Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Megos/Customs I assembled for my daughter...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cosmicman
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 12, 2005

Megos/Customs I assembled for my daughter...

I finally uploaded the whole entire collection. I am not trying to brag or say that I am all that and a bag of chips. I don't believe I am. I started this mego custom machine for my daughter and I don't plan to stop soon.

Here is the main link to her whole collection...

Mego Talk

I started out this mego madness in 1984 when I inherited my uncle's entire super hero mego collection by the time I was in junior high I somehow managed to destroy the entire collection being careless.
    Through the years, I subconsciously felt guilty and when Famous Covers came out I thought it was the answer to "the Return of Megos."
    Unfortunately they were disappointing to me and "too big". I did collect them all but was never really happy.

Then in the late 90s/early 2000s I found the Internet and later discovered there were people still selling megos through eBay and reproduction sites. Around 2003 I went hog wild and started to "re-buy" all the mego figures in some guilt ridden madness paying back myself for destroying all those megos at a young age.

When my youngest daughter started admiring my collection. She became one of those children that wasn't like many normal children. Instead of normal bedtime stories, I found myself reading Justice League Of America or All Star Squadron. She immediately took a likeness to these characters and opened a whole new door for me as a collector and a father.

Then her and I found Dr. Mego's site where he used to display his customs. A light bulb went off in her head. She wanted customs and I guess so didn't I.

I spent awhile buying parts and making customs and "fixing" up the flaws that were really noticeable with the megos. Such as "modernizing" the Wonder Woman..etc

Then we met a guy named Brian Leitner on the Internet and were amazed at his mego costume design skills. We bought a bunch of his suits before we both eventually figured out our own nitch on how to make our own through many different key ideas we took from people through the years!

Later on I found a whole community of people through the trails and error of one weird mego board that lead me into this great community of people I love and have come to admire over the past three years I have been on here. I am hoping to be apart of the Megomeet this year if I play my cards right. It is about time I meet a lot of these friends I have made on the mego museum

For those who don't feel like sifting through seventy-seven some figures. Here is just a few of them I managed to post.
    I started out collecting megos and customizing them later on when I found out my daughter had an interest in them.

Now seventy-some figures later...there is no stopping us. The list for 2008 is pretty long. Believe me, this child knows characters you'd have no idea who they were.

My major thanks come from mego inspirational guys like Paul Clark (who supplied me with endless parts) , Brian Leitner (for the creative genius behind a few costumes) and many, many people on here who have influenced me and gave me ideas to make these customs bigger and better.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Cosmicman; Apr 15, '08, 8:10 PM.
    More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Your daughter must be the youngest Mego fan with that many customs, great collection Cat. Must be lotsa fun sharing this hobby with her
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by Meule
      Your daughter must be the youngest Mego fan with that many customs, great collection Cat. Must be lotsa fun sharing this hobby with her
      No, I don't think she is the youngest anymore. I got a couple of PMs from members stating I have given them idea to pass the mego buzz onto their youngest. I can't think of his name but he has been making customs for his daughter.
      It is all about the kids (an us to) LOL

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

My favorites are Two Face, Dr Doom is awesome and Burke makes a great Green Lantern.

Awesome, might use some of your customs for my own collection....especially Doom.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Cosmicman
          Permanent Member
          • Jul 12, 2005

Originally posted by Brown Bear
          My favorites are Two Face, Dr Doom is awesome and Burke makes a great Green Lantern.

Awesome, might use some of your customs for my own collection....especially Doom.
          Paul Clark made the Two-Face, I painted the head to give it a comic look. Paul also made the Dr. Doom, I touched up the suit and added the gold button cape sash.

Paul Clark also came up with the Green Lantern suit. I touched it up and redesigned the appearance and added the Burke head after seeing Alex Ross's version of GL in a JLA book and noticed it resembled the Burke head.
          Last edited by Cosmicman; Apr 18, '08, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• censy
            thread killer
            • Sep 26, 2007

Great post. Thank you for sharing your (and your daughter's) story.

Chris

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎