View Full Version : Favorite Joe

thunderbolt
Jan 16, '18, 5:52 PM
Still this guy for me. Just perfect.
https://s19.postimg.org/f34f0fy4z/DSCN6227.jpg
Post yours!!

PNGwynne
Jan 16, '18, 6:05 PM
Hmmm. Probably my 40th Shore Patrol, I'm partial to Navy figures and SP is sharp. For AT, I like Eight Ropes of Danger and Bulletman.

thunderbolt
Jan 16, '18, 6:07 PM
Its not too hard to put together a vintage SP uniform.

Brown Bear
Jan 16, '18, 6:19 PM
Talking A-Team cmdr with beard and kung fu grip could very well be the most awesome action figure EVER made IMO.

Makernaut
Jan 16, '18, 7:02 PM
That Action Soldier is a site to behold, T-Bolt!

I'd be pretty hard-pressed to pick a favorite figure, because I can't even decide whether the original line or Adventure Team is my favorite. Adventure Team was my era, of course, but there was enough hand-me-downs from the original line for it to have been a factor. So favorite figure is hard to say, but....my favorite thing from any line is the Space Capsule.

drquest
Jan 16, '18, 9:16 PM
Here's a little snip of a few of my favorites.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/GiJoe/i-rwBg2qb/0/27306764/X2/20150516_172215-X2.jpg

Werewolf
Jan 16, '18, 9:22 PM
1985 Snake Eyes with Timber.

Nostalgiabuff
Jan 16, '18, 9:24 PM
1985 Snake Eyes with Timber.

that one was my favorite when I was a 13 year old kid

Frank
Jan 16, '18, 10:58 PM
Green Beret, AT Fantastic Freefall with Air Adventurer, Rock n Roll, Blowtorch, and Firefly

Klosterheim
Jan 17, '18, 6:14 AM
Commando, Code Name: Snake Eyes (1982)

rykerw1701
Jan 17, '18, 9:00 AM
Your basic AT hard hands Man of Action. He was my go to guy growing up. I've kept that same figure for 45 years. Got him re-flocked a couple of years ago, and he stands proudly on a shelf next to far pricier toys. I think in a fire I'd grab him over any Hot Toys or statues I have.

Makernaut
Jan 17, '18, 12:52 PM
Here's a little snip of a few of my favorites.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/GiJoe/i-rwBg2qb/0/27306764/X2/20150516_172215-X2.jpg

Sweet!!! That's a very nice collection you have there, drquest! I love the MP and Shore Patrol stuff.

thunderbolt
Jan 17, '18, 5:38 PM
^^^ The mass of Jungle Fighters in that pic just kill me!!

Bantha5
Jan 17, '18, 6:48 PM
Deep Sea Diver, probably the best toy ever made. Never had one, or any 12” Joe as a kid

Nostalgiabuff
Jan 17, '18, 7:51 PM
yeah, the Deep Sea Diver is cool. repackaged several times for different sets but that was a really cool, imaginative set to play with. too bad the inside of the body suits all dry rotted over the decades.

rykerw1701
Jan 18, '18, 9:19 AM
yeah, the Deep Sea Diver is cool. repackaged several times for different sets but that was a really cool, imaginative set to play with. too bad the inside of the body suits all dry rotted over the decades.

Yeah they are a bit of a mess, but they display well because the rot was on the inside. The scuba suits are almost all garbage at this point. Really, Hasbro should have had the foresight to know we'd care 50 years later. In all fairness, I'm amazed the stuff has held up as well as it has.

palitoy
Jan 18, '18, 10:08 AM
Regular old Adventure Team bearded Joe in an orange scuba suit was my spirit animal in 1974.

thunderbolt
Jan 18, '18, 10:12 AM

You can strip out the dried rubber with a soak in Oxy Clean. I lucked out and found one nice one so far. Still soft like a balloon inside.

warlock664
Jan 18, '18, 11:46 AM
Deep Sea Diver, hands down.
I coveted the "Eight Ropes of Danger" AT set as a youngster, but never got one. I ended up buying a vintage 60s Joe set in the early 90s, and then bought the modern sets (the Eight Ropes re-issue as well as the Diecast Timeless Collection set). Just an incredibly cool set.

Vermillion-Windmere
Jan 18, '18, 12:58 PM
Land Adventurer!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1040/652068469_f277771b98.jpg

enyawd72
Jan 18, '18, 1:57 PM
Destro. Guy has a chrome head. Tough to beat.

jwyblejr
Jan 18, '18, 2:16 PM
I'm liking the Combat Joe Godzilla figure. You get a Joe to dress up as Godzilla,what's not to love?

rche
Jan 18, '18, 2:30 PM
Combat Joe as Goji is one of my favorite displays. Post the original issue of Combat Joe, there were a few different versions along with a Gamera and Gyaos from RAH. Awesome toys.

palitoy
Jan 18, '18, 2:38 PM
I'm liking the Combat Joe Godzilla figure. You get a Joe to dress up as Godzilla,what's not to love?

I got one of those, that whole concept is magical

Werewolf
Jan 18, '18, 3:21 PM
that one was my favorite when I was a 13 year old kid

I really liked Scarlet as a character but Snake Eyes got a WAY better action figure. I thought it was awesome that he came with Timber. Loved the figures with the pets.

Neutron X
Jan 18, '18, 6:28 PM
For me it's the Kung fu Grip Sea Adventurer and Sea Wolf Submarine! Had a great time with them growing up!

Nostalgiabuff
Jan 18, '18, 6:49 PM
I really liked Scarlet as a character but Snake Eyes got a WAY better action figure. I thought it was awesome that he came with Timber. Loved the figures with the pets.

Scarlett was a cool character in concept, but I always thought the head sculpt really sucked on that one.

although I certainly had plenty of the RAH figures, I really was always a 12" AT fan. it was just by the early 80's they could not be had anymore, at least short of tag sales, or flea markets, so I was tuck with the little Joe's like everyone else, and the few surviving 12" Joes I still had

PNGwynne
Jan 18, '18, 7:02 PM
For me it's the Kung fu Grip Sea Adventurer and Sea Wolf Submarine! Had a great time with them growing up!

I like the way you think! The Sea Wolf is the one vintage item I still covet, but it seems difficult to find a nice affordable one.

SAS-KY
Jan 19, '18, 8:45 AM
I grew up with the Adventure Team GI Joes. Bulletman was my last Joe I got as a kid. Still primarily a vintage 12 inch collector, but have gotten into Super Joe and now run the 3D Super Joe website.

Steve

Ninersphan1
Jan 19, '18, 3:01 PM
Fuzz Heads all the way. The Commander, Land Adventurer, Air Adventurer, Sea Adventurer and of course they need to have the best toy of all time IMHO, The Mobile Support Vehicle!!

rykerw1701
Jan 22, '18, 11:43 AM
Fuzz Heads all the way. The Commander, Land Adventurer, Air Adventurer, Sea Adventurer and of course they need to have the best toy of all time IMHO, The Mobile Support Vehicle!!

I've long coveted The Mobile Support Vehicle. Just an exceptional toy. I don't have any place to display it, thanks the gods, or I would have probably got one long ago.

Nostalgiabuff
Jan 22, '18, 6:12 PM
actually it was finding the mobile support vehicle at a flea market that got me to stop just dabbling in collecting Joes to full on collecting. I wish I had had that as a kid. it is beyond cool

C.H.O.A.M.
Jan 25, '18, 8:44 PM
the few joes I have left are in my mom's attic but I was a big fan of the adventure team. give me the eagle eye and kung fu grip!

I did see a pic of the vintage motorcycle cop joe that was awesome:yeah:

drquest
Jan 25, '18, 9:54 PM
I did see a pic of the vintage motorcycle cop joe that was awesome:yeah:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hobbies/GiJoe/i-B7Qpd8n/0/8cd5b846/XL/20140121_171932-XL.jpg

PNGwynne
Jan 25, '18, 10:39 PM
^Good grief those are sharp. Was the trooper Canada-only? (I just realized the helmet seems the same mold as the later AT orange/yellow hard-hat.)

Ninersphan1
Jan 25, '18, 10:57 PM
^Good grief those are sharp. Was the trooper Canada-only? (I just realized the helmet seems the same mold as the later AT orange/yellow hard-hat.)

That's been speculated but not proven.

Go here:
http://www.vintage3djoes.com/action-joe.html

PNGwynne
Jan 25, '18, 11:41 PM

Go here:

The Canada origin or the helmet? (I'm familiar with the 3D site, it's great.) The smoke jumper entry mentions the AT recast of the helmet.

Ninersphan1
Jan 26, '18, 11:39 AM
The Canada origin or the helmet? (I'm familiar with the 3D site, it's great.) The smoke jumper entry mentions the AT recast of the helmet.

The Canada Origin

drquest
Jan 26, '18, 4:01 PM

Go here:

It and the race car driver and race car were a very limited release, but it does seem they were sold in the U.S. as well.

FYI, the glasses on the one above are later reproductions, I have the lenses from an original pair, but the glasses are almost always broken and I didn't want to shell out major $$ for broken glasses.

convoy357
Jan 28, '18, 7:40 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zgyWowHl.jpg

My cop has the original glasses but they are glue repaired on one side. The handcuffs are broken on mine tho.

C.H.O.A.M.
Jan 28, '18, 9:32 AM
yes!!!
it was on the 3d site that I saw it for the first time.
and the motorcycle itself is awesome too!
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range so I'll just have to look at the pics...

Godzilla
Feb 6, '18, 1:14 PM
I'n going to go with Bulletman. It was Joe fused with super heroes and to me it was just magic.

Nostalgiabuff
Feb 6, '18, 5:18 PM
i never had Bullet Man as a kid. I don't know that I even knew about him honestly. But he was a hard get in my modern collecting, but I did get him really cheap as the seller did not know what he had, I just had to buy a couple lots from the guy to get all the body parts, LOL. then I found a really nice helmet in a parts lot. still need his belt

Godzilla
Feb 7, '18, 1:13 PM
Piecing a figure together like that is one of my favorite parts of collecting.