X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Kryptonite Kid
    Museum Gunslinger
    • Oct 15, 2007

Rit Dye Nightmare

Hey Gang, I have tried to use scarlet red Rit dye to dye a white CTVT suit red
    with dissapointing results. The suit dyed, but it is a dull red, almost pinkish. I just wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong or if some of you have had similar problems. Here is what i did...Added full pack of scarlet rit dye, and some sea salt to a 9" deep pot filled with simmering hot water, added jacket and constantly stirred for about 20 minutes. When it was the red i wanted i took it out and let it air dry. It was a nice brilliant red, but when it wa done drying it was the dull pinkish color. I tried dyeing the garment twice, both times i was dissapointed with the results. Can someone please offer me a solution to this problem? I also saw some spray on red dye at Michael's, has anyone used that with successful results? Any and all help appreciated, thanks Guys.
    -Will
    NO SIR, I DIDN'T SEE YOU PLAYING WITH YOUR DOLLS AGAIN.

My Blog MCKENZIE MCKUSTOMS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckustoms/

Flickr: CUSTOM MEGO SHOWCASE

MY GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • Merlyn1976
    Fist of Khonshu
    • Mar 29, 2005

Neither CTVT or Doc clothing holds dye well...it's not the material itself...the best luck I've had was running it through a batch of the rit color remover then washing it in some woolite and then dyeing but the results are still a bit mixed and not always the best...
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• grayhank
      That Fisher Price Guy
      • Feb 9, 2007

I use the RIT dye method quite a bit. Just fill a container with hot water and add the dye and mix. Don't use the salt because you don't need it. Put in the jacket and find something you can weigh it down with. Let it soak overnight. I sometimes use those empty prescription bottles, fill it up, add the jacket and close tight. Give it some good shakes every so often (provided the prescription cap is on tight enough) and let sit overnight. These clothes will dye, you just have to be really patient.

Scarlet Red is also very dark so if you are looking for a brighter shade, try adding a little bit of yellow, but not too much where it turns Orange. Also the bottled RIT dyes seem to work a little better than the powdered crystal packs.
      Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Good to know this. I never dealt with dye before--too scared to try. Usually just sewing it from scratch with material that is the perfect color is easier.
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• The Kryptonite Kid
          Museum Gunslinger
          • Oct 15, 2007

Originally posted by grayhank
          I use the RIT dye method quite a bit. Just fill a container with hot water and add the dye and mix. Don't use the salt because you don't need it. Put in the jacket and find something you can weigh it down with. Let it soak overnight. I sometimes use those empty prescription bottles, fill it up, add the jacket and close tight. Give it some good shakes every so often (provided the prescription cap is on tight enough) and let sit overnight. These clothes will dye, you just have to be really patient.

Scarlet Red is also very dark so if you are looking for a brighter shade, try adding a little bit of yellow, but not too much where it turns Orange. Also the bottled RIT dyes seem to work a little better than the powdered crystal packs.
          Thanks GrayHank, I'll give that technique a try and report back with my results.

MY GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

I haven't had good luck dying Doc Mego, or CTVTS stuff...but Original Mego Dyes just fine.
            sigpic

Comment

• Merlyn1976
              Fist of Khonshu
              • Mar 29, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
              I haven't had good luck dying Doc Mego, or CTVTS stuff...but Original Mego Dyes just fine.
              Especially the Tinman's grey suit...
              "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

In the Southeast Pacific, lies the sunken city of R'Leyh. There lies C'thulhu waits to return to our world with the other Great Old Ones. A hideous creature of enormous size and alien power, it waits for it's time to return patiently. For it has all the time in the world while it waits for the stars.

Comment

• gman
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 4, 2002

This method gives me the best results and I have dyed Doc Mego's stuff, CTVT's stuff, and even the PMAJ clothes with pretty good success..... I got it from "Custom Uniforms by Mary" -- can't take credit for the technique.

Step 1: Get the water boiling first. Add some salt if you're doing cotton or polyester fabrics (I added about 1/2 cup). This will help the dye soak into the fabric. When the water is boiling add the Scarlet dye and blend well. Use a pot that you will never cook with again.

Step 2: While the dye is returning to a boil wet all the stuff you want to dye. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES--SQUEEZE out the excess water in your fabric--you don't want it sopping wet, just damp. Add this to the boiling dye mixture.

Step 3: Boil the fabric for about 5 minutes. If you have a lot of folded pieces be sure to mix it up good and stir constantly. Poke and turn the fabric over. I use a wooden spoon for this. Keep all the pieces of fabric submersed in the boiling mixture at all times.

After boiling for 5 minutes lower heat and simmer for another 5 minutes then remove the pot from the burner and let it all cool for another 30 minutes. Now it's time to rinse your fabric items. Keep in mind it will look lighter after it dries. Rinse WELL!

Step 4: After a GOOD RINSE, let the fabric dry completly. If you're impatient like me, you can use a blow dryer.
                Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Dyes don't adhere so good to synthetic fabric; which is what most Mego scaled clothes are made of. If you're dyeing something, try using a dye that's about 25% darker than you want the final colour to be.

Don C.

Comment

• The Kryptonite Kid
                    Museum Gunslinger
                    • Oct 15, 2007

I thank you all so much for the dye help, But credit must be given to the most effective technique provided by Grayhank! I managed to dye both of my items using his technique so a special thanks to you sir Once my customs are complete Mr.Grayhank will find himself in the credits Thanks pal! -Will
                    Last edited by The Kryptonite Kid; May 2, '08, 3:04 PM.

MY GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• grayhank
                      That Fisher Price Guy
                      • Feb 9, 2007

Glad I could actually help for once!

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

Wow.

It hasn't even been 24 hours since I destroyed a Doc Mego suit with Rit, and NOW I find this thread. Rit dye absolutely did not work on the suit, which is probably 100 percent polyester. All I wanted was a navy blue bodysuit, soemthing simple and plain. Now, I've uglified this one and will have to look around for one. Never saw one on any site, so I may hit Brian up or wait till the Meet and see if someone has one there.

All I got is a purpleish, blotchy piece of fabric. Maybe it's still salvageable if I rinse it off and it lightens up a bit, but it would be for another figure down the road.

Scott
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• grayhank
                          That Fisher Price Guy
                          • Feb 9, 2007

Originally posted by Random Axe
                          Wow.

It hasn't even been 24 hours since I destroyed a Doc Mego suit with Rit, and NOW I find this thread. Rit dye absolutely did not work on the suit, which is probably 100 percent polyester. All I wanted was a navy blue bodysuit, soemthing simple and plain. Now, I've uglified this one and will have to look around for one. Never saw one on any site, so I may hit Brian up or wait till the Meet and see if someone has one there.

All I got is a purpleish, blotchy piece of fabric. Maybe it's still salvageable if I rinse it off and it lightens up a bit, but it would be for another figure down the road.

Scott
                          Get a bottle of RIT Navy Blue. Put the jumpsuit directly into the bottle itself. Shake well often and let it sit overnight. Take it out (I'd suggest using a pencil) and rinse. See if that helps. If you already think you've destroyed it, you've got nothing to loose.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>All I got is a purpleish, blotchy piece of fabric. Maybe it's still salvageable

RIT makes a colour remover that'll probably fix this right up.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎