X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Incomplete lines?

This is one of the most annoying things in action figures if you ask me. Mostly it shows lack of enthusiasm for a property to not create a certain amount of the core characters. For example, Gilligan and the Skipper. I mean really. No Ginger? If someone feels this stuff wouldn't sell why bother making the first two? The other most annoying example was the Diamond folks only making Picard and a Borg. A Borg? Seems to me folks are getting permission to make stuff without much thought behind what makes those properties great in the first place. I have gotten used to "waves" so i guess at least 4 at a time sort of works. I mean with have the girlfriend of the son of Tarzan made but not Thurston Howell III. They did the Dukes right so it confuses me. I say this as I pack up my Gilligan and Skipper, both sizes mind you, away forever....
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I'm sure it all comes down to sales. That's the genius of the Marvel Legends build-a-figure. They can make less popular characters sell by including a piece of a figure everyone wants.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I don't think it's strictly sales, though good sales might make licensing easier. The license is important, look how it affected BBP's beautiful 8" Twilight Zone line.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
        70's Era Pimp
        • Sep 7, 2011

Gilligan's Island. You have to pay for each actor's license. You start with Gilligan and Skipper. If you can't sell those....well.....Mrs. Howell aint happening. Just how business works. Dollars need to make sense!

Comment

• jeffbearco
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2011

I really wanted the Dr Who line to continue. I would have also kept buying Universal Monsters, but that line died as well.

That's why I'm not jumping on buying the Teen Titans line until I know if they are going to do 8" versions of the original 4 that Mego made.

I've also been treating the Super Friends line as a "pick and choose" line until we see how Batman turns out. If Batman turns out to have an enormous head, it saves me the money of going back to buy Robin. I also skipped Superman because he was only about 50% of the figure I had hoped for. But if Batman turns our really great, I'll go back and get Robin and Superman.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
            70's Era Pimp
            • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by jeffbearco
            I really wanted the Dr Who line to continue. I would have also kept buying Universal Monsters, but that line died as well.

That's why I'm not jumping on buying the Teen Titans line until I know if they are going to do 8" versions of the original 4 that Mego made.

I've also been treating the Super Friends line as a "pick and choose" line until we see how Batman turns out. If Batman turns out to have an enormous head, it saves me the money of going back to buy Robin. I also skipped Superman because he was only about 50% of the figure I had hoped for. But if Batman turns our really great, I'll go back and get Robin and Superman.

JeffBearCO
            They already released the original 4. The next run is New Teen Titans - Nightwing Cyborg Raven and Starfire.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
              They already released the original 4. The next run is New Teen Titans - Nightwing Cyborg Raven and Starfire.
              He wants eight inch versions of the four Mego released.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
                Gilligan's Island. You have to pay for each actor's license. You start with Gilligan and Skipper. If you can't sell those....well.....Mrs. Howell aint happening. Just how business works. Dollars need to make sense!
                I'm sure they'd have no problem getting the green light from Dawn Wells,with the way she's pimping herself on MeTV.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I'm starting to be a little concerned about the 66 line. Catwoman is necessary to give it completion. False Face, Clock King, Aunt Harriet and the Commish would be nice, too.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i think they were not able to get the license for the commissioner for the Batman 66 line. you might have to just make a custom of him to complete it. the old man head from CTVT's Space 1999 would probably work

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                      70's Era Pimp
                      • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                      He wants eight inch versions of the four Mego released.
                      Ahhhhhhh.

Comment

• LordMudd
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 22, 2011

Flash Gordon has been done twice in 4 inch and still no Dale figure. She is at least as important to the story as Flash or Zarkov. Funko did a Princess Aura figure from the movie and still no Dale. Just doesn't make sense.

CCC.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                          i think they were not able to get the license for the commissioner for the Batman 66 line. you might have to just make a custom of him to complete it. the old man head from CTVT's Space 1999 would probably work
                          I have a head from ebay that looks perfect and way better than the old man head, I would prefer a release instead of a custom.
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

So help me out a bit...Is an incomplete line one where figures are announced and not released, such as Star Trek with Marta, or is it a line where they didn't release all the characters, such as Gilligans Island? If there was never any intention to release any figures beyond what was released, such as NECA's Snake Plissken, would that also be considered incomplete? I mean, I would buy Cabbie and The Duke Of New York, I don't know if anyone else would...

If FTC only intended to make Skipper and Gilligan, then I don't see how that could be considered incomplete.

To me, it's if figures are announced and not released for whatever reason.

Whether certain or specific characters get made or not seems kind of subjective.

Not trying to be confrontational or anything, just trying to understand.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 27, 2011

I would also have liked it if the Harry Potter line had gone on further. We got one great one, Harry; one OK one, Ron; and one with a massive head, Draco. I would have liked to get Dumbledore, Snape, and Megonagal as well as Hermione.

JeffBearCO

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎