X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

newMego body teardown and thoughts

So I managed to find a Mirror Mirror set on the 29th in St. Louis. At this particular Target the folks had not set up their endcap yet, but when I asked about Mego, the helpful employee I was talking to knew they had a Trek case in the back and pulled out a set for me.

Before I start with my dissection of Spock, I do have to make a disclaimer. I am totally thrilled that MEGO is making new toys and new 8" figures with cloth goods for people to collect and kids to play with. I have followed along all of the recent ReMego type figures and have enjoyed what all of these modern companies have risked equity to bring to us, the MEGO collectors. Big thanks to those that are continuing to make these things for us to enjoy and to inspire our kids and future generations with playtime and fun. And a special big thanks to Marty Abrams and Doc Mego (and everyone else involved) for persevering and getting the MEGO brand back into stores.

I broke open the set and took Spock apart to see how these newMego bodies compared to previous incarnations. They are definitely not vintage. Closest to Doc's EMCE bodies, tho they seem to have taken a step backward from the very last bodies that EMCE used for the Universal Monsters and the Penny Dreadful figures.

Exploded Spock pics. A general layout of the newMego body. The most noticeable change is the new torso with the neck attachment plug. Another notable change, tho a bit less conspicuous is the use of a rubber sink gasket type band to attach the arms and legs. There is no metal attachment at the hip pin, the band loops around the pin. There is still a metal connector for the arm, tho.

This is a bit of a concern for me. This softer vinyl plastic used for the arms is the same or similar to the Doc Mego bodies used for Bif Bang Pow, Universal Monsters, Diamond Trek, and others. I had numerous issues with my eMCe Trek figures arms breaking due to the bands pulling the metal connectors thru the softer vinyl. This seemed especially bad with the color plastics used with figures like Gorn or Mugato. The banding on those figures was also extremely tight, which often stretched the arm connection hole until it split. I eventually just restrung each of those type bodies when I got them to keep the arms from having problems, especially because my kids were playing with them and they were not staying in the package or sitting in a static display on a shelf. I think the new band puts less tension on this joint, which will help with this issue, but I really hope that Target stores are not hit with a bunch of returns if this arm joint remains a weak link on the figure and causes problems. I included a pic with a comparison to a well used vintage Mego arm. Whatever plastic that utilized was able to hold up to the metal connector and the band tension for many years of play and not split. If there was a product suggestion box for these, I would definitely suggest a different, more resilient material for the upper arm.

I would also note that the pelvis has a warp to it that does not allow the legs to sit in the sockets at the same angles. This does not seem to be an issue with the bands and tension that are on these figures, tho it led to some leaning in earlier reMego bodies that had the same warp in the pelvis, but also had tighter bands. Interestingly enough, I think this warp started in the original Mego production, but seems to have gotten more pronounced with the recasts of the parts in recent product releases.

This is a comparison of a couple of Mego style parts. The grey one is from the Bif Bang Pow 6mdm line, the lighter one in the center is from this Spock, and the bottom one is a vintage Mego item. They all show a bit of the warp, tho the more modern ones are more pronounced. I am hoping that for upcoming releases, a completely new pelvis can be sculpted and this issue can disappear.

I have to say I am a bit sad to see the neck plug on the squish head go, as that is a bit of a defining Mego trait to me. Truthfully, this means that newMego will never be confused with vintage. But, they cannot be mixed and mashed either.

The cloth goods are fantastic, and I really like the use of the micro velcro to hold things together. Much smoother than some of the giant snaps of old and leads to a better presentation for the figure. Both the Kirk tunic and Spocks are nicely tailored and fit the figures well. The emblems are screened on and are sharp and good looking. The knife accessory is also spot on for a Mego style piece of vacuum cleaner food. I have honestly not done an a/b for the belt, phaser, and communicator; tho I did note that they do not seem to have any markings on them to indicate where/when they were made.

I was also hoping that this Spock had a sculpted goatee, but I must say that the painted one does a fine job of giving us the evil alter-ego Spock from another dimension.

All in all - I am (again) super excited to see Mego back in stores, and also to see the Trek line continued. I eagerly anticipate the next waves of figures.
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

Very nice review. I CAN NOT believe they STILL haven't addressed the arm joint issue. I have never been a fan of the softer plastic used on those bodies. I assume it must be cheaper than using a harder plastic like the vintage Mego, that have held up for 40 years.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Wow, that is a bummer about the shoulders. My Monsters are still good last I checked but my Trek and Apes tore right through the shoulder joint. Disappointing that's still not been fixed.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Ivaniski
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 24, 2007

Thanks for the review:
        It seems like a good old fashion restringing will be warranted for these new figures too.

Comment

• Type3Toys
          Home Of The Type3 Body
          • Jan 18, 2005

How did you get the head off?
          LOOK
          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Great overview! My thinking is if they made the hooks plastic, this would eliminate the hook from digging into the arm loop.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Great review, thanks!
              sigpic

Comment

• tmthor
                God of Knock-offs
                • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
                Great overview! My thinking is if they made the hooks plastic, this would eliminate the hook from digging into the arm loop.
                but would the plastic hook break if too tight. Or maybe the 2 plastics react and cause issues like the Super Joe line. Things to ponder

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Hard plastic upper arm is the easy and best solution.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

With the head joint being different it presents two major issues.

First, now in addition to having to buy a Type-S body, you'll have to buy an additional "connector". I'm sure this wasn't done to undercut Type-S, but it is frustrating because we have to spend even MORE money to get these figures up to snuff.

Secondly, if you want to manually re-string and not use a Type-S, it's much more difficult because you can no longer restring and tighten through the neck hole.

So basically, they fixed something that wasn't broken (the head) and didn't fix EMCE's biggest issues (lousy arms).

I find the bodies pretty nice, they stand well and the legs are good, but the arms can barely move. It's frustrating that nothing was done to address the issue and instead of being able to easily fix it the way we have for all the other Mego and Mego-like figures there has to be new workarounds that may be more expensive.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

I've never understood why people who restring bodies always try to tie at the neck. I've had way bettter results tying at the waist.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        With the head joint being different it presents two major issues.

First, now in addition to having to buy a Type-S body, you'll have to buy an additional "connector". I'm sure this wasn't done to undercut Type-S, but it is frustrating because we have to spend even MORE money to get these figures up to snuff.

Secondly, if you want to manually re-string and not use a Type-S, it's much more difficult because you can no longer restring and tighten through the neck hole.

So basically, they fixed something that wasn't broken (the head) and didn't fix EMCE's biggest issues (lousy arms).
                        Sad but true...I probably won't be buying much of these New Mego's if at all. At least FTC makes their heads compatible for the S-type, which is the best body out there without question

Comment

• boss
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 18, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          I've never understood why people who restring bodies always try to tie at the neck. I've had way bettter results tying at the waist.
                          Me too. And restringing without a neck hole is no big deal.
                          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• JediJaida
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 14, 2008

Can you pop out the connector with the boiling water trick?
                            JediJaida

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by JediJaida
                              Can you pop out the connector with the boiling water trick?
                              The neck connector isn't a separate piece, if that's what you're talking about. It's part of the torso. I'll bet you could saw it off and there would be a hole that you could open up enough to receive an original style head. I'm just assuming tho, I don't know that for a fact.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎