Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the "new Mego Company" consider re-releasing Jet Jungle?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jetjungle75
    Career Member
    • Jan 11, 2013

Would the "new Mego Company" consider re-releasing Jet Jungle?

After all these years and just the one limited release just in South Africa, would be great to see Jet Jungle reintroduced, into the line. I know that there is the CTVT version, but we need a definitive "Mego" version, with the correct head sculp.
    Just a thought.
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Perhaps if Jet appeared on an 80's sitcom?

Comment

• Jetjungle75
      Career Member
      • Jan 11, 2013

So when was the last time the 1931 Dracula appeared on a 1980's sitcom? How did this figure qualify?

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I think right now Mego wants to make as much money as possible to payback investments and show they are still viable in the modern world.

Jet Jungle just doesn't have enough fans to warrant making a figure... Mego would lose money doing it.

Comment

• hobub
          Ghost of a Dead Indian
          • Jun 18, 2001

Yeah, they need to focus on groups who have a huge following and of course never forget the children. I hope it works for them. I believe it will enhance the collectability of the original Mego's. I think some of these action hits would be helpful. Jumanji and WWE for instance. I see the 80's sitcom figs for collectors and girls as an alternative to Bratz and Barbie's, Two of my kids had the Famous covers as well as some re-megos (later on) and gave those some hard play time and they pretty much used them for wrestling. Remember these are for play ware at best and not supposed to sit on a shelf if you are going to keep the kids interested. Also, if they (Mego) can try to find a way to tie them in with existing popular video games so the kids (who are already playing the games) can pretend to be the figure in the game and then have adventures with them outside, that may be a hit and a direction for them to follow. Jet Jungle would be nice for a collector base but the kids won't recognize them unless marketed through direct or indirect means.

I don't know if Star wars prequel was intentional or an after thought on how it unfolded. ( I believe intentional since it started as episode IV) but fast forward 20 years and all the children who remembered the trilogy are now (at the time) working adults with kids and they bring out episode 1. Same thing with Lord of the Rings, and Pokémon. These are marketing phenomenon's because the seed was planted into the children's brain (And this can happen with religion and politics but we won't go there). Then the child carries that memory and then as an adult they bring it back and the grown adult wants to not only recapture that pleasant memory from youth but also share it with their own kids. Then it becomes sweeping wave. I don't necessarily agree entirely with the way this can be done but I can see how it works and can be a very powerful tool in marketing or other things. As always "remember to collect them all". No subliminal messages intended.
          Last edited by hobub; Jul 25, '18, 9:15 AM. Reason: proofread edit

Comment

• megowgsh
            Customego HoF Curator
            • Nov 19, 2003

Jet Jungle was made by Classic TV Toys a number of years ago already. And, if they are sold out, I am sure they still sell all the parts.

I believe they even gave him away as a "free gift" with certain sized purchases.

Classic Tv Toys started making retro MEGO type 8 inch action figures in 2005.
            Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Jet Jungle is still available on Classic tv Toys for $19.99.

I picked him up sometime back and transfered it to a mego type 1 body, and got a custom repro window box for it
              it's about as close to having the original version, unless you find one out there somewhere and want to cough up the
              cash along with your liver to get one because it won't be cheap.

I actually looked one day for one on eBay South Africa UK and nothing was available, still haven't seen any to this day.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Jetjungle75
                How did this figure qualify?
                You can't be serious.

Bela Dracula and the Universal Monsters are pop culture icons. Still popular with young and old alike. The movies are in constant print on home video and are re-aired on TV every Halloween and their merchandise and costumes sell every year. Outside of the museum, Jet Jungle is virtually unknown in North America.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Outside of the museum, Jet Jungle is virtually unknown in North America.
                  Even on the museum, he's virtually unknown. If you weren't here in a certain time-frame, you would have very little knowledge.

Comment

• MegoPres
                    • Jun 20, 2018

Originally posted by Jetjungle75
                    After all these years and just the one limited release just in South Africa, would be great to see Jet Jungle reintroduced, into the line. I know that there is the CTVT version, but we need a definitive "Mego" version, with the correct head sculp.
                    Just a thought.
                    Wow, what a memory "Jet Jungle is the man to get...get Jet"

Comment

• Jetjungle75
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 11, 2013

When I said, "how did this figure qualify?", I was referring to the fact that if to qualify, the character had to have appeared on an 80's sitcom, then how is it, that Bela qualifies. Or did the figure qualify because Shriek Theatre was back on US TV in the 80's?
                      Love Bela Lugosi. Have all his films as well as all the classic Universal Horror films.
                      Great to see this figure, and can't wait to get hold of one.
                      Take the point that Jet is virtually unknown outside South Africa, and would not be popular if remade.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by MegoPres
                        Wow, what a memory "Jet Jungle is the man to get...get Jet"
                        Welcome to the museum!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎