X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

LJN SWAT heads

Recently completed my SWAT figures. At least I think I did. I was using Lou's Megolike site (link at bottom of post) as a reference point and from day one thought that the Hondo and Luca figures were interchanged even though they are factory labeled. This was simply by my own memory as I had them as a child. The Hondo figure pictured bears a striking resemblance to Mark Shera the actor that portrayed Luca and the Luca figure pictured looks like and has lighter hair like Steve Forrest the actor that portrayed Hondo. I also have two identical LJN heads that are very similar to the head listed as Luca but have bright yellow blonde hair. There is no way LJN could have put this as Luca as he had dark hair. I put it off as my own mistake until showing them to another member and he stated the same thought I had as being true in his best recollection. So I'm bringing it here. I know there have been variations of other LJN heads, so I'd like to see how many can be located. I also have a blonde haired head that came to me on an LJN body that is listed as a Ninja figure made by a company named Talbot on Lou's site. Lou states it is a Luca remake. I am wondering if it could possibly be a remake of the Hondo head and not the Luca. Incredibly the blonde ninja head actually looks more like Steve Forrest IMO than any of the others. i also find it to be of a superior quality, but different than the other heads I have that are definately LJN, so I believe it being on an LJN body is simply a coincidence and it was a head/body swap, that has simply added to the confusion. I would like to know if anyone has any more info about this head question or would like to supply me with any pictures which I will compile and attempt to organize into a reference point. to clear up any future discrepencies. Old catalogs, ads, inserted paperwork, or magazine articles would also be helpful. I'm also looking into the Emergency figures at thesame time as I know variations on those two heads have been mentioned previously. Feel free to PM me directly. Thanks Chuck

http://www.megolike.com/ljn.htm
    Last edited by megocrazy; May 4, '08, 10:19 PM.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.
  • starsky
    veteran member
    • Aug 26, 2007

i agree with you. i think the factory made a mistake with applying the stickers on the packages. there's also a variation with the mcabe head as well. there was an earlier version where the hair was super blonde. the head to me looks more like hondo then mcabe as well.

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by starsky
      i agree with you. i think the factory made a mistake with applying the stickers on the packages. there's also a variation with the mcabe head as well. there was an earlier version where the hair was super blonde. the head to me looks more like hondo then mcabe as well.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/files/1/0/7/1/mcabe.JPG
      This is the head I have two of with the really blonde colored hair. It looks a bit like the Luca head on Lou's site but not exact. I believe this is actually Hondo though no where near as good an interpretation as some others. The Talbot ninja head still looks much more like Steve Forrest than anything else I've seen. Now LJN had done some changes with the Emergency figures going with totally different head sculpts with there black carded figures vs their red carded ones.(The black carded heads are smiling while the red cards seem to have a more dramatic intense look. Odd for a company to change molds but it seems for some reason they did, and it seems so with the SWAT line as well. Rob also mentioned a variation with the McCabe head as well, so it seems there is one there that I wasn't even aware of. Hopefully with the number of members here we'll gather enough info to narrow it down and determine exactly what was produced. Thanks for the input. Let's keep em coming. Chuck
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Dave Mc
        Administrator
        • Oct 20, 2002

The ones on Lou's site are labeled wrong right out of the factory. Here is a guide to all the LJN heads and who's who.

Comment

• chalwa
          Mego Philomath
          • Jun 8, 2007

Thanks for the pix Dave! I am starting to collect these guys and this will come in handy.

bestest
          Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
          The Misadventures of Captain Blog
          Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
          I shall be very proud and great.
          And tell the other girls and boys,
          not to meddle with my toys.
          -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• starsky
            veteran member
            • Aug 26, 2007

thanks for the pics dave! didnt realize the early mcabe and hondo heads were so similar. thought they were one and the same.
            Last edited by starsky; May 8, '08, 2:25 PM.

Comment

• hardister2
              • Jan 3, 2015

hi, dave can you post the ljn swat heads guide again or send it to my email hardister2@aol.com thanks.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

The Luca figure I had as a kid was labelled with a sticker identifying it as Hondo. As a fan of the show I knew the difference.
                I was amused and amazed the toy company could make such a mistake. Apparently it was not uncommon.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I can't tell you how many times I saw mislabeled cards for the SWAT series. I know Hondo did in fact have at least two different heads, but sometimes it was the wrong character altogether.

Comment

• hardister2
                    • Jan 3, 2015

Yes me too. the Hondo that I got as a child was labeled luca. there was two different head sculpts for Hondo. the first sculpt they made for two different years, one year with black hair and the next with really bright blonde hair. the second sculpt has dark blonde hair and he is the one that I got that was labeled luca. They only made one sculpt of luca and he has black hair. They also made two different sculpts of McCabe too which I think a lot of people get confused with the older sculpt of Hondo. the first sculpt of McCabe was also made for two years, one with black hair and one with the really bright blonde hair. the second sculpt of McCabe has blonde hair also but not as bright and it looks more like McCabe. they only one street sculpt and one deacon sculpt. I have these pictures for id on my profile.

Comment

• hardister2
                      • Jan 3, 2015

and also when LJN was finished with the swat series action figure molds they sold them to other companies. Talbot bought the second sculpt of Hondo mold back in the 80's and used it to make a ninja doll. I have pics of these on my on my forum gallery. that's why you might find a Hondo action figure that looks like it has sandles painted on its feet, its one of the ninjas made from the Hondo mold. they had three different colors of hair, black, blonde and brown.

Comment

• hardister2
                        • Jan 3, 2015

hi megocrazy, the action figure that you are talking about is a remake of Hondo, not luca. the Hondo and luca on lou's site have the labels backwards. LJN got the labels wrong from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎