Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Madcap70
    • Dec 4, 2017

Do you think...........

With Dr. Mego teaming up with Marty for the new Mego do you see any of Doc's old licenses thru either EMCE or Bif Bang Pow! coming under the Mego banner to either re-do them (Like Star Trek) or continue the line's that never got finished (Battlestar Galactica) etc.

Thoughts?
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Well, it already has with Star Trek. My hope...we get Planet of the Apes next!! 😀
    sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by The Bat
      Well, it already has with Star Trek. My hope...we get Planet of the Apes next!! ��
      But then again, EMCE was always Doc's company, so that made it easy. Not sure if that works with the other companies, but I sure hope so!

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Well, DST held the Trek license I believe and Mego got the license from them. BBP held their own licenses.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by SKotK
          But then again, EMCE was always Doc's company, so that made it easy. Not sure if that works with the other companies, but I sure hope so!

--SKot
          I realize that, which is why I brought up Planet of the Apes because EMCE released them before. They didn't finish the line though...I wanted Gen. Ursus(Helmut), Urko...and a Taylor that actually looks like Charlton Heston(both with beard and without).

I don't really care about Battlestar Galactica...but I suppose if it was done right without the GIANT heads the BBP did, I might buy them.
          sigpic

Comment

• jeffbearco
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2011

I would love to see the BBP Dr Who figures picked back up, even if they just did the Doctors. I got all of the Doctors that they rolled out! I just didn't get all of the supplementary figures in the line.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I think EMCE inventory of parts will be a big player in what you see. I gotta believe it saves on tooling costs if they already have it in house. I can already see parts being utilized on the 14 inch figures with Zod's boots and Batman's arm bands. But I think popular licensing as a whole will be the key factor here. At some point they will need to cross over into mainstream shows and movies a younger audience can identify with. Case in point, I finally saw the first video of someone NOT connected with the Mego tribe coming across that Mego display and commenting on what he saw. I thought that was worth digesting.

He understood the marketing intent, but went after the established licensed characters. He picked up a Dracula and a Batman. First it was great that a sell was made in both formats of 8 inch and 14 inch. I felt that was a good sign. But it also reinforced my established thinking that good licenses sell themselves. Universal Monsters and DC are consistent winners when it comes to consumer awareness and popularity. I'll be curious to see how the old TV shows register. There was a comment below the video which did strike me with some generational sorrow. One person referencing Fonzie said, " Look! It's that old guy from Arresting Development!" Wow. Did I suddenly feel old. Never thought about it like that. But it also demonstrated a disconnect from a generational perspective I didn't possess. I was celebrating Fonzie in all his glory and this person saw an entirely different character. That was fascinating.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by MIB41
                I think EMCE inventory of parts will be a big player in what you see. I gotta believe it saves on tooling costs if they already have it in house. I can already see parts being utilized on the 14 inch figures with Zod's boots and Batman's arm bands. But I think popular licensing as a whole will be the key factor here. At some point they will need to cross over into mainstream shows and movies a younger audience can identify with. Case in point, I finally saw the first video of someone NOT connected with the Mego tribe coming across that Mego display and commenting on what he saw. I thought that was worth digesting.

He understood the marketing intent, but went after the established licensed characters. He picked up a Dracula and a Batman. First it was great that a sell was made in both formats of 8 inch and 14 inch. I felt that was a good sign. But it also reinforced my established thinking that good licenses sell themselves. Universal Monsters and DC are consistent winners when it comes to consumer awareness and popularity. I'll be curious to see how the old TV shows register. There was a comment below the video which did strike me with some generational sorrow. One person referencing Fonzie said, " Look! It's that old guy from Arresting Development!" Wow. Did I suddenly feel old. Never thought about it like that. But it also demonstrated a disconnect from a generational perspective I didn't possess. I was celebrating Fonzie in all his glory and this person saw an entirely different character. That was fascinating.
                Where is the video? Link to watch it please?

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Here you go... if you want to read comments you'll have to go to Youtube itself for those. Note he shows what he buys near the end of the video.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I can't see the video yet but I have noticed some of the younger folks comment on Marty like he's a joke and so is Mego, I think "The Toys That Made Us" snark is the cause for that.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I think EMCE inventory of parts will be a big player in what you see. I gotta believe it saves on tooling costs if they already have it in house. I can already see parts being utilized on the 14 inch figures with Zod's boots and Batman's arm bands. But I think popular licensing as a whole will be the key factor here. At some point they will need to cross over into mainstream shows and movies a younger audience can identify with...

...good licenses sell themselves. Universal Monsters and DC are consistent winners when it comes to consumer awareness and popularity. I'll be curious to see how the old TV shows register...I was celebrating Fonzie in all his glory and this person saw an entirely different character. That was fascinating.
                      I agree. I don't know if you were reading the boards post-announcement, but at the Meet it was made clear a number of licenses were chosen by Target. We're certainly seeing that influence. Plus, Mego is dealing with a concentrated license built around CBS/Paramount so I tend to believe a number of these off-character ones are freebies. In other words, Mego is paying for Trek and CBS/Par is throwing in Jeanie, Angels, Facts of Life etc...Then someone/purchaser at Target is looking the list over and saw a few they wanted to test out.

When you watch Doc's SDCC interview, it confirms a number of good omens. The first wave is to establish market space and get WOM going, the second wave has nicer options that compliment the first wave and fill-in what's been sold (or sold out). The third wave is geared towards a holiday impact. By then, I think a number of the oddities will be moved to online only.

A good debate is as mentioned before, what's more important: first impression of overall impact? I think the year-long exclusive guarantees impact. Sales would really have to collapse to change that piece. Even if that happens, Doc has the Mego brand alive and moves it to Amazon.

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

What about heroes like The Spirit, Zorro, The Phantom, and Captain Canuck since
                        there is no 8 '' superheroes. When it comes to the
                        TV shows we will know in the first couple of weeks if they will be peg warmers or
                        sell out( this determines if that Target re orders wave 2 from what I have been told)
                        Target picks out most if not all toys that they carry and they also cancel toy lines
                        based on sales of the product. These have to sell pretty good to get to wave 3
                        Last edited by wise guy; Jul 25, '18, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I can't see the video yet but I have noticed some of the younger folks comment on Marty like he's a joke and so is Mego, I think "The Toys That Made Us" snark is the cause for that.
                          Ah, the age of social media

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I'd love to see classic BSG redone with proper sized heads and clothes that fit.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by hedrap
                              I agree. I don't know if you were reading the boards post-announcement, but at the Meet it was made clear a number of licenses were chosen by Target. We're certainly seeing that influence. Plus, Mego is dealing with a concentrated license built around CBS/Paramount so I tend to believe a number of these off-character ones are freebies. In other words, Mego is paying for Trek and CBS/Par is throwing in Jeanie, Angels, Facts of Life etc...Then someone/purchaser at Target is looking the list over and saw a few they wanted to test out.

When you watch Doc's SDCC interview, it confirms a number of good omens. The first wave is to establish market space and get WOM going, the second wave has nicer options that compliment the first wave and fill-in what's been sold (or sold out). The third wave is geared towards a holiday impact. By then, I think a number of the oddities will be moved to online only.

A good debate is as mentioned before, what's more important: first impression of overall impact? I think the year-long exclusive guarantees impact. Sales would really have to collapse to change that piece. Even if that happens, Doc has the Mego brand alive and moves it to Amazon.
                              Well stated. And thanks for that added piece of info regarding CBS/Paramount. That colors it in an entirely different light now. I knew Target was a player with regards to packaging and some of the selections, but I didn't know who was on the hook for costs associated with that. I think if they have a good push with licensing through the holidays, that will really help establish them for 2019. And the way I see Target move peg warmers to back end caps at discounted prices, I suspect the Mego display will not grow stale through the process of transitioning old product with new. It sounds like a solid game plan. But I'm circling Christmas as that period to watch inventory levels. I think that will speak volumes. What happens over the next six to eight weeks will probably tell us whether the licenses for those classic shows develop any traction or not. I don't foresee any slow sales with Dracula, Trek, or the DC product. Those licenses always gross pollinate into allot of circles not associated with the standard Mego collector.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎