X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Gre-Gory: Big Bad Vampire Bat by Mattel

It finally happened, I got my hands on a Gre-Gory. After posting my disappointment ten years ago (ulp!) I found a good deal on one and decided to take the plunge.

More photos after the jump and my observations as I have never seen or held one of these in my life.

My first impression from the box is how small it is, I was expecting Gre to be the size of a Mattel Rodan. He's actually about 12 inches long, so I totally don't have to worry about space.

Of course, I wanted this toy more than air for a week when I was eight, so i was super excited to see what the fuss was all about.

Gre-Gory is sort of the cadillac version of a dime store bat made by Imperial toys or Ben Cooper. He's bigger, heavier and has neat effects but he's still a big rubber bat.

The Neat-o blood effect still kind of works on mine, it's thicker so it's kind of like a lava lamp but this would have impressed me for a while as a tot.

Mattel lists two other features, the first is to hold him by the back and make his wings flap. Ok that's not a huge selling feature Mattel.

The final feature listed is his soft teeth that he can sink into your flesh. As a kid, I assumed it would created some sort of blood sucking effect. I wouldn't hold this against Mattel, I also expected Sea Monkies to look like people and build kingdoms.

It only took me 38 years to track down Gre-Gory (and the same amount of time to get that his name is a play on "Gregory") but it's fun to add him to the collection.For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • greensavage2000
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 9, 2013

Congratulations on your score. Getting a much wanted toy is always a great feeling. Thanks for the pics too. It does look like an awesome bat toy. Maybe it can team up with Pulsar and compete for best blood flow.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Cool! I remember the ads in the comics for Gre-Gory and thinking how awesome it looked.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Congrats! My childhood frenemy up the street had one, and I recall how heavy it was. It got a lot of play, basically being a real vampire that attacked our necks. And you could really whack the stuffing out of someone with this thing!

Glad to see it again after all these years, and I'm happy he's got a good home!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The "blood" in mine, sadly, dried out years ago. But he still has a lot of charm.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I have a vivid memory of seeing this, and the Filmation Flash Gordon figure catalogue-packs, at my local Sears Outlet. How I wish I had bought them.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

I have never, ever, EVER seen a Gre-Gory anywhere. Not in the wild at least.
              BATS off to you!

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Wanted this so bad! Just for the name even!

Comment

• Marvelmania
                  A Ray of Sunshine
                  • Jun 17, 2001

Wow, sooooo cool! I expected it to be about 3 feet long though hahhaha!

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Given that it was Mattel, who did Pulsar, was the blood circulation effect similar?

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^A little more streamlined--Mattel used it for MOTU's Mosquitor, too.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎