X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

My new Speed Racer find

While taking the gf out dining and shopping we visited a Target store in all of our ventures yesterday. I did not see these before or I would have bought some the last time that I went. I just found and aquired some of these nice looking chrome like Speed Racer cars. They look pretty nice and at only $7.99 for a three pack seemed to me like a good deal. For those of you that are interested in this type of collectible what do you guys/gals think of these?

Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Target and Wal-Mart appear to be flooded with Speed Racer stuff....
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

Is it just me, or does the movie look awful based on the trailers that are out? I think I felt a seizure coming on the last time I saw one.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

^ It's not a "must-see" for me by no means...maybe a drive-in flick?
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• spaceace35
          Career Member
          • Feb 1, 2008

looks like a great deal to me
          Rockin Rebels

Comment

• livnxxxl
            • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by The Toyroom
            Target and Wal-Mart appear to be flooded with Speed Racer stuff....
            You can sure say that again. I was thinking the same thing the other day.

Comment

• livnxxxl
              • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by stevemoore
              Is it just me, or does the movie look awful based on the trailers that are out? I think I felt a seizure coming on the last time I saw one.
              I would tend to agree with you. It is not just you it is that the movie trailers DO look awful. I guess if I were still a kid I might enjoy or appreciate it a bit more. For now I will just enjoy the cool toys that keep flooding the market.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                Made in the USA
                • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                ...maybe a drive-in flick?
                ...They still have Drive-Ins...?

By the time I was old enough, they closed the one near me...I think it was one of the last ones on the (Long) Island.

My son wants to see it, so I guess I'm going...I gotta admit, I'm curious...not excited, but curious...
                Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Cardzilla
                  • Nov 25, 2007

The 3-pack chrome set is very cool. I picked up mine at a local Target about 3 weeks ago. The only thing I'm disappointed is that it's not all die-cast.

TRU is flooded with Speed Racer stuff too. Last week, I finally found (1:64 scale) die-cast versions of Mach 4, Mach 6 and Speed Racer Street Car from Hot Wheels. There are 4 in the set and each car is priced at $4.99. I'm still looking for Mach 5.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Not a bad package. Cool find! The movie itself however is something entirely different. I'm just not feeling it. The effects look too conceptualized and I deplore the idea they are retiring the Mach 5 in favor of a 'Mach 6' in the very first film. That car is 99% of the reason why I watched the cartoon as a kid, so why they think the car needs to be changed is just bizaare to me. I believe the film is pretty much dead on arrival. I have liked some of the Mach 5's on the toy shelves (and the one featured on this thread is well done). But I've held off buying any because their not completely faithful to the cartoon version.

Many years ago (1997) a toy company called ReSaurus made what, in my humble opinion, was the definitive Mach 5. 12+ inches long and every accessory the Mach 5 had - saws, jacks, homing bird; even a pop up periscope. It came with Spridle and Chim Chim. I liked it so much I bought two of them. To this day I haven't seen anything that beat's it. But for those that are backing this movie, I truly hope the experience is a great one for them. For myself, ticket prices are getting ridiculous, even for matinees, so if my vibe is not a good one, I will wait for a video rental and watch it on my
                    47" HDTV. The evolution of home theater has reached a point where you now have a choice and can say no to these inflated prices.

Comment

• Iron_fox85
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 14, 2008

my brother too compalins tat its not like the orginal design, however i did buy hom something of the film he likes it---i got least two speed racer cars-----target had them for 2:99 so walmart is cheaper cus its 1-something.

In June Of 1938 A Hero Is Born...

Comment

• livnxxxl
                        • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Not a bad package. Cool find!)
                        Thanks! I like it because One, the cars have the chrome look. Two, it is a Target exclusive and all of the rest of the retail stores will not be flooded with them.

The movie itself however is something entirely different. I'm just not feeling it. The effects look too conceptualized and I deplore the idea they are retiring the Mach 5 in favor of a 'Mach 6' in the very first film. That car is 99% of the reason why I watched the cartoon as a kid, so why they think the car needs to be changed is just bizaare to me. I believe the film is pretty much dead on arrival. I have liked some of the Mach 5's on the toy shelves (and the one featured on this thread is well done).
                        I would agree on all of the above statements.

Many years ago (1997) a toy company called ReSaurus made what, in my humble opinion, was the definitive Mach 5. 12+ inches long and every accessory the Mach 5 had - saws, jacks, homing bird; even a pop up periscope. It came with Spridle and Chim Chim. I liked it so much I bought two of them. To this day I haven't seen anything that beat's it.
                        That sounds cool. Would you happen to have a good picture or a link of one? I may be interested in buying one of those for myself. I have another Mach 5 that is older now. I am not sure what release it is or who made it. I bought it years ago at Toys R US I "think". You have me curious I will now be on a quest to dig it out of the attic and see it again.

I will wait for a video rental and watch it on my 47" HDTV. The evolution of home theater has reached a point where you now have a choice and can say no to these inflated prices.
                        It is not so much about the price of the movies to me these days as is the privacy. I don't like to be bothered while I am taking in a good movie. I also like it quiet when I am watching a movie and when one has a bunch of teenie boppers and young infants around that is something you will not get these days at the movie theatres. I like to be able to focus and concentrate on the movie without people getting up and about every so often and opening the doors letting in light to go do whatever it is they go to do. One of my motto's is that kids are great so long as they are someone elses. Like they say there is no place like home. I have a mini movie theatre inside my home thanks to modern technology. I use it to watch good movies that I like with the gf and we also entertain guests from time to time. I do still like and miss the buttered pop corn from the movie theatres though. I have a newer old time nostalgic pop corn popper cart in my movie room. Some how it is like hot dogs at the ball park. The pop corn is good, but I guess it is just the atmosphere that makes it better. ???

Comment

• ZICA
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 7, 2006

Many years ago (1997) a toy company called ReSaurus made what, in my humble opinion, was the definitive Mach 5. 12+ inches long and every accessory the Mach 5 had - saws, jacks, homing bird; even a pop up periscope. It came with Spridle and Chim Chim. I liked it so much I bought two of them. To this day I haven't seen anything that beat's it.
                          I've got that same car and I agree, they did an outstanding job on the design. A company called Toynami put out what I believe is the exact same car but with a slightly different paint scheme. I'm pretty sure they bought the molds from Resaurus when the company went out of business.

Comment

• ZICA
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2006

Almost forgot, Art Asylum also did a Mach 5 in the same scale and design as the Resaurus version. It actually has a metallic looking paint scheme.

Comment

• Beatnik
                              Museum Patron
                              • Apr 2, 2008

This is the Resaurus Mach 5, it's pretty cool and truly a toy you can actually play with. It was called a playset and came with some cool accessories. The other is the Ertl version isn't bad, but the jacks are pretty cheesy.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎