Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever order from comic books those plastic military men?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Anyone ever order from comic books those plastic military men?

There was always a page in a comic book that advertised something like '150 piece' set of plastic army men with cannons and other accessories. I'm guessing this was featured for awhile during the 1970s (though maybe during the early 80s). I remember seeing an American Revolutionary War set with the Americans in blue and the British in red. Might of came with horses and Indians too. Then, I think, there was a World War 2 set. Anyone order these? What did they look like? Where they crap?
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by acrovader
    There was always a page in a comic book that advertised something like '150 piece' set of plastic army men with cannons and other accessories. I'm guessing this was featured for awhile during the 1970s (though maybe during the early 80s). I remember seeing an American Revolutionary War set with the Americans in blue and the British in red. Might of came with horses and Indians too. Then, I think, there was a World War 2 set. Anyone order these? What did they look like? Where they crap?
    I never did, but on a classic comic forum I am a part of, we had a thread discussing merch from comic book ads that people bought, and one member posted pics of the set of toy soldiers he got form one of those ads....

This was the ad...

and these were what came...

so I would lean towards yes they were crap as my answer.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

I once ordered a set of original Dr. Who episode tie in novels from the back of a black and white comic. I think it was an issue of Eerie.
      JediJaida

Comment

• rykerw1701
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 27, 2007

My cousin ordered those back 100 years or so ago, and yes, they were really crappy and really, really small. Much smaller than what we would think of for army men or any of the Marx stuff.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

I always wanted to order the Army guy ones but never did.

What I really wanted was this:

It's funny I never realized it doesn't say Battlestar Galactica anywhere...

Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I heard those were flat. What a bait and switch.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Spyweb007
              Persistent Member
              • Apr 18, 2006

Yeah, I ordered them as a kid and was so disappointed . . . I had never seen "Flat" Plastic Soldiers before or since.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Reminds me of this book. If I recall correctly, it was on a "Year's Best" episode of Pod Stallions:

https://www.amazon.com/MAIL-ORDER-MY...MVWHWGEAQ2F6K7

Comment

• SKotK
                  Career Member
                  • Mar 11, 2014

I just remember the 100 army men being advertised as being packaged "in a replica footlocker"!

100 green army men?! In a FOOTLOCKER?!!

I never ordered any myself, but of course I wanted it because it sounded incredible.

Someone else at school got it, however, and it turned out to be those tiny crappy flat plastic army men in this tiny thin cardboard box that had printed graphics that looked vaguely like a footlocker.

What a scam.

That Colonial Warrior jacket, on the other hand...that thing was the shiz. I saw one many years later (assuming it was the same maker), and was pretty impressed by the quality and the buckles. Would have bought it for sure just to wear, but of course it was size ultra small.

--SKot
                  Last edited by SKotK; Feb 21, '17, 7:03 PM.
                  Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• JediJaida
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 14, 2008

I wanted one of those jackets SO bad! But even back then, it would never have fit me, and I was thirteen at the time! Plus, my mother would never have ordered it for me.
                    JediJaida

Comment

• megoat
                      A Therefore Experience
                      • Jun 10, 2003

My brother ordered the army set. The "Footlocker" was a small cardboard box. And yes, the figures were flat two dimensional figures with plastic bases.

Of course the whole thing was a rip off. That's the nature of comic book ads, no?

Comment

• rykerw1701
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by drquest
                        I always wanted to order the Army guy ones but never did.

What I really wanted was this:

It's funny I never realized it doesn't say Battlestar Galactica anywhere...

I remember that ad! I so wanted that jacket, but then I realized it was green, not brown and didn't beg my parents for it. I guess brown would have been too close to the copyright, but it sure looks like they were rolling the dice already.

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

That artwork is so great. Can you imagine the whole family going to the mall in those?

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

As a kid, my dad sold many of the novelties that were advertised in comics including sea monkies. So even as a wee one, I knew all of this stuff was likely disappointing trash.

Oh and X-Ray specs were freaking heart breaking.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^I had a friend actually order those. I think they went straight from the envelope to the trash can.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎