Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob hauk
    • Feb 14, 2013

Coloring FTC chain mail jumpsuit

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to re-color FTC chain mail jumpsuits. I know they are inexpensive enough to experiment on without being upset but I was wondering if it possible to use fabric paint or RIT dye on one and still maintain the sparkly mail-like appearance, only with a different color. Any help is appreciated.

---Paul
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I haven't tried. If I was to give it a go I'd try the RIT for synthetics first, and then translucent paint. I have painted one gold for an Iron Man custom and it worked OK, but no sparkle.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

I tried it several years ago with RIT. I left it soaking all day and you couldn't tell one bit. If anyone knows another way I'm all ears. I have a custom I want to do that with.

I never thought if painting it, Steve. Worked ok, huh?
      Last edited by ScottA; Jul 27, '16, 9:20 PM.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Hmmm. The mail suits are a combination of polyester and metallic threads--New synthetic or old-formula dye should tint the polyester elements. I have many, many vintage suits. I'll try tinting one this week-end.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• mikeoz
          Mego Maker
          • Mar 9, 2007

I've colored the suit with a yellow permanent marker to get a metallic gold look. It seemed to work well.
          Looking for:
          Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• bob hauk
            • Feb 14, 2013

I have considered hitting it with spray paint (it does work on fabric). I was just wondering if it would retain the texture of the faux chain mail. I was thinking of doing a Big Barda but this could also lead into some other ideas as well, if it works. Thanks for the inputs so far. I would have thought this would have been a topic previously explored in depth. Then again, it is a little outside of the box.

---Paul

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Wouldn't dye then a plastics spray paint work on the chainmail?

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

I'm surprised no one sells dark chain mail suits already. They'd be great for Trek customs
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

idye poly might work. It's for synthetics. Better than Rit Dyemore from what I hear.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎