X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Hawkman: The Biggest Challenge for FTC?

Whether it be Super Friends, Super Powers, or the DCU in general, I can't help but wonder what the biggest challenge will be for FTC in making Hawkman (or Hawkgirl for that matter) What do you think? Is it the wings or the head piece(s)? I myself think it will be an even toss up. I know the bubble on the card will have to be larger. I'm anxious to complete the Super Friends. Any thoughts?
  • Riderfan
    Megos are cool
    • Feb 14, 2012

IMO, probably simple economics, and maybe the fear of failure.

The outfit would be pretty easy, really not much different than Manhunter from Mars.

But the head sculpt would be pretty intricate, and this is a company that has issues with even the simplest of heads, such as bald Lex Luthor.

(not trying to start a discussion/argument, just regurgitating what has been said many times)

Then there's wings. Yup, can probably mass produce those in China cheaper than what DM offers but, as you pointed out, Hawkman would require new packaging. that means more $$$

My point is, by design, Hawkman would be expensive to produce, and to buy.

But you could always 'roll your own' if you like:

Hello fellow Mego people, Hawkman was my first custom, from about a year ago. I just finished Hawkgirl (finally!) Thought I'd share them with you. Heads painted by me. Austin supplied Hawkgirl, Brian supplied Hawkman, as well as both outfits. Laser Mego decal, everything else is from Doc. I guess what I like most

Or wait just a little bit longer-FTC has been known to surprise us.

K
    I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

FTC can totally do this right--if they really want to. It's new tooling for the wings, but figures like Mr. Freeze, Gleek, and Cyborg prove that can be done well. Heck, DC Direct wings work perfectly for customs, instant prototype.

The make-or-break is the head sculpt and scale IMO. I'm dead-set against a removable mask, those seldom look right in scale, and scale is already a concern.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I'm sure FTC looks at the economics of producing a new part as far as reuse goes. Hawk wings could be used for 3 sets of hawks, SF, Golden and Silver Age, and again for Golden Eagle in the Titans line. So that is seven uses for them. Then if they produce them in a few other colors as a customizing option, like say white for instance, I'm sure there will be more sales of wings.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• greensavage2000
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 9, 2013

When they started with the DC figures, very early on when they announced the Farrow was doing the head sculpts I swear Hawkman was one of the sculpts they said he'd done. You have to wonder what's been happening here. I do have a feeling he'll be in the next Super Powers wave. My prediction is:

Hawkman
          Dr. Fate
          Firestorm
          Red Tornedo

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

I wonder if FTC could pay to use the Four Horsemen wing molds for the Hawks? Not sure if they are large enough but the design is nice...

Comment

• Figure8
              Museum Patron
              • May 18, 2016

When they started with the DC figures, very early on when they announced the Farrow was doing the head sculpts I swear Hawkman was one of the sculpts they said he'd done. You have to wonder what's been happening here. I do have a feeling he'll be in the next Super Powers wave. My prediction is:

Hawkman
              Dr. Fate
              Firestorm
              Red Tornedo[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right. Those are all figures I would definitely want. I remember seeing a really nice prototype Hawkman sculpt here, and I think it was by the Farrow and meant for the Mattel Retro-Action line. Too bad FTC can't use that one. Hawkman's wings are a reall challenge. If they make them in a realistic size they'll probably have to enlarge the bubble. Of course the wings might be detachable, but they would still be awkward to fit in the regular bubble.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know that the Farrow was involved with any Mattel sculpts. At any rate, I'm almost positive another sculptor did a removable-mask Hawkman prototype for Mattel--which was shown at MegoMeet years ago.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drogge
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 24, 2009

I think the head sculpt would be simple, they should use material similar to what the play sets are made of, laminated paper, with snap hinges that allow them to fold or spread. They would either snap on or strap on. Mego should not be over designed, in my opinion.

Comment

• TomStrong
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I don't know that the Farrow was involved with any Mattel sculpts. At any rate, I'm almost positive another sculptor did a removable-mask Hawkman prototype for Mattel--which was shown at MegoMeet years ago.
                    Would love to see that!

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

Screen print wings with a wire through the top would be Mego-esque and probably not much more difficulty to do than the capes with the wires.

Comment

• Teemu
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by scott metzger
                        Screen print wings with a wire through the top would be Mego-esque and probably not much more difficulty to do than the capes with the wires.
                        plastic wings,Don't want CHEAP looking wings...look at MOTU classics angela/Vultak....they can easily have snap on wings (with detail) to attach to his harness

Comment

• Figure8
                          Museum Patron
                          • May 18, 2016

Originally posted by Teemu
                          plastic wings,Don't want CHEAP looking wings.
                          I completely agree with you.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Teemu
                            plastic wings,Don't want CHEAP looking wings...look at MOTU classics angela/Vultak....they can easily have snap on wings (with detail) to attach to his harness
                            This, a thousand times this. DC Direct had terrific ball-jointed wings on Hawk-family figures over a decade ago. Two little holes punched into the back torso to pop the wings into and voila!. Or, as you say, add them to the harness. But my assumption is that the harness will be sewn/decorative like Martian Manhunter's, and the wings inserted into the torso would be more secure and poseable.

I'm not at all in favor of cloth or cardboard wings, any more than I'd have liked a cloth or cardboard quiver on Green Arrow.

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              This, a thousand times this. DC Direct had terrific ball-jointed wings on Hawk-family figures over a decade ago. Two little holes punched into the back torso to pop the wings into and voila!. Or, as you say, add them to the harness. But my assumption is that the harness will be sewn/decorative like Martian Manhunter's, and the wings inserted into the torso would be more secure and poseable.

I'm not at all in favor of cloth or cardboard wings, any more than I'd have liked a cloth or cardboard quiver on Green Arrow.
                              though I would prefer an actual removable plastic harness piece because my Superfriends Hawkman is going on the S-type

this really wouldn't be a hard thing for FTC to do,they just need to listen their customers

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎