X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrekStar
    Trek or Treat
    • Jan 20, 2011

Mego sized heads Flash Gordon question?

Just wanted to ask if the 9-10 inch Mego Flash Gordon series heads would fit properly
    in scale size onto the Mego 8 inch bodies? I'm thinking they might look to big in size?

Wanting to do a custom and the best Mego head to use is the Mego Flash Gordon size Dr. Zarkof
    head, but I will be using the Mego 8 inch body for it, so the head might look to big and silly?

Could these Mego Flash Gordon heads be shrunk to look more scale appropriate to the Mego
    8 inch bodies, and if so, can any members here shrink size heads? or do you think the Mego size
    Flash Gordon heads would be fine to use on the 8 inch bodies?

always appreciate any help and ideas, thank you.
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

My guess would be no. Dr. Mego offers a reduced Flash Gordon head, I wish he also had a reduced Ming and Zarkof available. Dale is an easy switch. Alway wished that the Flash Gordon series had been in the 8" format.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

They are way too big, unless you like bobble-heads. I could shrink some with acetone, if somebody supplied the heads.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

I found some heads to shrink...

Comment

• dr_cyclops
          One eyed, wonder
          • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          I found some heads to shrink...
          Excellent.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I second the Excellent, and sent you a PM Lonnie.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I have Ming in the acetone right now. We'll see how much it shrinks very soon.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                My guess would be no. Dr. Mego offers a reduced Flash Gordon head, I wish he also had a reduced Ming and Zarkof available. Dale is an easy switch. Alway wished that the Flash Gordon series had been in the 8" format.
                All I had at the time was the Flash Gordon head that I shrunk and then gave to Doc to cast. Goes back many years ago when everyone was playing with acetone and seeing what they could do. I got really lucky because at the time if you left it in too long the heads would literally disintegrate. My original reason for doing it was because the Flash Gordon head was, in my eyes, a perfect head for a Dynamo custom that I eventually got to some 10 years after Doc cast it

This is the thread with the results of the shrink and really nice painting job by Dave McC. Working on a 2.0 version with a better suit:

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...ghlight=Dynamo
                Last edited by Blue Meanie; Jun 28, '16, 2:13 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

I am pretty sure the Ming has been successfully shrunk because there are Mandarin customs floating around that use the Ming sculpt as a base.

All the parts in the world Berto, and you still don't do customs!

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                    Banned
                    • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                    All the parts in the world Berto, and you still don't do customs!
                    Soon Steve...very soon

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

He's out in the sun right now, drying out. The acetone makes it swell, then it shrinks down smaller and is harder. I'd like to be able to make molds of the heads before they shrink down.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I think Paul Evans/Dave Mc offered all three heads years ago. Steve is correct, Ming makes a great basis for the Mandarin.

This probably isn't feasible, but I'd love a Ming with the skullcap added.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

The Flash Gordon figures have been shrunken and cast. Here's some...

Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jun 28, '16, 4:03 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Those are awesome.

I've been too wary to mess with acetone. Is the paint intact as the head dries? How do you control the shrinking ratio?
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

You just soak it and hope for the right size. Soaking less time makes less shrinkage. If you are very careful, you can salvage the paint.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎