X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Countdown to Final Crisis: The Conclusion

...The conclusion is I've wasted $155.48 this year on this crappy book, hoping it would deliver but it never did. Besides the back-up villain origins, nothing really cool came out of this rag. The only possible glimmer of hope is the introduction of the Jack Kirby version of OMAC (finally!) Other than that, none of the main characters (Jason Todd, Ray Palmer, Kyle Rayner, Harley Quinn, Donna Troy, Pied Piper, Jimmy Olsen, Mary Marvel) got a real storyline boost like some of the ones in "52" did (Black Adam, Elongated Man, Question). Instead, I had a mostly "I-don't-care" attitude for these characters and their situations. I was hoping Paul Dini (as the head writer) could reign everything in to make it cohesive but he dropped the ball. And the artwork on most issues left a lot to be desired, as did the covers ("52" at least had the unifying vision of J.G. Jones as the cover artist for the entire run). Thankfully DC won't be doing this weekly "cross-over" thing for a while.
    Yeah there's Busiek and Bagley's Supes/WW/Bats "Trinity" but that sounds from the get-go like it's already learned from the mistakes and misteps of "Countdown" (same creative team, NOT tied into other books...)

Don't even wait for the inevitable trades, people....it's crap.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I bailed on this one early and have no regrets. And from what I understand now, it actually has very little to do with what happens in Final Crisis, making it totally redundant.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

I thought about bailing too several times....but sometimes I'm too much of a "completist" I think.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Cool, OMAC is back? I see Atlas returning, too. Maybe Morrison is going to dig up all the Kirby stuff.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I loved 52 but heard bad about this right from the onset so I ignored it.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

I got the 1st issues of Countdown,.. but after I saw 52 already in collected trade formate..., I decided to wait. Then after reading your "Midway Review" ... It gave me doubts,.. & Now I guess I can save the cash all together. Big thanks Anthony.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• davidb
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 9, 2007

I was pretty disappointed in Countdown as well - not at all what I was expecting after how good 52 was. As the book went on, I kept hoping that things would pick up like 52 did.

I was very wrong. Needless to say, I'm passing on Trinity.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

^ So I'm not the only one that let himself get snookered by DC, waiting for a big pay-off that never happened.

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                  Formerly known as Del
                  • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  ^ So I'm not the only one that let himself get snookered by DC, waiting for a big pay-off that never happened.
                  No, don't feel bad. We all get roped in by comic companies and their tricks to make us buy more books. The owner of our LCS refers to this series as "Final Crisis: Swear to God."
                  Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                  https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                  http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎