X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Firestorm, Fate and Red Tornado

Okay, this is more like it. Three figures that look to have decently scaled heads; was beginning to think I'd never see that in the DC line. Not sure what the back to front proportions are, but straight on, they look good. Firestorm looks a little old; the features should be a bit softer because it basically was Ronnie's face when he and Stein combined. The torso part looks a bit bulky, but those are minor quibbles; overall, he looks good. Fate and Reddy are pretty much dead on, and, again, I can't emphasize how good the heads and figures look when the noggins are the right size. This is the kind of work that makes me excited that Megos are back; it needs to happen more often.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Not bad!

Firestorm's tunic is a bit baggy. Bagginess of the prototypes is usually not an issue on the final product (the one this that does get fixed!), but I'm not sure they can do anything to tighten up the tunic before final release. Not a bad figure, but probably me least favorite.

Dr. Fate looks great! Not sure about the black belt buckle and he uses those tiny plug-in Hero Hands that I am not fond of, but he has the new rubber Flash-type boots (hopefully molded in yellow) and was simple enough to do too. And with a little customization, his cape might work nicely for a new 8-inch Robin too.

I love Red Tornado! Suit bagginess should be gone by the final release. Hero Hands... blah! Boots are interesting too, with the way they did the yellow tops. Have to see it to decide if I like it or not.

Both Fate and Red Tornado *looks* like they have full length sleeves too.

Don't know if I will get these or wait for regular body releases though. If I have any Type S bodies left, I will probably transfer them anyway.

Comment

• jeffbearco
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2011

Holy Cow! Can we get them to redo Martian Manhunter using that Red Tornado head???

That aside, all 3 of those look GREAT! As mentioned above, bagginess seems to tighten up a lot for the final release.

I'd want all 3 of these!

JeffBearCO
      Last edited by jeffbearco; Aug 10, '17, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

These look great but I'll wait for regular releases as I'm not a fan of fist fighters.
        They look just like the cool Kenner figures. Awesome news!
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• DC_Guy
          Museum Super Collector
          • Sep 18, 2008

I'm not thrilled about fist fighters either, so I'll probably also wait for the regular releases. Doctor Fate and Red Tornado are must buys for me, and Firestorm too if the baggy uniform thing gets resolved.

Comment

• darkbros
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 3, 2012

Links to Pictures Here

Firestorm: Already thinking of replacing the Red suit with something less baggy..Sure ol MatchHead is supposed to have bell sleeves, but as is it looks an overall mess.
            Red David Lee Suit or a Red Doc Mego suit, would improve it I think. Tunic should have been done as a TOP only, and then yellow shorts. would have made it look
            less bulky overall. Waiting for this to hit the Build A Part section.

Dr. Fate, nice but not a fan of their gloved hands. Yellow Spell Hands is better, maybe I'm just spoiled by David Phillips Dr Fate, or Waterman's *shrugs*
            Waiting for this to hit the Build A Part section.

Red Tornado: Never a favorite character of mine growing up. Liked him in the B&B animated series though. Pass.
            Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
            https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------
            "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• argent007
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 7, 2005

I haven't picked up anything from FTC in awhile, but these are tempting if they fix the clothing.
              My Updated Want List:
              Comic book original art
              1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
              Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                Persistent Member
                • Apr 28, 2013

Yeah, it seems like the clothing gets snugged in for final production and those figures look fantastic!

Comment

• Mary Canary
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 21, 2017

I think Firestorm looks really neat, especially the head sculpt! I think he's probably the coolest (hottest, haha?) of the 3! If I was to get any of them, it would be him! I also think Dr. Fate looks good. He reminds me a bit of the classic Dr. Fate. I think Red Tornado is the least exciting, and does he have a red body or a flesh body? But I think the issues with the clothing looking baggy/sloppy comes down to whoever is styling these figures for the photos. Like obviously they could have fixed the bunching fabric before they took pictures. Otherwise, I think FTC did a really good job with all of them!

Comment

• scott metzger
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                    Holy Cow! Can we get them to redo Martian Manhunter using that Red Tornado head??? JeffBearCO
                    Not a bad idea, actually. Reddy doesn't have a heavy Martian brow, but neither did J'Onn during most of his silver age appearances in JLA. It would be a legitimate variant.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2011

I would still really like to see them do a set of figures based off of the current look and feel of the Justice League with Martian Manhunter having more of a Babylon 5 Membari look. I'd like to see a modern set with more realistic head sculpts and costumes. I know a lot of people are against this though.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                        I would still really like to see them do a set of figures based off of the current look and feel of the Justice League with Martian Manhunter having more of a Babylon 5 Membari look. I'd like to see a modern set with more realistic head sculpts and costumes. I know a lot of people are against this though.

JeffBearCO
                        I'm only against it because I don't actively read new comics anymore; I stopped about a year after DC Comics New 52. Before that, when I was actively reading new comics or even the trades after I stopped buying regular issues, like Superior Spider-Man (which I think came after, because I read them all in trades), I was happy to get figures of those characters, so I understand.

Once we get GOOD classic versions of characters, I'm fine with modern representations of characters. I won't buy many, if any, so that saves me money, but maybe it pulls in a few new collectors, even if it's only for their favorite character.

Comment

• Figure8
                          Museum Patron
                          • May 18, 2016

I'm pleasantly surprised. With this wave all the heads seem to be in scale and I really like the sculpts. Fate looks great! I'm no fan of the plug-in gloves (the one thing that bothers me about GL) and I wonder why FTC have to use the SF-style boots everywhere now, but the good clearly seems to outweigh the bad here. I think I want all three of these and hope I don't have to wait too long until I find a reasonable deal for them over here.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 27, 2011

I'd actually like to have more of the First Appearance figures, plus this era figures, and figures based on the current look of the characters. I can picture the Green Arrow version of this as being very cool!

3 packs like this would be GREAT!

JeffBearCO

Comment

• tiinacat
                              Museum Patron
                              • Feb 4, 2015

Both fist fighters and regular retro back carded figures are out now!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎