Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Superfriends (with Wendy and Marvin) showing on Boomerang.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Original Superfriends (with Wendy and Marvin) showing on Boomerang.

For a while Boomerang has been Showing Superfriends at midnight. They were usually the 1977 onward episodes.

Finally, they are showing the first episodes with Wendy and Marvin. I know these are considered the silliest ones and are usually disparaged by Comic book fans but they are my favorites.

They were probabaly my first exposure to Superman, Batman, etc as a kid. Also, this was the show I associated with Mego Superheroes. I still feel like they are tied together.

The openeing titles themselves are the greatest with Ted Knights booming announcer voice.

Anyway, just a heads up to those that want to record these.

mego73@hotmail.com
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

Ooof! I feel really old now....even though Superfriends was on when I was pretty young, I still remember watching the 1950's B&W Superman and 1960's Batman reruns being my first exposure.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• K
      Fun Will Now Commence
      • Jun 20, 2001

Those eps are my FAVORITE! The opening theme has the tympani drum thundering and it's so cool! I'll have to check and see if I get Boomerang on my cable system. Thanks for the heads up!
      I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• hobub
        Ghost of a Dead Indian
        • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Adam West
        Ooof! I feel really old now....even though Superfriends was on when I was pretty young, I still remember watching the 1950's B&W Superman and 1960's Batman reruns being my first exposure.
        You got it. PGH-TV 53 out of Pittsburgh carried them both for us along with the original 60's Spiderman cartoon, the Kirby Hulk, Thor, Ironman etc., The Banana Splits with Gulliver Travels and Atom Ant etc., Bozo the Clown, The Little Rascals, the Stooges and much more. What more could a kid as for. I never had to read a comic. They were all on TV. I remember the routine. Come home from School, sit down in front of the set with my home work and watch all those shows right from the coffee table. No wonder I'm warped!

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

I don't get Boomerang! Could someone record it (on tape) for me? The early Super Friends are my faves too! I'll swap some other Saturday morning tapes w/ ya? PLEASE???
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• filmation batman fan
            The Man of Many Voices
            • Aug 30, 2005

My first conscious exposure to the original SuperFriends series was weekday afternoons in syndication during the early 80's when they aired in 2 parts on Thursday and Friday afternoons. I already knew about Wendy and Marvin and Wonder Dog because of the one and only SuperFriends coloring book I had with these characters in it.

I agree with the Mego toy association. I think of both the 8 in. Megos of Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman and even the crappy looking 8 in. Wonder Woman figure when I see these episodes. Plus this was the one and only appearance of Green Arrow. Back in the 80's they showed all of the episodes except the Watermen which I didn't see until my adult years. And the Planet Splitter was shown as a half hour episode with the origin of Superman edited out.

It wasn't until the 90's on Cartoon Network when I saw all of them in their original uncut hour long glory.

By the way, has anybody noticed that Boomerang is showing most of the SuperFriends series now? This original series and the All New SuperFriends Hour are the only two hour length series while Challenge, World's Greatest, the Legendary Super Powers Show and the Super Powers Team are all being shown. The only two series now missing from this channel are:

SuperFriends 1978. The 16 episodes with the Wonder Twins that have The Exxor tyrant Lord Darkon, Rokan: the giant Kryptonian bird, Sinbad and the Space Pirates, The Phantom Zone villains, Brain Creatures, the Space Circus, Count Dracula, and Mr. Mxyztplk's first debut. If they never show them, it's no big deal since they are available on DVD as the Complete Second Season.

SuperFriends: 80's shorts. The three seasons of shorts from 1980-1983. 1981 shorts introduced El Dorado. And the lost season of 1983 I have yet to see all of them uncut since these aired in the butchered format called the Superman/Batman Adventures. The lost season had one episode that reunited the entire Legion of Doom, but only Lex Luthor, Sinestro, and Solomon Grundy were the major players with speaking lines while everyone else was in the background.

I seriously wish WB and Boomerang would work it out so that these remaining series can air uncut on Boomerang.

Cheers.

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by K
              Those eps are my FAVORITE! The opening theme has the tympani drum thundering and it's so cool! I'll have to check and see if I get Boomerang on my cable system. Thanks for the heads up!

I record them all on my DVR and I've been waiting for these. Yeah, they're silly, but so all tons of the other stuff from my childhood. And I have to agree, I luuuuv that theme!
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Customslab

i think its great i like all of the superfriends shows

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

The theme and the Alex Toth storyboards are the best part. All the SF series have an occasional moment of Toth greatness (beyond the character designs), but the first series has more. But beyond that...man, I want to love this version, but I can't. My first SF exposure was the 77 series. Oh, I may have seen a few reruns of the 73 series, but I really remember the opening of the 77 series, the Wonder Twins, and the team-up shorts. When I got around to seeing the hour-long original SFs in the 80s (cut up into two parts), I grimaced every time Marvin spoke, and every time some scientist was "just trying to help". I realize that HB's hands were tied by then-current regulations, but man the plots are just too PC. No action, just a lot of talking. I still enjoy them in theory, but actually sitting through a whole one takes effort. Seeing GA, Plastic Man, and Flash (to a lesser extent, since he's on SF later) makes some of them worth it...but not by much. Sorry!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

Yeah no kidding. Take the last two nights episodes for example. Can someone explain why Superman needs to ride in the Batmobile? And you have them getting ready for a charity golf event? I'm sure it's suppose to be a great gesture but come on,we all know Superman would hit the ball into the next galaxy. Of course when I was a kid,I wouldn't even to think to question any of this.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I actually watched a whole episode last night, the one with King Plasto and the charity golf exhibition mentioned above. It was doable. Not quite as nerve-wracking as some of the others. The only reason I got into it was I thought it was the Plastic Man episode. It wasn't. Oh well. Like I said, it was a better example of the series overall. A little less talking and a little less PC than the usual early SFs.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

These shows were are real treat for me. These Wonderdog episodes aired before I was born and were never rerun. I have been a HUGE SF fan all of my life and own most episodes on either dvd or vhs. So for me, it was like watching new episodes of my favorite show. And I owe it all to a certain kind member of this forum.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 26, 2008

That was my favorite as a kid, Well any super hero cartoon and those awesome reruns of superman and batman were the greatest. Any I could find I watched but the super friends were the best cartoon. I work nights now so whenever I'm home at midnight I watch the SF and the the 2 shows before usually, justice league and batman. Come to think of it I still watch alot of super hero cartoons
                          3 after I get home in the morning, 3 or 4 on saturday morning and 4 or 5 nights I'm off, lol. But I guess I watched t.v. super heroes so much cause I had very limited access to comic books back then so never got into them much.

Chad
                          Chad

Comment

• spaceace35
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 1, 2008

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            I don't get Boomerang! Could someone record it (on tape) for me? The early Super Friends are my faves too! I'll swap some other Saturday morning tapes w/ ya? PLEASE???

do you know if your dvd player will play avi files?
                            Rockin Rebels

Comment

• HardyGirl
                              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by spaceace35
                              do you know if your dvd player will play avi files?
                              I don't have a DVD player, but the guy who originally posted this, (Mike), did do some tape swapping w/ me, and I now have my SuperFriends! (But thanks for asking).
                              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎