X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figure8
    Museum Patron
    • May 18, 2016

Choose your Fate

Now that FTC has officially announced the Super Powers Dr Fate - what are your hopes and wishes for that figure? I'm really looking forward to it and would like to see a discussion BEFORE it's actually released. Maybe FTC might even take a few hints ...

Helmet: I want it removable. There's a risk it will be awkward, but a molded version just seems wrong (and cheap) for this character.

Cape: I wish they'd go with a traditional Mego-like cape. The heavier cloth FTC has been using just seems a bit too sophisticated for this line.

Boots: Traditional!

Gloves: That's almost the hardest part. I've yet to see a truly convincing alternative to the infamous oven mitts. Mattel's cuffs looked almost as awkward as oven mitts. FTC's molded gloves are either too delicate (Batman 66) or too clumsy (Fistfighter Flash) for my taste. I'm guessing they will go with the '66 gloves' which were already used for GL. I could live with those, but I might prefer well-made cuffs as seen on EMCE's Marvel Retro-sets.

What do you think?
  • smonte00
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 19, 2005

I think with all the enormous heads we're getting on these FTC figures lately, we might end up with a 1/6 scale helmet if they go the removeable helmet route. I think I'd like a deluxe cape on this one too. No fraying.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Yeah, a removable helmet scares me with the head scale issues, but if they could do it, be nice if it was Gold like a romulan helmet and all the rest more detailed than old timey mego figures. FTC needs to evolve on designs with the superheroes in general like they have been doing with the new figures like the Titans and Batman 66
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I don't think a removable helmet makes any sense for Dr Fate.
        Yellow hero boots and yellow hands (no gloves) is how I think Mego would've done it.
        I'm hoping for simple and clean.
        I agree those fancy new capes wouldn't work either.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Check out BATMAN89's Fate custom and you'll see exactly how I wanna see him made.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Figure8
            Museum Patron
            • May 18, 2016

Originally posted by Brown Bear
            Check out BATMAN89's Fate custom and you'll see exactly how I wanna see him made.
            Yes. That is one nice-looking Fate!

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'd say generally I'm against FTC trying removable masks and helmets. But, a gold-metallicized one over a blond, blue-eyed Bruce Wayne repro head could look cool.

I'm fine with yellow Robin '66 gloves.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Who do you have under the helmet if it's removable? Kent Nelson or Hector Hall?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I like the Hall update for Fate, but it's Kent for me for the classic "Mego" look.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jacoblb
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 7, 2009

I'm excited to see the prototypes of Dr. Fate and Red Tornado. I'm finally catching up on all these DC FTC figures. (Expecting wave 3 & 4 from Super Friends any day now.) Only Shazam, T.T, Supes, and Shazam left.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 9, 2013

I definitely want classic Nelson. I'd prefer a removable helmet but I'd rather have a in scale non-removable than a out of scale removable helmet. In the comics his costume is blue and yellow so that is what I want. The gold is cool looking I admit and I would still like it. Gold for Hector would be cool. What bugs me about Dr Fate figures is when they use yellow and gold together. They have done this with Captain Marvel figures too. The argument is that the yellow is supposed to be gold. I don't necessarily agree with that but be consistent. It's all one color or the other please.

Comment

• Figure8
                        Museum Patron
                        • May 18, 2016

Scale is all-important. But with FTC there's a good chance we'll get a molded helmet that's still oversized ... I'm not really buying into the 'yellow is gold' argument. When I first got the Mattel Retro-Shazam it looked kind of grand with the gold parts. But the more I looked at the figure the less I liked it. It didn't help that they used different 'shades' of gold on the figure, and the cuffs actually looked kind of cheap.

Comment

• Chippupperty
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 5, 2004

Originally posted by Figure8
                          Scale is all-important. But with FTC there's a good chance we'll get a molded helmet that's still oversized ... I'm not really buying into the 'yellow is gold' argument. When I first got the Mattel Retro-Shazam it looked kind of grand with the gold parts. But the more I looked at the figure the less I liked it. It didn't help that they used different 'shades' of gold on the figure, and the cuffs actually looked kind of cheap.
                          Maybe....if the helmet is too oversized...it could get cut off and used with a head as a removable one....that's my first thought

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

IDK, sometimes yellow is gold and sometimes it's just yellow. Personally, I like Captain Marvel in gold and the Flash in yellow. WW in gold and Superman in yellow.

At any rate, if FTC were to do a removable helmet in gold, I'd like the amulet to match and the rest to be yellow. But all yellow is fine, too

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              ...At any rate, if FTC were to do a removable helmet in gold, I'd like the amulet to match and the rest to be yellow. But all yellow is fine, too
                              I would go with this. Helmet and Amulet gold, rest yellow, or all yellow. No preference, but if people want to really stick to a Mego aesthetic, I guess I would go with all yellow.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎