X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilbrosj66
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 4, 2011

FTC Lex Luthor head review

So I have had an FTC wheelchair, suit and body waiting for the perfect Professor X head for some time. When the latest parts hit the CTVT site, I finally ordered the new Lex head.

What a disappointment! The pictures pretty much say it all but the head is way too big (almost the same size as Thor's) and the sculpt is completely rough and unfinished!

How does this kind of thing keep getting approved at FTC? This, and the pic I posted last week of the Ma Kent head, have helped me decide I will not be ordering any figures from this wave or for that matter any more sub-par figures from FTC in general. I just can't justify wasting my money on this kind of thing. It's not OK.

P1050844.jpg

P1050845.jpg

P1050846.jpg

P1050847.jpg

P1050848.jpg
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

That's horrible. Shrink it and recast it and sand it down and it won't be too bad...

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

And give it a new neck post that holds it in the torso better!

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Wow that looks like a bobble head
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• lilbrosj66
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          And give it a new neck post that holds it in the torso better!
          Yeah. That's the other thing. It wobbles like crazy!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

What is with the lack of smoothness to these sculpts? It can't all be happening in China. The sculptor has got to be at fault for some of these problems with that and the oversized heads. The repro stuff from them seems to come out the right size, so why not the new heads?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

They can't get it right, but Mattel could?

Comment

• JediJaida
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 14, 2008

Kind of a scary thought, isn't it?
                JediJaida

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

No excuses, that's bad. I didn't pre-order these like I normally do and I am glad I didn't. I think I will order a Superboy and call it a day unless the Kents look good in person.

I won't rule out future pre-orders, like the Super Friends, but fringe waves will probably be a wait and see thing for me now.

Comment

• Slarivier
                    • Sep 21, 2014

I stopped doing pre-orders after FTC's 1966 Batgirl -- I've been waiting on a few of the newer heads and costumes to see how they turn out before ordering and then placing on the Zica body. And I'm so glad I did -- this Luthor head is embarrasingly bad. The comparison shot with 1:6 Thor is just shameful. I can't help but feel that they're either running out of money, or sales are declining. Either way, aside from a few other figures (The new Super friends look amazing, but, again, I'm waiting to see real pictures of figures in hand), I think I'm done with this line. And I'm so very sad to say that.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      What is with the lack of smoothness to these sculpts? It can't all be happening in China. The sculptor has got to be at fault for some of these problems with that and the oversized heads. The repro stuff from them seems to come out the right size, so why not the new heads?
                      This lack of quality sits squarely on the head of the sculptor. No where else. And the fact that FTC approves this type of thing is inexcusable.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, there's been plenty of excuses all along . Yes, that sounds churlish, but I don't much care anymore. This offering is sad; or, at least it makes me sad.

Despite the assurances, despite the encouragement to be patient and supportive, this is frustrating. Is it a big deal? Theoretically, no. But it's like the death of a thousand cuts. It's one thing to pass on figures you can't afford or don't want to collect, and quite another to pass on ones you'd like but can't justify due to poor production.

I hope apathy and cherry-picking don't eighty-six FTC, truly. Because a lot of cool stuff is planned. And IMO Mego fans have been incredibly supportive, all things considered.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

IIRC, wasn't this wave late?

To me, it looks like a manufacturing plant who produces a lot of 12" parts put these on the same line. FTC probably told them it was wrong, and the plant just DGAD them back and told 'em to pay up for corrections.

Originally posted by Slarivier
                          I can't help but feel that they're either running out of money, or sales are declining.
                          That's been my feeling from early on, but the fact they don't clarify how this happens, and then don't permanently correct it, kills the normal excuses.

If FTC said "it's no longer possible to mass produce vinyl heads and achieve correct scales, so we're moving onto a harder plastic", I'd applaud.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            Oh, there's been plenty of excuses all along . Yes, that sounds churlish, but I don't much care anymore. This offering is sad; or, at least it makes me sad.

Despite the assurances, despite the encouragement to be patient and supportive, this is frustrating. Is it a big deal? Theoretically, no. But it's like the death of a thousand cuts. It's one thing to pass on figures you can't afford or don't want to collect, and quite another to pass on ones you'd like but can't justify due to poor production.

I hope apathy and cherry-picking don't eighty-six FTC, truly. Because a lot of cool stuff is planned. And IMO Mego fans have been incredibly supportive, all things considered.
                            It truly is like the "death of a thousand cuts". I am buying less and less of their product because of the lame head sculpts. I just end up being disappointed each and every time. Especially with the females heads.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

I did get a Pa Kent head for a custom and it is the right size, maybe even a tad small.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎