action Jackson, and Dracula. I have opened all except for Dracula, and I am struck at the high quality for a $14.99 figure; the body seems to be much more sturdier than the FTC bodies, and I was surprised at the extra weight or "heft" of the new Mego figures. The sculpting is also quite well done, and I, too, really like the semi-flexible fingers. Makes it so much easier to place the accessory or weapon. The quality of the clothing, especially Dracula, is awesome. I am so glad that Mego is back!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎