X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

To Open or Not To Open

So I have Sulu, Chekov and the Mirror Diorama. If I’m just going to store and/or display these, do I open them or not?

I’m thinking I’m going to buy an AJ and maybe Dracula just to open.

Because I never had a Dracula, of course!

And for reasons I can’t understand, I want an Action Jackson!!

I had no clear or vibrant memory of AJ until I saw him in the store and it was like I met my best friend from 3rd Grade or something. I recognized him, he SEEMED familiar, and I wanted him.

Upon reflection I think I had a few of these before Trek came out and they just didn’t survive and we’re lost to the mists of time.

So tomorrow after $155.00 car battery, I think I’m going to a Target to get Action Jackson and Dracula.

But if I buy other Trek crew later, to open or not to open. That is the question!
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Part of the fun is holding them in your hands and bending them into different positions.
    The Trek and Jeannie 2-pack diorama set looks like it's pretty easy to open and remove the figures without damaging the box, so you can assemble it back together again.
    The carded figures look like you will damage the card if you remove them from the plastic bubble.
    Unless someone knows of a clean way to remove the plastic bubble without damaging the card.
    But then again, these new cards really aren't that impressive to me. They 're kind of a plain, boring design, especially the ones with just the show's logo and no photos.
    Not like the old ones that had original artwork of the casts and were unique.
    Last edited by RonnyG; Jul 28, '18, 3:37 AM.

Comment

• Timothy2251
      Jerks beef with Ten Bears
      • Mar 15, 2008

I'm kind of a fan of Mego packaging - most of my collection is boxed or on the card. I just like the look and feel of having a complete figure in it's original packaging in my hands. Probably goes back to the original boxed WGSH and AJ - the colors were very eye-catching to me.

Still, I may very well buy an extra AJ or Dracula to open up and pose for my desk, and have a set left on the card for archive purposes. At $15 each, it certainly won't break the bank!
      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Such and easy question to answer. Open them and play.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Not being a huge fan of the new card art i'd say Open Sesame

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

My philosophy...buy one the open and one(or more)to keep in the package.
            sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

I buy one to open and one to keep mib if I like the character enough,for example I wanted a blue falcon mego all my life and have one opened and in the box,plus the new megos are less expensive too so ill be buying like two of the fonz,two of Romulan cmdr.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

A production run of 10,000 is actually pretty big. Don't plan on retiring on these. Open them and have fun. Give them to your kids. They are toys after all.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

I used to be a Buy one to open, Buy one to keep closed type of collector. These days, I am dumping most of my MOC/MIP figures, both extras and singles, because they have just sat in boxes for years wasting space.

I still don’t have the space to display everything, so some stuff is still in boxes, like most of my FTC collection. But my goal is to open all of these figures because unless you do something with them, whether that’s open and display or keep them in the package and display, what’s the point?

So I say either open them (my first choice), or have a nice in-package display for them.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Go on and open them, its Christmas in July for goodness sakes.

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I think maybe some folks might say "well if I didn't open the ones Mom bought me in the 70's they would be worth a lot of money today"
                      I'm not really sure what these new mego figures would be worth say 10-20-40 years from now?

if you feel safer buying two of each and open one and store the other safely away then go that route.

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Without my, "I display everything open" bias?

I think a good measure of what to do, is the fact that you even are asking the question.

Why else would you ask us, if you didn't want to open them?

OPEN THEM!

"No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Teemu
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                          I think maybe some folks might say "well if I didn't open the ones Mom bought me in the 70's they would be worth a lot of money today"
                          I'm not really sure what these new mego figures would be worth say 10-20-40 years from now?

if you feel safer buying two of each and open one and store the other safely away then go that route.
                          I would say they won't be worth squat, as this generation of kids could care less about 8" dollies and definitely won't in 10-20-40 years. Think about it, It's us guys in their 30's,40's and 50's buying this stuff to begin with. The problem is the "It will be worth something" "don't open it" collecting mentality. Things are not worth much when everybody is doing the same thing keeping their things in the package thinking and "hoping" it will be worth something someday. Why even collect at all just to never open something you buy? The very reason 70's and 80's toys are worth something mint in box is because we actually opened and played with our toys, not thinking that, as a 6-7 year old."This might be worth something someday, don't open it" and that mentality has gone to adulthood just because of the $$$ thought process
                          Last edited by Teemu; Jul 28, '18, 4:40 PM.

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

I open everything. How can you enjoy a toy without touching it? Also, they take up less room if you throw away the package.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I already have a coffin for Dracula so I'm opening him when I get him.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎