PDA

View Full Version : New bodies

ZombieJimC
Jul 30, '18, 5:44 PM
Ok, here I go with another one of my stupid ideas, which will probably get ignored like a lot of the stuff I post. We have the AJ body type 0, T1, T2, Type S, Ftc, and Doc bodies. Not counting the bodies made by the customizers. Anyway, do we call the new neck post one T18? Cause Mego returned in 2018. I dont know, its most likely more of my insanity showing.

pmwasson
Jul 30, '18, 6:23 PM
I've been struggling with what to call them. I used "2018 Mego body" but that's a bit long.

PNGwynne
Jul 30, '18, 6:26 PM
I'm thinking "T3."

Brown Bear
Jul 30, '18, 6:27 PM
Would T3 be too obvious?

ZombieJimC
Jul 30, '18, 6:48 PM
T3 reminds of the type3 toys guy, John I believe. I figured its a new century, go with T18. But T3 works too.

pmwasson
Jul 30, '18, 8:00 PM
T18 isn't bad. That way if the body gets tweeked we can use T19, etc.

Brown Bear
Jul 30, '18, 8:17 PM
I smell a vote. 😉

TRDouble
Jul 30, '18, 8:36 PM
If any of the Mego Insiders get a chance to do a nice interview with Doc, I'd love to hear about the development of the new body and the idea behind the changes to the original Mego design, specifically the neck/torso design and the change to theneck plug on the male figures.

smonte00
Jul 30, '18, 8:40 PM
That would make a great video. Kind of a behind the scenes documentary on the new figure design.

pmwasson
Jul 30, '18, 9:23 PM
By the way, Norm is on a fat body. I'm glad its not just padding. So they made a new male, female and fat body so far.

comicmike
Jul 30, '18, 9:31 PM
We'll need to consider there will likely be a New Mego 'phase 2' male bandless body; & likely a female one too

tllgn
Jul 30, '18, 9:34 PM
type -? .curiously there have been many variations of the mego body .if you stick with just Mego in name then type-3 would be fine,however if you factor in emce bodies then you have to say perhaps -type -5 or 6 .
if you count swivel arms ,screw backs ,and bbp figures,some of which used differant knee pins ,and then if you count s-bodies ,castaway,zica,ftc, etc .it can be confusing ,and then factor in the chick bodies variations.
and muscle body variations,then fats,and skins . ...oh what the ... ?

LonnieFisher
Jul 30, '18, 11:49 PM
How about the M2.0 or just M2? Since it's Mego 2.0 body. M, for Mego, and 2, because it's the second coming of Mego.

ZombieJimC
Jul 31, '18, 1:36 PM
How about the M2.0 or just M2? Since it's Mego 2.0 body. M, for Mego, and 2, because it's the second coming of Mego.

This is where I was at when I said T18. Type 0,1 & 2 were all based on the same body. This has a new torso/head thats why I was not really leaning toward T3. This new one is way different so it needs a new designation.

hedrap
Jul 31, '18, 2:24 PM
NuMego is not as drastic as change from T2 as T1 was into T2.

So if the new design isn't T3 out of respect, then...T2K? To signify "Type 2000's", but it also looks like a phonetic play on "tweak" which is what the design actually is; a tweak of the T2 neckplug and torso.

I would add that when Doc does a total overhaul - bandless, swivel joints, etc...that should be renamed totally as Msomething.

EMCE Hammer
Jul 31, '18, 3:33 PM
I like Phase 2, Star Trek inspired.

LonnieFisher
Jul 31, '18, 5:58 PM
M2
Me go, too...

LonnieFisher
Jul 31, '18, 5:59 PM
I would say T3, but John already has type 3 toys, so it's been used already.

cockyhoskins
Jul 31, '18, 6:13 PM
T3 seems appropriate, but given the knowledge they're tweaking it... I agree with T18. Then, you can have T19, etc.

lilbrosj66
Jul 31, '18, 8:33 PM
I have to cast my vote for T18. I like the sound of it.

knight errant00
Jul 31, '18, 9:01 PM
I'm in for T18.

Brown Bear
Jul 31, '18, 9:38 PM
We have type 1, type 2. These Iíll be calling type 3 logically.

The Bat
Jul 31, '18, 10:21 PM
We have type 1, type 2. These I’ll be calling type 3 logically.

Yeah...that makes the most sense. :yes:

LonnieFisher
Jul 31, '18, 11:36 PM
Type 3 is taken already. John has been using that for over a decade, I do believe.

JediJaida
Aug 1, '18, 12:50 AM
Type 4.0?

Brown Bear
Aug 1, '18, 7:57 AM
John and his body is awesome but his body is custom right? I didnít think he was affiliated with Mego Corp.

I used the name Megozine here years before the Museum sold theirs but didnít care. Not like I ďownĒ the name just cause I used it first. Have at it.

While I appreciate Johnís use of the term as a logical extension of the type 1/2 bodies he build upon, it is not a Mego body. To me, with much respect to John, type 3 is a no brainer here.

LonnieFisher
Aug 1, '18, 8:42 AM
John and his body is awesome but his body is custom right? I didn’t think he was affiliated with Mego Corp.

I used the name Megozine here years before the Museum sold theirs but didn’t care. Not like I “own” the name just cause I used it first. Have at it.

While I appreciate John’s use of the term as a logical extension of the type 1/2 bodies he build upon, it is not a Mego body. To me, with much respect to John, type 3 is a no brainer here.

http://www.type3toys.com/

This should be a clue for you...

TrekStar
Aug 1, '18, 6:32 PM
You could always consider something like, TNM-A or TNM-1 TNM would stand for for type new mego.

TrekStar
Aug 1, '18, 6:34 PM
Or you could go with the reverse of that and say something like NMT-A or NMT-1 new mego type A or 1

kept back
Aug 1, '18, 8:31 PM
T-1000.

Because Mego said "I'll be back."

Type3Toys
Aug 1, '18, 8:42 PM
I'm thinking "T3."
Take a look at my header. Home of the Type 3 Body.
Sorry brother, that name has been taken since Jan of 2004. Visit www.type3toys.com

Type3Toys
Aug 1, '18, 8:45 PM
Type 3 is taken already. John has been using that for over a decade, I do believe.

Correct Lonnie.

rche
Aug 1, '18, 8:51 PM
absolute best reply of this thread. :hokay:

T-1000.

sprytel
Aug 1, '18, 9:16 PM
T-1000.

Well played. :clap:

cdhall
Aug 3, '18, 8:29 AM
Anyway, do we call the new neck post one T18? Cause Mego returned in 2018. I dont know, its most likely more of my insanity showing.

This was my thought as well.

I havenít taken one apart or anything and I found this because I logged on to learn what FTC bodies are like. I had no idea how many body types are made.

However when the new body comes out later, well I guess it will be in 2019 so it can be T19.

The body designations are by and for collectors right? They are never advertised? But if Mego releases something like Type S, they should name it and mention it in the packaging and advertising.

So yeah, T18 reminds us of the year but as a casual person Iíd prefer:
MT18 for Mego Type 18 to help me sort it out from the others;
Or M18 for Mego 18;
MB18 for Mego Body 18...

Capt Kirk
Aug 4, '18, 2:11 AM
I like Tango One-Eight.

Megotastrophe
Aug 4, '18, 3:54 AM
Mego T3 for me. T1 and T2 specifically describe a body type as used by Mego. While other groups and or individuals may call themselves Type 3 it has no bearing on what we may call the third major body type as produced by Mego. But that then is the question. Is this body style different enough from the T2 to be called a T3?

thunderbolt
Aug 4, '18, 4:06 AM
Mego T3 for me. T1 and T2 specifically describe a body type as used by Mego. While other groups and or individuals may call themselves Type 3 it has no bearing on what we may call the third major body type as produced by Mego. But that then is the question. Is this body style different enough from the T2 to be called a T3?
but it does, John was here first with that name and the body to go with it. You should really look into it before you talk.

Megotastrophe
Aug 4, '18, 5:28 AM
I did. His company is fine as a boutique and I hope he has product to sell someday. Doesn't mean that his product is a T3 mego body. It is a mego styled body that as far as i can tell isn't even for sale. So his use of the term in no way precludes the collector use of the term T3 to describe a new generation of Mego bodies.

PNGwynne
Aug 4, '18, 5:41 AM
You know, I suggested T3 because it popped into my head as the next logical progression. I was not thinking of fan-produced bodies and was certainly not trying to slight the effort and creativity that John puts into his figures. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for John and we've chatted at MegoMeets.

T0, T1, and T2 are not Mego designations either as far as I know, they are Museum/fan nomenclature. The cognoscenti use it. And it's precisely because it's a fan thing that John's feelings should be considered--he's a fan, too. We're a small community and I don't see the need to run roughshod over anybody. I can understand his concern. We have Flatt bodies, Boss bodies--there's room for a Type3Toys body.

The new body will, over time, have a nickname stick to it. Maybe just "the new body," who knows? Personally, I'm thinking now, considering the design changes, that T2.5 may be the most fitting appellation.

Timothy2251
Aug 4, '18, 5:54 AM
I'm kind of liking T2.5, PNGwynne. When you get right down to it, it's identical to the T2 save for the neck post. I'd table any and all T3 discussion as a show of respect to John as he took things to the next level.

I'm also onboard with T18, too. It's simple enough of a designation that even a non-MM member can grasp it, and it lends itself to easy cataloging by adding a suffix if any running variants come along (for example T18G - glow-in-the-dark variant, T18B - brown body, T18F - female body, etc.). It's also easy to keep track of when the body was introduced (for example "The T20 body, introduced in 2020, is different from the T18 as it incorporated more scuplted musculature in the chest and limbs and a unique hidden joint system.")

Megotastrophe
Aug 4, '18, 6:00 AM
I'm not even sure its different enough to call it 2.5. If anything its a 2.1 as far its style is concerned. Type3's body is in scale with mego but it is barely within the same style. The reason for that style was the body could be anybody from Leonard Nimoy to Batman to Jimi Hendrix. Imagine a Fonzie head on type3s body. Now imagine Pee Wee Herman. If his body is similar to Megos use at all it would be as a specialized body like the hulk body.

thunderbolt
Aug 5, '18, 3:58 AM
I did. His company is fine as a boutique and I hope he has product to sell someday. Doesn't mean that his product is a T3 mego body. It is a mego styled body that as far as i can tell isn't even for sale. So his use of the term in no way precludes the collector use of the term T3 to describe a new generation of Mego bodies.
well you didn't look into it very hard. John has been using his complete body on his customs for years and years. One of the few customizers out there that make the entire figure from head to toe.

The Bat
Aug 5, '18, 6:04 AM
I've got it! The "Me-2" body?! :grin::smiley1:

thunderbolt
Aug 5, '18, 7:29 AM
still wondering why it wasn't made compatible with the vintage figure. Mego even then was all about customization with the removable clothes and heads.

The Bat
Aug 5, '18, 8:10 AM
still wondering why it wasn't made compatible with the vintage figure. Mego even then was all about customization with the removable clothes and heads.

I'm curious about that as well. My theory: Doc mentioned that they are going to create a new male body...so I'm thinking it's not going to have rubber bands, so they're changing the neck plug now to prepare for it. :wink:

Type3Toys
Aug 5, '18, 5:01 PM
I've got it! The "Me-2" body?! :grin::smiley1:

Or even MeToo.

scott metzger
Aug 6, '18, 9:18 AM

I can actually see an advantage on the male side; the heads honestly seem to rest better on the shoulders with the new construction. There were heads in the old days where the lip at the bottom of the neck wasn't thick enough and you get a head that sat in the neck hole c0ckeyed; that's pretty much impossible here. Also, there's no problem of the neck plugs ripping off. The females lose the extra neck articulation from the old days, but the torso and neck do look more natural.

And, it takes a little jury-rigging, but you can get do some switching:

LonnieFisher
Aug 6, '18, 3:30 PM
Older heads with the neck plug ripped off do not fit on the new male M2 bodies. At least the ones I've tried don't fit. They wobble and fall off.

scott metzger
Aug 6, '18, 4:30 PM
Older heads with the neck plug ripped off do not fit on the new male M2 bodies. At least the ones I've tried don't fit. They wobble and fall off.

You have to build up the neck post. I was able to do so just by wrapping a thin strip of paper around under the lip of the pin and taping it in place. It's functional. Had to fidget with the female head, shave a little inside the neck hole and build up the top of the old neck plug (again, just some tape).

TRDouble
Aug 6, '18, 4:58 PM
You have to build up the neck post. I was able to do so just by wrapping a thin strip of paper around under the lip of the pin and taping it in place. It's functional. Had to fidget with the female head, shave a little inside the neck hole and build up the top of the old neck plug (again, just some tape).

I was hoping the female heads were 1:1 between original and new Mego. Ah well...

scott metzger
Aug 7, '18, 11:26 AM
I was hoping the female heads were 1:1 between original and new Mego. Ah well...

Takes a little work, but Kelly and Piper are perfect scale. Peg looks a bit big, though.

TRDouble
Aug 7, '18, 6:35 PM
I hadn't cracked open a 8" figure yet, so I used a $5 gift card to buy a Action Jackson. My first Megos were Batman and Robin, post-removable cowls and masks, so Action Jackson doesn't mean much to me. But it's a nice looking figure, so I figured why not make it my first to open.

The body construction is fantastic! It's really solid with nice, tight joints.

I was skeptical about the new head joint, but it is definitely an improvement on the neck plug design. It fits the body nice and snug. I am very impressed.

Now if Mego could snag the license to do Captain Action, that would make a nice companion for AJ.

TRDouble
Aug 7, '18, 6:38 PM
Takes a little work, but Kelly and Piper are perfect scale. Peg looks a bit big, though.

Have you tried a vintage Mego female head on a new Mego body?