Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be opposed to Mego doing their own thing and create new toys?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmthor
    God of Knock-offs
    • Nov 29, 2005

Would you be opposed to Mego doing their own thing and create new toys?

Would you be opposed to Mego doing their own thing and create new toys? Kinda like they did with Micronauts (just the example) and create some non licenced figures or just stick to licenced media.
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by tmthor
    Would you be opposed to Mego doing their own thing and create new toys? Kinda like they did with Micronauts (just the example) and create some non licenced figures or just stick to licenced media.
    I wouldn't be opposed to it, and in times like these, it might even be a revolutionary idea. However, I don't know if that's where the money is. They certainly can't give up the retro licenses, nor should they give up trying to snag new licenses. Established IP's have a built-in market, especially in today's pop culture, where it seems almost everything is a remake of the past.

Comment

• hobub
      Ghost of a Dead Indian
      • Jun 18, 2001

Mego is back in business and that's great. I think just like any business, their survival takes precedence. No matter what we think.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I think they are already enough companies out there doing "solid pieces of plastic." Mego is known for great articulation, cloth costumes, boots, shoes and other accessories. That's what makes them special. So no...I'd rather not see them branch off from the Mego style figure.
        sigpic

Comment

• pmwasson
          Maker
          • Sep 12, 2007

I think some 8" non-licensed figures could be cool.

They should be a bunch of space marines and aliens and call the line "Space Force"!
          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

I would welcome it. In fact, it would get more of my attention. I feel like the best licenses have already been covered. I love quirky, original toy characters.

Comment

• spockoda
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by Liu Bei
              I wouldn't be opposed to it, and in times like these, it might even be a revolutionary idea. However, I don't know if that's where the money is. They certainly can't give up the retro licenses, nor should they give up trying to snag new licenses. Established IP's have a built-in market, especially in today's pop culture, where it seems almost everything is a remake of the past.
              I agree that might not be good economically speaking. That's why the movie industry turns again and again to older, already been done type of properties.

Comment

• spockoda
                Museum Super Collector
                • Jan 14, 2018

Originally posted by tmthor
                Didn't Mego just act sort of as a distributor of the Micronauts? I didn't think Mego actually created the Micronauts, weren't they known as Microman in Japan?

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by spockoda
                  Didn't Mego just act sort of as a distributor of the Micronauts? I didn't think Mego actually created the Micronauts, weren't they known as Microman in Japan?
                  Yes, they were originally a line of toys by Takara. This was the same line that would eventually evolve into Transformers. Mego distributed the Microman line as Micronauts, and Hasbro eventually distributed the Micro Change (and Diaclone) lines as Transformers.

Comment

• tmthor
                    God of Knock-offs
                    • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by pmwasson
                    I think some 8" non-licensed figures could be cool.

They should be a bunch of space marines and aliens and call the line "Space Force"!
                    That is exactly what was in my mind when thinking my question.

Comment

• tmthor
                      God of Knock-offs
                      • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
                      I think they are already enough companies out there doing "solid pieces of plastic." Mego is known for great articulation, cloth costumes, boots, shoes and other accessories. That's what makes them special. So no...I'd rather not see them branch off from the Mego style figure.
                      Well they did many different types from 3 3\4" to 12" not just 8"

Comment

• tmthor
                        God of Knock-offs
                        • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by spockoda
                        True however Mego changed the back story and did develop their own stuff (like the aliens) that were not part of the Japanese line.

Comment

• tmthor
                          God of Knock-offs
                          • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                          They would not have to give up on licences I meant in addition to not instead of.
                          Like add knights or aliens (not the movie)

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

What about bringing back some of the old games they did?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 29, 2018

I'm all for it. Make it part of the Action Jackson line. One man fighter craft like the old Gay Toys vehicles and Irwin vehicles. A space station playset.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎