X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 30, 2007

Tips for painting heads

I have an LJN Jim Street (SWAT) head that needs a slight touch up to the hair. Any tips on paint and proper brush for me to use?
    Scott
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

I use sharpie for small stuff, but not for eyebrows or around the hairline, because it can soak in and run. I use acrylic paints for anything else. I also use a matte finish clear sealer.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• drwhofan74
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 19, 2005

I always use Delta Ceramcoat acrylics. They are inexpensive and work well. And then, like megocrazy suggests, use a matte varnish. I used to use a gloss varnish followed by a matte coat (because the gloss brings out the colors) BUT, after about 6 months, the gloss finish gets really sticky. So, just use the matte, it works the best.
      sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• rche
        channeling Bob Wills
        • Mar 26, 2008

Hiya Action,

Some of my thoughts on custom painting. Use a brush that is comfortable for you. Doesn't need to be the most expensive, but try not to have hairs pointing every which way or you will just get frustrated. Get a few different sizes so you will be in the ballpark with your task. If you repaint an entire hairdoo with an 00 or something small, it will take forever and you may add more brush marks if the paint begins drying before you are finished. For large coverage areas, thin acrylics a bit with a little water. This allows for quicker and more even coverage with less brush marks or bumps. If you are trying to match skin tones, go real thin with the paint and build with multiple coats being sure to allow ample time for drying between coats. And finally, if you do something you don't like, don't fret. Just wash it off, give yourself some time and try again.

keep on keepin' on
        rche

Comment

• Seeker
          Neptunians RULE!
          • Feb 20, 2008

Curious what you you all do for really small details like eyes? Eyes are really the hardest for me.
          Lo there do I see my Father.
          Lo there do I see my Mother and my Sisters and my Brothers.
          Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the begining.
          Lo they do call me.
          They bid me take my place among them.
          In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

Hiya Seeker,

Magnifying lamp. and as many redos as it takes.

rche

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

There is a tutorial on painting, including how to do eyes in the customs tutorial section.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                • Mar 15, 2008

Re: eye painting, as a newbie to customizing, I'm getting good results by using a very fine round or liner brush (long, thin, skinny tip/bristles) and GENTLY "dotting" the paint in the eye area (like doing a poitilistic painting) until it's filled. You can also look for some acrylic paint pens and "draw" in the eye.

I also followed the painting tutorial in the CustomMego area and added the eye liner first before putting the white eyes in.

Hope this helps!
                "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• nightowlghoul
                  • Jul 21, 2007

I use FW acrylic inks. They are already thin and very concentrated.
                  You can get great thick to thin lines like comic art inking.
                  Simple India ink works great too. Hobby Lobby and michael's carry them.

For resin heads I prefer spray paint for the base you avoid brush strokes that way.
                  I seal my original mego heads with Aileen's stretchable flexible fabric glue thinned a bit. the same company makes Tacky Glue.

Any of the above posts are great tips too.

Justin

Comment

• drwhofan74
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 19, 2005

Originally posted by Seeker
                    Curious what you you all do for really small details like eyes? Eyes are really the hardest for me.
                    Like most anything else. Practice, failure and learning from your mistakes.
                    sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎