Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Bridge Direct Kenner style Classic Strawberry Shortcake line.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

New Bridge Direct Kenner style Classic Strawberry Shortcake line.

These are just starting to hit Target and Toys R Us.

First up Lemon Meringue and Huckleberry Pie.

This Lemon is from the Toys R Us exclusive three pack and did not come with her pet frog Frappe. Frappe is from the Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Meringue two pack. I included Frappe in the picture to better compare with the vintage dolls. The pets are not named on the Bridge Direct boxes.

Kenner dolls on the left and Bridge Direct on the right.

As you can see they are not quite the same. The new Lemon has face paint in style of the earlier Kenner dolls and not the larger more expressive eyes of the later dolls, like the original Lemon had. Both new dolls are not wearing the correct shoes. They are wearing shoes using Strawberry Shortcake's shoe mold. The new dolls clothes have Velcro instead of snaps. The Bridge Direct dolls are close and very high quality but not exact reproductions. All the new dolls have really nice thickly rooted hair. They hair could be a little sparse on original Kenner dolls. Especially in the earlier series.

Both new dolls have the flat hands of the first series Kenner dolls. To the best of my knowledge, Lemon was never issued with flat hands in the Kenner line.

I do really like Huck's new cloth hat. That's actually a nice change over the original rubber one.

Unlike the dolls, the pets are VERY close. I don't know if they had access to the original molds. I would guess not. I can't imagine the original molds still exist. But they are again super close. They don't look cast from vintage pets because they don't have any obvious tells like a loss of detail or slightly smaller in size. Pupcake's smile is painted slightly different. You have to really look for it to tell difference. The copyright markings on the bottoms have changed.

Lastly, the prices are very, very reasonable on these. $10 for single box dolls, $20 for the two packs and $30 for the TRU three pack. In comparison, my Kenner Lime Chiffon from 1982 has a Kmart price sticker of $7.96 on her box.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I like these. Glad to see them at mass retailers, too.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      I like these. Glad to see them at mass retailers, too.
      Barnes and Nobles is going to carry them too. They have exclusive Then and Now two packs with a vintage style doll and a modern version.

Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 8, '16, 12:43 PM. Reason: added link
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Saw these at Targ yesterday--very cute. I was surprised at the two-packs.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I was surprised at the two-packs.
          They did some really cool stuff with the two packs. The Blueberry Muffin in the two pack is actually based on the obscure 1992 THQ version of her Berry Neat Eats doll. I'm also, of course, super excited they included the pets in the two packs. This is the first time they've been reissued.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎