X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Well This Sucks!!

Well this really sucks!! I've been using elastic transparent bands to tighten the heads of my Super Friends figures, the last one just ended with disaster. The last oen I was working on was Robin. But I had to remove the head to get the cape off. Although I was successful, the right arm broke off and I couldn't get it back on. What's worse, the left leg came loose and eventually broke off as well. I had to throw the figure away and I just now ordered a new one. Apparently, the Mego bodies they use must be weak as opposed to Dr. Mego's bodies. I had another figure break on me. The First Appearance Batman with removable cowl. I had to throw the body away. Now, I have the head. cowl. and costume. Has anyone here had any figure break on you?!! I'll say it again. This really sucks!!!
  • ScottA
    Original Member
    • Jun 25, 2001

The First Appearance Robin's leg broke when I took it out of the package and stated to pose it.

It's amazing an original Mego can last 40 years but one made 3 months ago will break if you look at it sideways.
    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• noelani72
      27inaleon
      • Jun 25, 2002

not a fan of their bodies. over the past three years of the re-mego explosion of theirs, of the VERY limited items I do spend my damn hard earned cash on, I have only been satisfied with the body used for the 66Bats Alfred figure. You can buy the headless dressed body for something like $11-$14. It's probably the same body on the whole 66Bats lineup and the new figures, but I don't know. Still, I swap out with an S-Type any chance I get and throw their body in the parts bin.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Yes, the FTC bodies are fragile... but I have not had the best luck with Doc Mego's Bif Bang Pow bodies either. Actually, the only bodies that I have not had break are the Castaway/ZICA bodies.

The body is strung diagonally, so if the internal band breaks, the right arm and left leg will both go (or, naturally, the left arm and right leg if the other one breaks). While there is tutorials on how to restring a body if you are so inclined, I don't blame you for just replacing it. But you should be able to just replace the body and reuse the head and outfit.

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Type-S bodies are the only bodies worth a damn.

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

Just some food for thought: I think you should consider keeping the broken parts. I realize you were frustrated, but lots of folks here could have helped or you could save things like that to trade or sell. It's a better alternative than throwing away into a landfill. Maybe FTC might have sent you a replacement figure too.

When I started here at the Museum a generous member on the board hooked me up with plenty of Mego parts so I could repair a broken body. For free. I forget, but I just needed an arm or leg. Just one. Instead, I was sent a quart sized ziploc bag full of various Mego parts. Good stuff too. Not dog chewed fodder.

I paid that forward by freely sending the next member who requested Mego parts the entire contents of the bag knowing full well--having verified--that what I shipped had the part he needed.

Anyway, that's the kind of community we have here.

And I'm sorry your figure broke.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
              The Man of Many Voices
              • Aug 30, 2005

Thank you for the advice. It was too late and the figure was unsalvagable. I already sent off for a new figure. I will however, send the figure to a friend of mine here on the museum. He offered to fix my broken one, but I couldn't retrieve all the broken parts. So, I will send him the new figure for the purpose of tightening the head. I never could figure out why the heads are so wobbly and loose. When I ordered heads and bodies from Dr. Mego, that wasn't the case. I am not a true customizer. I wish I were, but after this mishap, I no longer trust myself and will look for help in this community in the near future.
              Thanks again.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

You know FTC stands for Fragile Toy Company, right?

Sadly, it's been that since...what...2008? Whenever they released the Munsters was my first encounter. The excuse used to be "blame India". I don't know what it is now.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I really don't have a big problem with their China bodies, much better compared to those India ones in the beginning, they were just plain horrible.
                  China bodies (if needing to be restrung) aren't actually bad, probably the best ones FTC put out.

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

Knock on wood, I haven't really had any problems with FTC bodies. Mind you, when I joined the community here I started with Mattel and Cast-A-Way reMego. Nowadays I own 2 Lucy figures, the ones from India and 1 figure is broken sealed on its card so that says it all. I've a few instances of loose joints like on my Mxy from FTC China or others wound too tightly. Production flaws happens. I bought an EMCE ape new sealed backwards in her package and got a Chekov with 2 lefts or right hands, i can't recall exactly which. I don't blame Dr Mego nor do I blame FTC, provided they stand by their product and, for me, they have.

As for the heads, let's be fair, I know there are plenty of folks like me who have had woobly EMCE heads. My Dr Who Matt Smith is my prime example, but not the only exception. We've some nice tutorials as simple workarounds that apply to both brands.

Here's the part of why I like the retro cloth figures the most: when they break they are somewhat or mostly salvageable. I've plenty of toys where, when, say, the hand broke on my Toy Biz 12" Green Goblin I was out of luck. All I could do is glue the hand back on. With retro cloth you replace the broken part or do a body swap. Impossible with other toys.

I don't think anyone would argue that Zica or CAW offer the superior reMego bodies overall, but in my estimation both DM and FTC offer bodies that are functional enough, unlike Mattel ' s retro cloth days. Folks mileage will vary between the two. I personally vouch for DM over FTC due to the swivel arms and screw mounted torso, but as a buyer of both brands I am mostly satisfied with both. I am relieved the days of upgrading Mattel to CAW or Zica are behind me because it got expensive. We've others who have voiced displeasure with FTC and DM bodies, but I'd like to think they either have bad luck with whatever FTC product they open, or they hold Mego in high esteem and use vintage parts, or they're like MM member Teemu and prefer Zica's bandless bodies. I would too, but they're almost double the cost.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by ScottA
                      The First Appearance Robin's leg broke when I took it out of the package and stated to pose it.

It's amazing an original Mego can last 40 years but one made 3 months ago will break if you look at it sideways.
                      Same with mine!

Comment

• PeterRR
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Jun 2, 2008

I think it's time to really update the bodies and outfits. With technology today they can make a more articulated bidy and better fitting uniforms. I think FTC cashed in on the mego type 2 bodies and its time to move on. The figures are not cheap anymore. My local comic book store sells them gor $35 a pop. Just think how much money they can make selling a more articulated body alone.

Comment

• Teemu
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                          Type-S bodies are the only bodies worth a damn.
                          This a million times...S-type is the ONLY reason why I bought ANY FTC product,otherwise I would of passed on everything they have made

Comment

• tllgn
                            Persistent Member
                            • Feb 6, 2010

I personally think changing the bodies takes away what a mego is.true better quality plastic .and quality control could make a better product.but I like the FTC bodies despite some flaws .i have buying mego since the 70s.and its like mego continued.and like mentioned before.their an easy fix.I have repaired Dr mego /emce /bif bang pow/ figures for various reasons.and ftc bodies with the same problems.the only things I didn't like and were not worth repairing were the made in India ftc bodies..i don't have these s body's -soul be extremely expensive to replace so many figures.and for display not necessary.bandless bodies-that's just not a mego .i soul only use Dr mego bodies for emce figures like the marvel sets.and ftc made in china for ftc India and current figures.but that's just works for me.do what is best for your figures .the way you like them.toys are ment to be for fun.

Comment

• wise guy
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 29, 2014

I don't switch out the bodies either since this is too expensive and I collect these as
                              they are . When you switch a FTC figure to other bodies it becomes a custom so why buy
                              FTC figures at all when you can buy the heads, and suits, and do it that way ?
                              If little kids are going to play with them that might be a good reason because these
                              are made for adult collectors. FTC has to make a better body if they wan't more collector's
                              to buy. I have more broken EMCE bodies than FTC bodies

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎