X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

My quick and cheap solution on the 14 inch Batman

I picked up the 14 inch Batman today and the first thing that struck was how AMAZING that head sculpt was. I mean it was cranking greatness.

But attached to the 14 inch body it felt shrunken...or was it? I have allot of 1/6 scale bodies, all of which could house this head design. So I plopped that off and worked on some alternatives. Problem is the head actually scaled up a tad too big. Even when I pulled in an old 12 inch Mego body, it didn't feel right on that. So how was it that it should belong on the 14 inch body? So I put it all back together and looked at it... and looked at it... and looked at it. I thought, " There's something throwing this off, but it may not be the head as much as it appears.

As I looked at the neck and shoulder region, it occurred to me that compared to the rest of the body, this area actually looked the most deficient which created that disconnect as you got to the head. So I thought if I bulked up the neck-to-shoulder area UNDER the cape this might alleviate the scale issues that dogged this figure. The results were fairly dramatic...

So what did I do? Impossibly simple. I took one cotton ball and ripped it in half and proceeded to tuck one half under the cape hugging his shoulders on either side and adjusted them until they hit the mark I was looking for. It bulked up his shoulders to match the body and alleviated allot of the neck to head optics that impacted his appearance.

Now I'm sure there is a more efficient way to accomplish this. My buddy Chris (Emeraldknight) thought maybe black fun foam could be a better substitute. But my thinking is as long as you have some kind of soft padding affixed to the underside of the cape, you've got a pretty cool looking figure that really flushes out that head sculpt. Those were my thoughts as a work around with minimal impact to the stock product.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Yep, ol' Pointy Ears looks WAAAY better with a "normal" length neck, good buddy! Nothing better than a super-cheap solution to make a $20.00 figure look more like a $50.00 figure!
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I did the same to Zod but with about half as much cotton under the top portion of his outfit. That worked nicely too.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Muuuuuuuch better! Nice job!

I'm a sucker, so I was going to get Batman regardless, but with the "shorter neck" mod, it turns out to be a real nice looking figure that does justice to that excellent head sculpt.

Comment

• comicmike
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 22, 2009

Great work

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

A really dramatic difference. Good eye!

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Wow! That really made a difference! Nice job!
              sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                Moderation Engineer
                • Aug 14, 2003

That's great Tom. When Zod and Batman show up in Columbus I am going to buy them all, fix them, and return the ones I don't need for myself:-)

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  That's great Tom. When Zod and Batman show up in Columbus I am going to buy them all, fix them, and return the ones I don't need for myself:-)
                  Thanks Steve. Looking forward to seeing you again when I attend the Meet next year. It's in a location and now a date that doesn't rub against my Wonderfest duties. You're quality company.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

Looks great, Tom! What an improvement (admittedly, I didn’t think he was terrible before hand). Nice to have you back!

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                      Looks great, Tom! What an improvement (admittedly, I didn’t think he was terrible before hand). Nice to have you back!

- Ian
                      Thanks Ian! Good to be back.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                        Moderation Engineer
                        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Thanks Steve. Looking forward to seeing you again when I attend the Meet next year. It's in a location and now a date that doesn't rub against my Wonderfest duties. You're quality company.
                        Aw shucks! Definitely want to see you and yours next year.

Comment

• Gramercyplace
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Jan 23, 2012

You totally nailed it! The aesthetic quagmire was never the scale of the head, but rather the shoulder to neck ratio. Amazing fix!!!

Comment

• Jason73
                            Correctamundo!
                            • Jan 11, 2009

What a difference. Thanks for the tip. I may pick one up now.
                            Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• mego
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 16, 2012

Great observation! Thats a big improvement for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎