Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DARKLORD's Photo tutorial (by popular request)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

DARKLORD's Photo tutorial (by popular request)

Hi Gang!

A number of you have sent me some very nice and flattering private messages after my return to the world of MEGO customizing asking if I would put together a tutorial of my MEGO action figure photography techniques.

Well, I am more than happy to oblige! I believe that it is ONLY through the sharing of knowledge that we will improve the presentation of ALL of our work! This in turn will make Hasbro, Mattel, Playmates, and other toy companies stop and take notice, and give us what we want… better and better products!!!! Who knows? It might even lead to the possible re-launch of the MEGO Corporation. Wouldn't THAT be something!

I want to warn you at the onset, though, that this post will be very LONG!! Depending on how quickly you can read, this could take you a half hour or MORE to get through. So you may want to get comfortable!

Without further ado. Let’s get started:

As it is, PHOTOGRAPHY can be somewhat intimidating to those who are novices. It can be awfully “technical” and can really put some people off.

But I can assure you: Armed with practice and the right knowledge, you can take pictures that will really make your custom MEGO action figures stand out, and let everyone know who you ARE!

The techniques I’ll cover apply to pretty much ALL cameras (film OR digital), and can be used to photograph virtually ANY action figure.

Before I get too deep into MY OWN personal photography techniques, I think it might be best if I offered some general background information about photography. This will help you to understand many of the photography terms that I’ll use later.

FIRST and FOREMOST:
    Before you can take any pictures of your prized custom MEGO, you will need a decent CAMERA . There are a myriad of cameras available out there, but not all of them are APPROPRIATE for the type of photography that is employed when photographing 8 inch scale action figures!!

What are the different types of CAMERAS?

POLAROIDS:
    The Polaroid or “instamatic” camera has been around for decades. It is an extremely good “planning” camera that lets you quickly take a picture and see what you are going to get before you take a final photo with your “main” camera. Fashion photographers use these all the time in their work. But are they suitable for taking serious photos of your favorite custom action figure? Uhhhh… I think not. You don’t really have the ability to manually focus with those cameras, and the quality of the final photos is not the best.

POCKET CAMERA:
    We’ve all seen them used in EVERY possible place: at family outings, gatherings with friends, college dorms and parties, hang-outs at the beach… Virtually EVERYWHERE and ANYWHERE that someone wants to take a quick picture with their pals without a whole lotta fuss, this is the camera that you’ll see. And of course they come in MANY varieties. From the inexpensive “over-the-counter” throw away cameras, to the higher-end “point and shoot” systems, these pocket cameras are VERY popular! But can you make that custom MEGO Superman that you worked long and hard to create look really good using one of these? The answer generally is “no”. These cameras use a viewing system known as a RANGEFINDER. That means that when you look through the eye piece to snap a photo, what you are actually seeing is something roughly in the RANGE of what the LENS will see, but NOT EXACTLY the same thing. With the lens being about 2 inches below the eyepiece that you’re looking through, there IS a difference between what you see and what the camera sees. This difference is known as PARALLAX CORRECTION. This parallax difference is NOT that critical when you are several feet away from the subject that you are going to photograph. But when you are mere inches away from your subject (as you will be when you take a picture of your custom figure), that difference will be HUGE!!! A custom action figure that you framed to be in the center of your picture will likely end up being far off to the side (possibly even cut-off) in the final photo!

SINGLE LENS REFLEX:
    Ah!! Now we’re talkin’!!! The Single Lens Reflex camera (or “SLR”) corrects the “parallax” problem of the pocket camera’s inaccurate viewing, by giving the photographer the EXACT view that the lens sees!! Thus, when you look through the eyepiece, “What you see is what you’ll get!!” SLR cameras manage this neat little trick by employing a pair of mirrors inside the camera body. The image inside the eyepiece, then, is a reflection of EXACTLY what the lens sees, bounced from the mirror directly to your eye. Presto!! SLR cameras come in many different varieties to shoot the different “formats” of film: 35mm, 120mm, Medium Format, etc. The most common format that is used to photograph our Custom MEGOs is 35MM. These types of cameras have removable lenses that allow one to interchange from one focal length lens (say a 28mm wide angle lens) to another (say a 150mm telephoto) with great ease.

DIGITAL CAMERA:
    The introduction of the digital camera about 25 years ago is quite possibly the greatest boon to the action figure (miniature) photographer! These cameras combine the potential “point and shoot” ease of a Polaroid or instamatic camera, with the high image quality and framing accuracy of an SLR. Typically these cameras are equipped with a ZOOM LENS lens that lets you cover everything from as wide as 28mm to as telephoto as 150MM and beyond!!

Now that you know a little bit about cameras, you have certainly selected an appropriate system (SLR or digital) to photograph your custom MEGO Spiderman, right? Good. Let's move on!

Now you’ll next need to have a good working knowledge of LENSES:

STANDARD FOCAL LENGTH LENS:
    The standard lens that accompanies most 35mm cameras is the 50mm lens. This lens is meant to represent the closest example of the human eye’s field of view (within the confines of the photo frame area) .

WIDE-ANGLE LENS:
    The “Wide-angle lens” is typically used to describe any lens that represents a field of view WIDER than the human eye. The focal length of such a lens is usually 28MM or shorter. When that focal length gets really short , you have what is called a “fish-eye” lens where objects appear roundly distorted. An example of when a Wide Angle lens is used: You and your friends wish to take a group picture in your living room. The photographer (your dad) has backed up AS FAR AS HE CAN GO and is now up against a wall. But he cannot fit your whole group in the frame. But dad is calm, cool, and collected. He knows this is NOT a problem. He reaches down into his photo bag and retrieves his wide-angle lens. Once he clicks it into place, he is NOW able to fit you and the ENTIRE GROUP easily into the frame!

TELE-PHOTO LENS:
    The Tele-photo lens is typically used to describe any lens that represents a field of view that is more TELESCOPIC than the human eye. The focal length of such a lens is usually 80mm, 135mm, 150mm and beyond. An example of when a telephoto lens is used: Your mom is REALLY into bird-watching. She knows that she can’t simply go up to a little birdie and ask it to pose for a picture without it flying away. So what’s her solution? She attaches her VERY long 150mm telephoto lens onto her camera so that she can take a photo of the Yellow-Bellied Sap-Sucker perched on the tree branch WAY ACROSS THE STREET without disturbing him.

VARIABLE FOCAL LENGTH LENS:
    The Variable Focal Length lens (or “Zoom” lens) is typically used to describe any lens that can CHANGE from one focal length to another. An example of when a zoom lens is used: A Sports Illustrated photographer in on the race track at Belmont. He needs to be able to photograph the racing horses when they first leave the starting gate that is, say, 100 yards away AND he also needs to be able to photograph the winning horse as it crosses the finish line directly in front of him. He needs to be able to do this quickly, and cannot waste time changing lenses. With his “zoom” lens, he sets his focal length to Telephoto at the start of the race to catch the far away horses, and then he changes his focal length to Wide-Angle when the horses cross the finish line in front of him so that he can fit them ALL in the shot.

MACRO LENS:
    The Macro lens is used to describe any lens that can represent a MACROSCOPIC (close-up) field of view by physically getting CLOSE to the subject being photographed. Some of the finer Macro lenses allow the Photographer to get as close as 1 inch away from his intended subject with a perfect focus.

THIS, MY FRIENDS, IS THE TYPE OF LENS YOU’LL WANT TO BE FAMILIAR WITH WHEN PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR CUSTOM 8 INCH SCALE ACTION FIGURES!!!!

Now you know all about lenses. Good!! Are you still with me? EXCELLENT!! Let’s move on!!

Now you need to know about FOCUS. One of the things that many custom action figure photos suffer from is POOR FOCUS. It’s understandable. Focusing on items this small is NOT an easy thing to do. And you’ll need to know some basic focusing principles:

When dealing with MACRO photography of your Custom Action Figures, you’re going to run into the dreaded problem of DEPTH OF FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Play SCARY music here)

What’s “Depth of Field” you ask? Well, simply put: In photography, the "Depth-of-Field" is the area immediately in front of and immediately behind your point of focus that ALSO seems to be relatively in focus.

With a MACRO LENS, the Depth of Field is incredibly shallow!! That means that if you’re about to photograph your awesome new Custom MEGO Boba Fett (full body shot that FILLS your frame), and you have very carefully focused on his FACE, there’s a really GOOD chance that anything past, say, the back of his head (about .25 inch from the point of focus) will be completely BLURRED!!!

With a WIDE ANGLE LENS the Depth of Field is considerably deeper. This lens lets you get pretty close up onto your subject (although not as close as a MACRO), and your area in front of and behind your point of focus will be pretty sharp. The only trouble is, when you get close to something using this type of lens, there’s usually a bit of distortion of the subject. But if you're creative in your framing, you can actually make that distortion work FOR you by adding enhancement, excitement, and drama to your composition)

With a TELEPHOTO lens the Depth of Field is, once again, pretty shallow. Yeah, you can photograph something that’s really FAR AWAY, but anything in front of or behind your focal point will be blurred. And you cannot physically get CLOSE to a subject with this type of lens and focus upon it.

But wait!! There’s more!! There’s ANOTHER factor that determines your Depth of Field: It is the APERATURE that your lens is set at!!

What’s an “Aperature”? Well, that is simply a term used to describe the size of the camera shutter’s OPENNING at the moment that the photo is taken. The shutter’s Aperature settings are usually found on your camera’s lens, delineated as “F” numbers: F16, F11, F8, F5.6, F4, F2.8 etc. Generally, aperature works like the human eye’s IRIS. If the subject is BRIGHT or has a LOT OF LIGHT thrown onto it, then you may want to set the aperature smaller to prevent "over-exposure" (that's when a photo turns out all white and washed-out looking). Conversely, if a subject is dimly lit or lacking in light, The aperature should be opened up to catch as much light as possible and prevent "under-exposure" (when a photo turns out waaaaay too dark).

How does the size of this “Aperature” affect Depth of Field? Well, generally the SMALLER your aperature, the greater your Depth of Field. Conversely, the larger your aperature, the shallower your Depth of Field. This is no different than when you look at something with your naked eyes. Instinctively, you may SQUINT at objects that are not focused or clear. When you squint, you are, in essence, making a smaller “aperature” for your eyes to look through, thus improving the focus of your vision.

As you can see, miniature “Macro” photography presents a whole unique set of problems! But UNDERSTANDING the root of each problem makes you a better photographer.

Now having said all this, I can now talk about my own PHOTOGRAPHIC TECHNIQUES:

PLACE / POSE YOUR FIGURE

Some customizers don’t give this NEARLY enough consideration when they photograph their custom MEGO action figures. A decent placement / posing of your figure can EMPHASIZE the strengths of your customizing work and DOWNPLAY your weaknesses. Even a mediocre figure can be made to look like a MILLION BUCKS when it is properly posed / placed prior to photography. Likewise, the finest crafted figure in the world can be made to look AWFUL with poor posing / placment before photography.

Really take the time to consider THE CHARACTER that you are photographing. How would he/she stand if he/she were being photographed in real life? Would he or would he NOT look directly into the camera? Does she look best on her left or on her right side? Should this character hold their blaster, lightsaber, sword, shield, Bat-a-rang, rope (or whatever accessory) or would that actually DISTRACT from the custom work that you’ve done on the figure? These are all critical questions!

Even the posing / placement of garments on your custom MEGO is critical. Don’t just let the fabric just hang limp or “poofy” on your figure. Take the time to "nip and tuck" and gently fold the fabric with your fingers until it hangs on your figure in a pleasing way. Does your character wear a cape? Don’t be afraid to press it down with your fingers, molding the fabric over the contours of your figure's body. Eventually, the cloth WILL take the shape of an actual worn garment, and NOT look like a piece of stiff cheese hanging without character.

FRAMING:

So now you know that you should be working in Macro photography to properly photograph your 8 iinch scale custom MEGOfigures, right? Well, DON”T BE AFRAID TO GET CLOSE!!!!!!!!! Your figure should ADEQUATELY FILL THE FRAME of your finished photograph so that the viewer can appreciate (or de-preciate ) your work. I can’t tell you how many photos I’ve seen of some BEAUTIFUL custom MEGO action figures where the figure took up maybe a CORNER of the frame!!! Let’s SEE that figure!! ‘nuff said!

FOCUS:

Take the time to carefully FOCUS your shot prior to photographing that custom MEGO Batman!

The NUMBER ONE problem afflicting some custom action figure photos is BAD FOCUS!!!! When shooting in Macro mode, you will need to hold that camera PERFECTLY STILL, because if you move in or out just a fraction of an inch during exposure, the focus WILL BE THROWN OFF! Make sure that you are properly braced during photography to minimize your movements. OR, if you had too many cups of coffee this morning and can’t quite keep it steady, then use a tripod and a cable release to take your pics.

BACKGROUNDS:

Generally, I find that it’s best to keep my backgrounds plain and neutral. I make it a point to NEVER photograph my figures on a shelf full of other figures, or in front of a comic book, or in front of the leaves of a tree, or standing on a work bench full of distracting junk. These other items in the background of your photo will only make things look “cluttered”, and will take the focus away from your main subject, which should be your AWESOME custom MEGO creation! One of the things that I like to do is pose my figures on a pale table top in front of a black background. By playing with the lighting on the backdrop, you can create many nice shades of grey that will make a particular character stand out! Remember the brightness value for this background should be DIFFERENT FOR EACH CHARACTER!!! I would NOT photograph a custom MEGO Darth Vader against a black background, for example. Likewise, it probably would not be wise to photograph a goreous custom MEGO Space Ghost figure against a solid white background!

With the depth of field being as shallow as it is during Macro photography, you may actually want to TAKE ADVANTAGE of this in regards to backgrounds!! I like to make sure that my custom figures are far enough away from the wall behind them so that it becomes a COMPLETE BLUR in the finished photo. This blurred “non-descript” background helps to make a sharply focused custom action figure “leap out” at the viewer!

LIGHTING:

I always make sure that there is sufficient light on the Custom Action Figure that I am photographing. This lighting needs to flatter the action figure, and highlight its face and all of its sculpting and / or cloth work. If the figure is too frontally lit, it will look “flat” and boring. Also, a frontally lit Action Figure produces shadows upon your background that are unattractive and amateurish… especially if the figure is close to that background (which it should NOT be!).

I also always make sure that I have MORE THAN ONE SOURCE OF LIGHT THAT I CAN CONTROL. I always use one light source on the background so that I can make it brighter or dimmer at will. Another light source is used on my Custom Action Figure subject to properly highlight it. And then on occasion, I will use a THIRD light source like COLORED ACCENT LIGHT for special effect.

Some folks are tempted to use electronic flash to photograph their customs. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. First of all, the light given off will be too frontal, resulting in a “flat” and “boring” look.

Secondly, since you will be working in Macro mode, the harsh light will be too close to your figure, washing it out in the final photo. That beautiful custom MEGO that you worked so hard to create will look more ghostly than the spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi hangin’ out on Dagobah!

Okay my friends, it probably took you quite along time to read this VERY LONG post. And I do apologize to those of you that may feel a bit shell-shocked after staring at your computer screens this long

But now… get out there and start taking pictures of those AWESOME custom MEGOs!! Let's really show toy manufacturers how it should be DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEGO cheer!! One, two, three, four, GO MEGO!!!!

Best Regards,

Roberto DARKLORD Williams
    Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 17, '08, 10:30 AM.
    I... am an action figure customizer
  • The Kryptonite Kid
    Museum Gunslinger
    • Oct 15, 2007

Thanks so much Man, I need all the help I can get -Will
    NO SIR, I DIDN'T SEE YOU PLAYING WITH YOUR DOLLS AGAIN.

My Blog MCKENZIE MCKUSTOMS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckustoms/

Flickr: CUSTOM MEGO SHOWCASE

MY GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• jessica
      fortune favors the bold
      • Nov 5, 2007

Thank you for putting this together.
      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• marbkwds
        Da Bronx Mego Collector
        • May 10, 2005

Wow ....... I am inspired to dust off my Nikon F-4 and start shooting all my figures .......... I think you covered everything , But what do you use exactly for lighting . Do you shoot them in a light box of sorts ?

I enjoyed reading this post ....... Roy

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Great post. Thank you. I hope this thread will be made sticky!

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Very Informative Post.... I must say,.. I need a new Camera .
            Great Stuff , Thanks for Sharing, I'm sure it will help everyone a great deal,.. & thats a Killer Robin Dude.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• darklord1967
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by marbkwds
              Wow ....... I am inspired to dust off my Nikon F-4 and start shooting all my figures .......... I think you covered everything , But what do you use exactly for lighting . Do you shoot them in a light box of sorts ?

I enjoyed reading this post ....... Roy

Thanks to Roy and everyone for their nice comments. Its greatly appreciated!

But, uh, Roy... Lighting? You ask me about LIGHTING?? Man oh man... in the words of Al Pacino in The Godfather Part III, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Alright, let's get into it, then:

Virtually ALL of the photographic principles outlined above are meaningless if they are not applied hand in hand with a strong working knowledge of all aspects of light (natural light and artificial studio lighting)

Most novice action figure customizers use whatever light is available to them to photograph their MEGO creations. When their photos come back from the lab, they are usually horrified at the warm yellowish / orange tint or the green tint or
              ghastly blue tint that dominate their shots.

They have no idea what they did wrong, but the bright white uniform of their beautiful custom MEGO Space Ghost figure has photographed as decidedly orange! Custom MEGO POTA Taylor's white space suit is distinctly blue in its shade!

How frustrating!

There is a VERY specific reason for this... one that is a bit... involved.

Better get comfortable... again.

An EXTREMELY important aspect of photographic lighting that you should ALL be aware of during COLOR photography is COLOR TEMPERATURE of LIGHT:

Simply put, this is defined as the relative, apparent COLOR of a given source of light when viewed by a particular photographic device.

I hear you all saying "Huh?????" Let me try to explain:

Lighting sources come in virtually every color of the visible-light spectrum, and each of them are seen a CERTAIN WAY by the camera and/ or film that you are using ("photographic device").

Understanding the color temperatures of different light sources will help you to make better creative decisions when lighting your custom MEGO Action Figures for photography:

Color Temperature of light is measured on a KELVIN SCALE that classifies the COLOR of bluest light (on the high end of the scale) to the reddest light (on the lower end of the scale).

The human eye tends to overly compensate with any light source that it looks at and identifies it as “white”. I can assure you, however, the human eye is WRONG!!!

For the purposes of simplification, we’ll just deal with certain basic types of common light that most people take photographs with:

Starting at the the VERY TOP of the Kelvin scale, we have the "coolest" (bluest-white) light source known to man, the DAYLIGHT SUN (at high noon). This light source is rated at "5800° Kelvin."

As we move a little lower (warmer) on that light color temperature scale, we encounter the blue light of a camera's ELECTRONIC FLASH rated at 5500° Kelvin.

Moving lower still on the light Color Temperature scale, you might find a BLUE "TUNGSTEN" PHOTOGRAPHY BULB, rated at 4800° Kelvin.

Then farther down the Kelvin light color temperature scale, things actually begin to get a bit GREEN. An overhead FLOURECENT type light source may LOOK white to you, but it is actually a greenish light rated at about 4000°Kelvin.

Down and down we go along the Kelvin color temperature scale until we come upon a (warm) TYPE-A WHITE "TUNGSTEN" PHOTOGRAPHY BULB rated at 3400°. At this point, the light source is beginning to take on a decidedly (warm) yellowish cast.

Just below that on the Kelvin color temperature scale, there is the (more common) TYPE-B WHITE TUNGSTEN PHOTOBULB used by many studio photographers (rated at 3200° Kelvin).

Moving even lower on the light color temperature scale, you'll find your average household INCANDESCENT LIGHTBULB whose color temperature is a "reddish" 2800°Kelvin.

Near the bottom of the light color temperature scale you'll find the red light thrown by the LIT FLAME OF A CANDLE, and far below that is the lighting that we refer to as INFRA-RED.

Now, as I said, ALL of these different light sources have a measurable COLOR temperature even though to your naked eye, most of them may look "white".

The photography / digital image industry has long understood the overall effects that these different colors of light can have on your photographed images. For that reason, they have taken steps to ensure that the knowledgeable photographer can make ANY light source that he is working with appear as PURE WHITE in his photographs provided he is using the correct film IN his camera, or has performed a "White Balance" ON his (electronic / digital) camera.

Once you have determined which light source you will be using to take your pictures, you will need to purchase the correct CORRESPONDING FILM-TYPE if you want that light source to photograph as WHITE.

So if you are taking photos outdoors in the daylight, you will need to purchase film that is "rated" for the high (blue-ish / white) color temperature of daylight. This film can be used indoors too, but only if your main lightsource is the sun coming in brightly through a window, OR if you are using ELECTRONIC FLASH (which has a color temperature very similar to daylight).

If you use that SAME film with a lightsource that it is NOT rated for, then your pictures will develop an OVERALL COLORED CAST.

For example: Daylight film used with TUNGSTEN Photo Bulbs or INCANDECENT lighting will produce yellowish or reddish pictures. Why? Because Daylight film is "rated" for a light source that is much "bluer" and it therefore "sees" your incandecent light for the reddish source that it is.

The OPPOSITE also holds true. If you use a Tungsten-rated film stock (Type-A film or Type-B film) outdoors in the daylight, your pictures will develop a bluish cast on them. Why? This film stock only sees a warmer, reddish light as "White" and it therefore sees the Daylight sun as the BLUE light source that it actually is.

In the DIGITAL electronic world, there are NO film stock "types" to contend with. But the issue of Color Temperature of light is still very real. For this reason, it is important to do a proper "White Balance" of your camera prior to the start of your photography. This ensures that your main light source will be seen as WHITE in your photos.

Ensuring that you main light source is seen as WHITE by your media is important because it is only WHITE light that will represent the colors of your Custom MEGO Action Figure subject accurately.

Once you understand all these principles intimately, you'll be amazed at how your custom MEGO action figure photography will explode in its creativity.

You'll even be able to start using varying color temperatures of light for some interesting effects in your photos. For example Imagine a really gorgeous custom MEGO Spiderman figure (like, say John's ) photographed in a really nice night time scene. You might use a correctly coordinated main light to illuminate the wall crawler frontally in the correct color temperature. But you might also want to use a decidedly bluer light source (relative to your film stock or digital camera white balance setting) positioned behind Spidey as a "rim right" to make him "pop" from the night sky black background.

The final photo would be an incredibly dramatic night time shot of Spiderman (correctly colored), but with a blue edge light, highlighting his shape and contour against the night. Wicked!

Ooooh... I get chills just thinkin' about it!

Sophisticated lighting techniques are often a matter of experimentation... especially in this 8 inch MEGO scale. But those techniques are generally based off a standard studio "3-point" lighting set-up that ensures really beautiful portraiture:

1) One light is used on your background angled at a 45 degree angle. If the background is particularly LARGE, then two lights might be used on either side to light it evenly.

On some set ups, you may opt to have no light at all on your background so that it reads as "inky" pure black. That leaves one light source available to use elsewhere on your subject for special effect.

Don't forget to position your main subject as far away as possible from your background so that the lighting upon one does not affect the other.

2) A second light is positioned off to one side, or above, angled from behind your subject, directing light to it's rear. When your subect is viewed from the front, this is the light that will give the outer contour of your figure its definition and separate it from the background. This is known as your backlight or "rim".

3) A third light will be positioned in front of your subject (off to one side). Preferably, you'll want to avoid having this main light positioned too frontally upon your subject. That would be overly harsh, flat, and detrimental to the details of your beautiful custom MEGO figure.

If you take a quick look in my post above (at the lighting in the photo of the custom MEGO Batman and Robin figures that I made), you'll see all of these lighting techniques in use.

Professional-looking photos of your Custom MEGO action figures will present them (and YOU as an artist) in the very best possible light (pardon the pun). The status of admiration and respect that you will achieve in the MEGO community will be incalculable.

But you've got to arm yourself with the proper knowledge. You've got to be un-compromising about the high level of quality of your work. And you've got make sure you are armed with the proper tools.

Don't photograph your beautiful custom MEGO's with a mere desk lamp or a silly little flashlight.

Do the right thing.

Run to your local photography store and get 4 or 5 cheap clamp, socket, and 12 inch reflector sets. Avoid plastic sockets. They are dangerous to use with the very hot photo bulbs.

Pick up some 250 watt photo bulbs and some appropriate film stock (if that's the type of camera you have).

Now practice, practice, practice those lighting techniques. It's easy, it's dramatic, and most of all... it's so much fun!

Roberto DARKLORD Williams
              Last edited by darklord1967; Apr 17, '08, 9:46 PM.

Comment

• marbkwds
                Da Bronx Mego Collector
                • May 10, 2005

Gotcha ......... I will give it a whirl ......... I was thinking of using strobes but I guess I can do the clamp sockets w/ bulbs .......... I'll be shooting you a PM soon ....... I wanna talk to you some more ........ ....... Thanks again Roberto ........... Roy

Comment

• drwhofan74
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 19, 2005

Thanks for the great info. My wife is a photographer, so I have access to the equipment. I just need to learn how to use it. I'll have to put this into practice. Cheers.
                  sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                    Formerly known as Del
                    • Dec 12, 2004

This is a nice tutorial, Darklord. It's really cool of you to take the time to write this up for everyone to use. Hey mods, any chance of making this a sticky thread or even adding it to Customego?

PS. What did you use for that Robin head?
                    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

Thank's for the nice words of support everyone!

I was my pleasure writting this, 'cause I love you guys!

Del, my custom Robin sports a modified Our Gang Mickey head sculpt. "Modified" meaning resculpted with a classic "wise-guy" Dick Grayson smirk and hairstyle, and then re-molded and cast 5% smaller than the original.

I did not control the shrinkage of the final head casting, but I'm sure glad it did turn our smaller during the re-casting process. The original head size (in proportion to his body) would have made Robin look about 8 years old.
                      I wanted Robin to look more like 12-13 (which is the way he turned out).

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

These are so very helpful. I love the examples--they help me to remember.
                        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

DEPTH -OF-FIELD REVISITED

Gang, there is something that I think was NOT adequetly covered in my original posting regarding this oh-so-crucial aspect of minuature photography known as "Depth of Field":

As a brief reminder, the Depth of Field in a photo is defined as the zone immediately in front of and immediately behind you point of focus which also appears relatively in focus.

I explained how the inherent problem with miniature photography was that the Depth of Field tended to be very shallow due to the macro lenses you'd likely be using to get close to you MEGO figure subjects.

This means that the greatest likelihood is that if you are photographing your custom MEGO up close to fill your frame, everything in front of and behind it will probably be blurred.

"What's the big deal with that, Roberto?" I hear some of you asking.

Well the short answer is sometimes you need other objects in the frame (in front of or behind your action figure subject) to remain in focus for the sake of impact or drama.

Once again, I'll use one of my custom MEGO photos to illustrate this point. Please forgive my being so self-serving. But this point bears clarification.

Here is a photo of my custom MEGO Penguin action figure holding his deadly trick umbrella in from of him.

Under normal miniature photography circumstances, the depth of field in this shot would have been so shallow, that the umbrella would have been completely blurred while the Penguin's face was in focus.

But understanding the rules of miniature photography and the limitation of Depth of Field allowed me to take this photo with a reasonably deep depth of field.

How did I manage this trick? Well let's review rules of Depth of field:

1) The smaller the aperature of your camera's shutter during exposure, the deeper the Depth of Field.

2) Macro lenses (essential for miniature photography) present a generally shallow depth of field when focused up close upon a subject.

3) Wide angle lenses allow for close-up photography with a much better depth of field. However, objects close to the camera will appear somewhat distorted (like the image in your car's side-view mirror)

These are the 3 rules, and they are unshakeable. But the solution to the conundrum of improved depth of field in our MEGO photos lies in those same 3 rules.

A) I did NOT want to photograph my custom MEGOs with a wide-angle lens because the image distortion was NOT something I wanted to contend with (rule #3).

B) In order to adequately photograph my MEGO's without distortion, I was going to have to use a macro lens (with its shallow depth of field) (rule #2).

C) So my only hope for an optimal depth of field in my photo lay in making the camera's shutter aperature opening as tiny as possible (rule #1).

But there's a problem. A tiny shutter aperature opening during exposure is only appropriate during situations when the subject is bathed in very, very bright light (like say, a daylight subject).

I wanted my custom Bat- MEGOs to be photographed in a dark, shadowy setting.

There just won't be enough light on the subject to warrant closing the lens aperature to its smallest openning!

Think of it like the iris of your eye: It opens up wide to let in as much light as possible in darkness, and it closes into the tiniest dot openning in bright lighting situations.

Logic dictates that if I tried to improve the depth of field in my photo by closing down the aperature to its smallest openning, that very little light would enter the camera and the result would be an overly dark picture (under-exposed).

What to do? What to do?

Well, I could have bathed the custom MEGO action figure with a crap-load of light and photograph it that way. I would have ended up with a properly exposed photo and a deep depth of field in the pic.

The only trouble is, I likely would NOT have a ended up with a "moody" shadowy photo (like I wanted).

The solution, then, lay in exposure TIME!

Putting it simply, (too late for that), how bright or dark a photo turns out is determined by not one, but TWO camera factors:

1) The SIZE of the lens aperature openning during exposure

and

2) The DURATION of lens aperature opening during exposure (shutter speed). The longer the shutter remains open, the more light can enter the camera, and the brighter your photo becomes!

AHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

The secret, then, to photographing a custom MEGO with a nice depth of field in the photo AND a shadowy moody lighting scheme (not overly bright) is to:

1) Use a macro lens (even with its inherently shallow Depth of field)

2) Light the subject in a way that looks shadowy and moody.

3) Set the lens aperature opening on the camera to the smallest setting (for maximum depth of field) even though the subject is NOT bright.

and

4) COMPENSATE for the camera's tiny aperature openning during exposure by LEAVING THE APERATURE OPEN FOR A LONG TIME!!!! Give light a long TIME to get into the camera for a proper exposure!

That's it. That's how it's done my firends.

Now unfortunately, only FILM cameras with manual controls allow that type of exposure control.

Even though digital cameras can take some AWESOME photos of your custom MEGOS, they tend to be fully-automated and DO NOT allow exposure control to this degree.

For the Custom MEGO Penguin photo above, I used a Nikon F1 with Kodak color daylight film (ASA 100) the figure was lit with 250 watt blue photo bulbs (to match the film type). The lens aperture was set at the tiniest openning possible (f 22) to ensure the best depth-of field.

And due to the minimal amount of light used on the subject, AND the tiny lens aperature opening, I compensated with an exposure TIME of about 12 seconds for this photo!

The longest automated exposure time possible with that camera is about 2 seconds, I believe. But with the shutter speed dial placed on the "B" setting (meaning "bulb"), the shutter remains open for as long as YOU hold the shutter release button.

NOTE: this type of long-exposure photography absolutely requires a good, sturdy tripod, and a cable release to avoid all possible movement and or vibration (which would blurr your shot).

Well... there you have it, gang. The secret to optimal Depth of field in miniature photography.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎