X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Spotlight: The Original Stretch Armstrong

I haven't done a photo review in over a year? Thank goodness for the new Jazwares Original Stretch Armstrong.

In the past few years, there's been talk of a movie and even an animated series but the only thing I give a toss about is a reproduction of the big guy himself. I'll explain (and show) more after the jump:

Let me start off by saying that Stretch Armstrong is one of my happiest and saddest experiences with toys growing up. A seventh birthday gift, I relentlessly lobbied for him and loved the hell out of him, even taking him to bed when temptation got a hold of me.

Yup, I had to know what was inside and ol' Stretch was never quite the same (the corn syrup was red BTW which wasn't great). I was left with a mountain of regret and in my house, it was a "One Strike, You're Out" when it came to breaking a toy.

So Stretch would haunt me for years.

Flash forward to the late 90s, the internet and disposable income had me track down a vintage MIB Stretch for a reasonable sum but he was rock solid (as these tend to get) and it wasn't the same. I eventually sold him during a purge when I had my first kid.

When this figure finally got announced, I was excited, which is rare these days. So I conned a good pal into bringing me back one from Vacation when they started appearing in NY area Target stores.

So how is he?
    As reproductions go, this is pretty darn swell. The head is a wonderful reproduction of the original.

There are subtle differences from the original Stretch but they don't detract from the fun experience. The box art is understandably different and the Stretch mat is no longer included (I never used it as a kid anyway)

He's slightly smaller but that also means he no longer weighs 80 pounds. There is still some sort of goo inside that hurts like hell if you try to punch him.

His fabric thong is now painted on, so there is no chance of having a nekkid Stretch.

Speaking of Stretching, does he still work?

Well it's hard to take photos and work this thing, so I had to employ a local teenager.

He does as advertised!

In summation, I'm very happy to have this guy back in my life and at $25 he was well worth it. If you have kids under ten, Stretch should go under the tree this year.

They're available at Target in the retro games aisle but also through Amazon (of which this blog gets a teensy piece if you click this link) and I heartily recommend this for you.

As an added incentive, Jazwares has hinted on Twitter that Stretch Monster will be next. So buy two, they're cheap!

Check out our vintage Stretch Armstrong Archive For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Great review. Your Stretch story is one of sorrow, as was mine. But at least you were able to have one if only for the briefest of moments.

Love that close-up shot of his face. What a visage!!
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• starsky
      veteran member
      • Aug 26, 2007

yup, picked two up myself. the one i got in 1977 was short lived. i got it for xmas and when i unwrapped him it was bitter sweet. i was happy to get stretch but not happy to see that he had already sprung a leak and was covered with red goo before i even had a chance to get my grubby hands on him! my mom went to exchange it, but alas, sears was sold out and could only offer a refund.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

I still would really like to find the "World's Smallest" Stretch. The only memory I have of this is my friend Aaron's Stretch when I was a kid. We would stretch him out, and have him capture his old GIJoes. I don't know if he broke him or anything. One day, Stretch just wasn't there anymore.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 26, 2008

I had him and the monster, mine seemed to last a pretty good while best I can remember. I have a picture somewhere of me and the stretch monster on Christmas morning. Might have to go check out the new one soon.
          Chad

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

So happy to see Stretch get some love here!! I'm from Nova Scotia, so when I visited Boston a few weeks ago I bought three of 'em. One for me and each of my brothers. We all loved Stretch!
            And my brother Mark had a very similar sad story. When he was old enough to work and have his own money when eBay was new to us, he spent a small fortune for an original MIB one and after a few months he kind of exploded under the bed for no good reason. I'll never forget his face when he found him laying in a pool of his own insides (and Mom's reaction to the carpet damage).
            Stretch Monster has been at the top of my want list forever!!
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'm tempted by this. I had Stretch and the Monster, and even then, I liked the Monster better. Maybe it was because he had more play value with other lines like Megos, since I had none of the Super Foes.

My son had (and still has) the movie Mr. Fantastic from 10 years ago, and he had a lot of fun with that. Maybe Dani would like a Stretch Armstrong?

Great review. Thanks for sharing!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• megoat
                A Therefore Experience
                • Jun 10, 2003

I typically don't buy repro toys but this one was a must have since I will never buy an original. Me and my daughter have been playing with it.

I tossed the packaging immediately. Anybody making a good vintage repro box for this guy?

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Awesome review! I absolutely love this figure. A truly iconic piece of 70's treasure. So happy they stayed accurate to the details of what made him work.

Comment

• acrovader
                    Career Member
                    • Jan 19, 2011

I don't see the big appeal of this toy. Where's the play value apart from stretching his limbs?
                    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by acrovader
                      I don't see the big appeal of this toy. Where's the play value apart from stretching his limbs?
                      Wrasslin'
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• starsky
                        veteran member
                        • Aug 26, 2007

i wish his eyebrows weren't so dark though. doesn't match his blonde hair. lol

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

I don't see the big appeal of this toy.
                          Nostalgia is subjective. We've all had toys that, for whatever reason, just kind of clicked with us. I'm just happy for the people that love Stretch Armstrong that he finally got reissued.
                          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brown Bear
                            Still Old School
                            • Feb 14, 2008

Now we need a reissued Big Jim's PACK
                            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by RSS

When this figure finally got announced, I was excited, which is rare these days. So I conned a good pal into bringing me back one from Vacation when they started appearing in NY area Target stores.
                              I still think it was kind of freaky that we got your text just as we were literally driving by a Target. It was kismet!

I have to admit I thought so too. I got one for Christmas from my grandparents (I don't recall asking for one) but really didn't play with him much. So luckily there's no real nostalgia for me wanting to own one again. But hey, different strokes...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎