X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

BSG is Done

Cult TV show Battlestar Galactica will end early next year, the program's makers have confirmed. The final fourth season of the sci-fi show will be broadcast on U.S. cable network Sci Fi Channel from November. Executive producers Ronald Moore and David Eick released a statement, saying, "This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and, finally, an end. Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end, and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there - we're going out with a bang."

I'm ok with this, it's nice to see a series actually end before getting cancelled (like farscape and oh so many others) and before the show gets too long in tooth.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Maybe afterward, they'll make a new show, Galactica 2008

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ That'd be sweet!! They can have hover bikes and be happening on our Earth!!!
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Galactica 1980 had humanoid Cylons too, maybe we're onto something!

Comment

• Wolverine1969
          Career Member
          • Apr 7, 2005

I admit I've never seen Galactica 1980, never sounded like I missed anything!
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

I think they are ready to go. It should be a great season as they head to the finish line. I have a lot of faith in the creators of that show. More nervous about Lost, but it's good they too have an exit strategy in place...
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Is this the one with the female Starbuck and the humanlike Cylons?
              They started showing that here couple of week ago. So I'm good for 4 seasons, eh? Cool
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Mego Maverick
                • Apr 18, 2007

first SG-1 now BSG I am not sure Atlantis can stand on its own. Sci-fi has said they are trying to get away from the "Space based" sci-fi and more into the fantasy type. But I am not so sure losing 2 staples so close together will be good for the network. I just haven't been able to get hooked on the newer stuff like Eureka and the new Dr. Who.

Comment

• Mego Maverick
                  • Apr 18, 2007

Originally posted by Wolverine1969
                  I admit I've never seen Galactica 1980, never sounded like I missed anything!
                  The only episode worth watching is "The Return of Starbuck".

Comment

• toys2cool
                    Ultimate Mego Warrior
                    • Nov 27, 2006

well it was good while it lasted I guess
                    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Mego Maverick
                      The only episode worth watching is "The Return of Starbuck".
                      Ha and that's really just a forgotten episode of BSG. For some reason, I watched every episode of 1980 as a kid. I haven't been able to as an adult.

Comment

• trekfan
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 9, 2003

The only ep. I Vaguely remember is the one where the BSG kids use advance physics to hit a baseball. Ugggggghhhhh! I don't think I ever watched another episode after that one. In fact, I think it scarred me for life - a grown man that plays with dolls is its side effect.

David

Comment

• rikitikitavi
                          Museum Mongoose
                          • Aug 15, 2003

I was a faithful fan of Battlestar Galactica. I still remember watching the premiere of it on September 18, 1978. I also remember Galactica 1980, though I've not seen it since 1980. Yes, I agree, the Return of Starbuck was the best episode. I was not a fan of the new series, so it doesn't mean much to me that it is ending.

How much it will be remembered in the future, I don't know. The ratings just aren't there anymore with so many channels. I don't believe the Nielsons ever topped 3.9 and that was the premiere or second night = 4.3 million. BSG in 1978 brought in 60 to 70 million on its premiere, so there are more of our generation to remember it fondly. 20 years from now I think there will be more who remember the original than the remake.

Comment

• Mego Maverick
                            • Apr 18, 2007

Originally posted by rikitikitavi
                            How much it will be remembered in the future, I don't know. The ratings just aren't there anymore with so many channels. I don't believe the Nielsons ever topped 3.9 and that was the premiere or second night = 4.3 million. BSG in 1978 brought in 60 to 70 million on its premiere, so there are more of our generation to remember it fondly. 20 years from now I think there will be more who remember the original than the remake.
                            One thing to remember is although the premiere of the Original series did well the ratings quickly plummeted. Which to led to the series only lasting one season. The new series will have lasted (at least) 4 seasons. and will probably have a nice long afterlife in rerun syndication. Which is something the original never really had (until the sci-fi channel and now ion).

It really isn't fair to only look at ratings in this age either. There are several other factors to remember. First is Sci-fi replayed each new episode a couple hours after it originally aired as well as again on Monday nights @11:00. Plus they were constantly doing mini marathons to catch people up. Second is the DVD Box sets. They release them now shortly after the season ends. I have several friends who rarely watch TV shows anymore. They just buy the box sets as soon as they come out and watch them at theis leisure w/out commercials. So I am sure there are much more than 4.3 million BSG fans out there.

As for how it will be remembered, only time will tell. I am a huge fan of both series. More people may remember the original because its original audience were the younger generation, who remember it through the eyes of childhood. Whereas the new series is obviously a far more mature show aimed at us old folks who do remember the original through the eyes of childhood.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Only time will tell so it's hard to argue, one thing the new series might do for the old series is elevate it's status a little. In many documentaries and books it's often dismissed as a "Star Wars ripoff", not exactly a grand legacy or a fair shake.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎