Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swivel bicep: too expensive or omitted to keep it "Mego-y"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K
    Fun Will Now Commence
    • Jun 20, 2001

Swivel bicep: too expensive or omitted to keep it "Mego-y"?

Hi, folks.
    I've been reading the posts in which people have unboxed their figures, etc. They are great!
    I know about the new neck stem on the body vs. neck plug on the head. I like that because we won't ever mix up a vintage body with a new one (we likely wouldn't anyway). I do wonder, though: why didn't they use a swivel bicep? Most current figures use this and it would enhance poseability. Was it to keep cost down or to keep it more true to vintage Mego? Just wondering.
    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."
  • ZombieJimC
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 12, 2014

I was a little disappointed that they didnt use the swivel. When I opened my Mirror Mirror set all I wanted to do was put Spocks hands behind his back.

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I think it will be interesting if we do see a new bandless body before the end of this Target exclusive run (or after) whether the arms have a bicep or cut joint for 'swivel action'. That might answer the question of whether it's a cost thing or a Mego-esque thing, with the latter being hard to justify if you go bandless. Of course, the new body might not be bandless...

Not to hijack the thread, but I was wondering about mold sand the cost to modify them. With the new head design, I wonder were the re-used Trek heads built on new molds, or were the old ones modified? I ask because of the issue with the 14" male body having a neck sculpted on the torso. Could that mold be modified at some point to eliminate that, or would that not be cost effective?

I'd still love to eventually see a interview that provides a behind-the-scenes of the idea and design of the new Mego bodies.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Doc has said timing to meet the Target deadline made this a "what you see is what you get" run.

Comment

• K
          Fun Will Now Commence
          • Jun 20, 2001

I did not realize they had such a deadline. That could explain it. I wasn't being critical of the bodies, was just curious. It would enhance the possibility for sure.

Also, TR, I didn't know the target run was going to end. Do you mean the mego figures will be sold at other places once the target run is over? Or will Target always have exclusive access?
          Last edited by K; Aug 7, '18, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• cockyhoskins
            Career Member
            • Jan 13, 2009

Originally posted by K
            I did not realize they had such a deadline. That could explain it. I wasn't being critical of the bodies, was just curious. It would enhance the possibility for sure.

Also, TR, I didn't know the target run was going to end. Do you mean the mego figures will be sold at other places once the target run is over? Or will Target always have exclusive access?
            Target has a one year exclusive.

Comment

• K
              Fun Will Now Commence
              • Jun 20, 2001

^thanks! I must've missed that plot point ��

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

I believe it's calandar year, so until January.

My guess is we'll see the new Mego mods and whatnot at that point.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎