Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funko Pop! classic Strawberry Shortcake.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Funko Pop! classic Strawberry Shortcake.

First things first.

Yes, they are scented and it is fitting Strawberry Shortcake is the first line of Pop! figures to be scented. On the downside they don't smell like the original dolls. Strawberry and Huck have a strong berry scent but it's more like the smell of scented candles or soaps than the original dolls. The Pieman is also technically scented. It's actually more of an odor. He is supposed to have a cinnamon apple scent. Umm, yeah, it's not that. He just kinda smells bad.

I think the Pop! figures are hit and miss and the style works better with some properties than others. Since the Strawberry Shortcake dolls already had oversized heads, the Pop! style works pretty good for them. It's helped further that Funko kept the original oval nose design of the Kenner dolls and didn't try to use their usual triangle style. I think they are really cute and I love the pets. The flaws on these are they stand poorly. Only Strawberry Shortcake can stand unassisted. Wish they had come with stands. The other problem I had is the pattern on the Pieman's chef hat sort of looks to be a type of decal and is sticky on the back.

The Purple Pieman is shared convention exclusive and sold at Barnes and Nobles. The Strawberry Shortcake and Huckleberry Pie 2 pack is a shared exclusive with the New York Comic Con and Hot Topic. It's not mentioned on the package but Strawberry looks to be based on her Kenner Party Pleaser doll. The other figures in the set are regular Strawberry Shortcake, Blue Berry Muffin, Orange Blossom and Lemon Meringue.

These are the first Pop! figures I've collected. It's very hard for me to pass up classic Strawberry Shortcake toys. But I can't see myself really picking up any of the other licenses they have, though. For example, I really like Scooby Doo but I don't think the characters really work in this style.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Oct 24, '16, 9:08 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Cindy saw the regular figures at our LCS and flipped. I believe some will make it under the tree this year...

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

Still all in all they do look very cool!! You would think that quality control would know first off about the standing problems and make the easy fix with a stand. It couldn't cost that much to have included one.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

All of the pops we have stand pretty well, except for Cindy's Belle in her blue dress from Beauty and the Beast. She topples over quite often.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Marvelmania
          Still all in all they do look very cool!!
          They are very cool. The pets are awesome and really I like how they all have little smiles. Well, except for the berry bird who has a cute little frown.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          All of the pops we have stand pretty well, except for Cindy's Belle in her blue dress from Beauty and the Beast.
          I've also picked up regular Strawberry Shortcake and Blueberry Muffin. Same as the others, only Strawberry Shortcake can stand unassisted. Wish these would have came with some kind of little stand or base to put them on.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Marvelmania
            A Ray of Sunshine
            • Jun 17, 2001

Yeah Chris, these will make some fun presents at Christmas. I know I'll have to grab them for my niece!

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

The rest of the set.

Lemon Meringue, Strawberry Shortcake, Orange Blossom and Blueberry Muffin

Lemon and Orange smell really nice. Strawberry and Blueberry have a pleasant berry smell but it's kind of faint. Orange and Blueberry cannot stand unassisted. I think Lemon's pet frog, Frappe, is a hair too small. I'm also little disappointed Orange's pet, Marmalade, doesn't have a smile like the rest of the pets. The promo images and the box art all show Marmalade with a cute little smile.

All in all, even with the standing issues, I think they are really cute and I'd be happy to pick up more classic Strawberry Shortcake figures in this style if they decide to continue the series.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I forgot to mention after the Purple Pieman has been out of his package for a few days the back of his hat isn't so sticky anymore. Still smells terrible, mind you, but at least he isn't sticky.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                  A Ray of Sunshine
                  • Jun 17, 2001

I think I like the Strawberry Shortcake from the 2 pack the best. Only because of the dress is cuter

Comment

• msenger76
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

I bought the 2 pack just for the huckleberry pie.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎