X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Official Star Wars Watches

Does anything still use the spelled out names like "Artoo Detoo" or are we past that now?For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I think I need these in my life.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I was fascinated with the spelled out "Artoo Deetoo" on my Burger King collector glasses. The idea of spelling out something that was already spelled out really was mind blowing to me at the time.

Oddly, while you never see it done for R2-D2 and C3-PO anymore... fans would never write "OB-1". They still spell it out as Obi-Wan. Wasn't his name kind of the same thing?

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Good point Sprytel. There were other droids I've seen them do that with, such as Eve Ninedeenine and Two Onebee. But you're right, they don't do it anymore. Poor Beebee Eight.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

I remember most of the tie-in literature and merchandise at the time used the spelled out names most often.
          You do still see it in some SW stuff today, mostly when the abbreviated versions are used ("Artoo" and "Threepio").
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Hmm. Got the double e on 3-Po, but not on R2. Darth Vadar? Watch out Rolex. (no pun intended)
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Actually, I'm pretty sure "Detoo" has always had one 'e' . The 'a' in "Vadar" must be a carry over from the "Darth Vadar Lives" button that Factors Inc. put out. Interesting that it's spelled correctly on the watch itself.

This thread got really weird, didn't it?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎