Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dammit, Dammit DAMMIT!!!!! I'm not going to make it!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darklord1967
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2008

Dammit, Dammit DAMMIT!!!!! I'm not going to make it!!!!!!!

It is with the most profound sense of sadness and disappointment that I must inform you, my friends, that I am not going to be able to make it to MEGO MEET this year.

Ever since the awesome time I had last year, all I've done is OBSESS over attending the meet this year with a nice display of my 9ART line of custom 1:9 scale Bat-toys.

I built a very large display as the center piece of my tables.

With TREMENDOUS excitement, I packed everything up and headed to the airport early this morning to catch my flight to Chicago.

When the airport personnel took one look at the big box containing my intended main display for the meet, they informed me that the box was oversized and could NOT be checked in with the regular luggage. They informed me that I would have to send the big box via the airline's cargo freight division.

After directing me to the cargo terminal (an entirely different building in a remote part of the airport which I never found), I missed my flight, and ended up stranded at the airport with all those boxes for HOURS. The next available flight to O'hare would not be until 6:00 Am tomorrow. Afterward, I was informed by a different airport employee that the cargo terminal would not have taken my big box either, because that is no longer the procedure that airlines follow. Due to security concerns, the procedure now requires large packages like mine to be scheduled for air freight delivery by an outside travel agent.

While stranded at the airport for all those hours, I spent that time attempting to get a courier to pick up my boxes at the airport and ship them overnight to the hotel in Skokie. I checked with Federal Express and UPS. In both instances, while ground transportation would have been doable for me to get my packages to Skokie ($200-$300), they would not have arrived until 3 days later (on Sunday after the Meet was already over). Both couriers quoted Overnight service for my boxes at roughy $3,000... which I cannot afford!

Thus ended my chances of getting to the meet, and letting you all see up close, what I have been toiling at for the past year.

Exhausted, furious, and terribly, terribly, dejected, I have returned home with nothing to show for a long, frustrating day of desperately trying to get to MEGO MEET.

Knowing that couriers like FED EX will ship my boxes affordably under their 3-day ground service, I will solicit them NEXT YEAR during my attendance of MEGO MEET '17.

Guys... I cannot begin to tell you how beside I am with disappointment that i cannot hang out with all of you this weekend.

Have a GREAT time guys. I'll see you all next year...
    I... am an action figure customizer
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

Man, that is a major disappointment for sure. How about some large photos in a portfolio and catch the next flight?

Comment

• darklord1967
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2008

Photos would NEVER do justice to the Batmobile and the other goodies I was ready to show this year. It's the ultimate bummer, but it will ultimately be worth it to wait one year, and show the stuff then.

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

dang bro, sorry you went through all that!

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Wow - that is the pits. I am sad you can't make it.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

This Batmobile is going to be fantastic in 15 years when we finally see it! One of these days.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Sounds like it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

Now I don't feel so bad that I'm missing it this year. I'm hoping to make it next year. Your day sounds like it really sucked!!

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Sorry, it didn't work out. This year will be my last driving anyway, between having a tire blow out and constant lane closures between Ohio and Chicago today's 6 and a half hour leg took 12 hours. So you didn't miss out not getting a ride in that respect and in my case your stuff may have been damaged.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                  Permanent Member
                  • Mar 7, 2011

Jeez!!! Talk about your day from hell!!! Was really looking forward to the set up :(

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

Sorry to hear about your day. I was really looking forward to seeing your display.
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Roberto! I'm really feeling for you right now dude.

We're talking about having some kind of Mego gathering in New York at the end of July when Cjefferys and I will be in town, perhaps we can figure out if that's a chance for you to show off all your hard work to a small group of us.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

You know, your project is important and everyone here seriously wanted to see it but, given a choice, we would much rather see you here. Any chance of grabbing a flight and coming without toys? Well do our best to make sure you leave with some.
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• darklord1967
                          Persistent Member
                          • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir
                          Roberto! I'm really feeling for you right now dude.

We're talking about having some kind of Mego gathering in New York at the end of July when Cjefferys and I will be in town, perhaps we can figure out if that's a chance for you to show off all your hard work to a small group of us.

I would DEFINITELY be up for that!! PLEASE keep me posted!

Im so damned depressed today, i feel like leapin' off a damned bridge...

Comment

• darklord1967
                            Persistent Member
                            • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by Random Axe
                            You know, your project is important and everyone here seriously wanted to see it but, given a choice, we would much rather see you here. Any chance of grabbing a flight and coming without toys? Well do our best to make sure you leave with some.
                            Its sentiments like THIS that make my absense from the meet this year so very, very painful to me. You guys have become my family.... Encouraging, supporting, and cheering me on throughout the year as I work to complete my project.

RA, buddy, thank you so very much for those kind words. Unfortunately, i have already cancelled my flights and hotel reservations. Re-booking now would be beyond my meager finances (especially after what ive already spent developing my display, and failed attemps at transporting it... More than $300 spent yesterday alone transporting myself and my displays in a large van to, around, and from the airport.)

You know it's ironic: for some reason i developed ALL of the printed materials for my 9Art line (custom action figure boxes, certificates of authenticity, file cards, etc)... ALL of it with copyright info dated 2017.

I guess 2016 was just not meant to be.

Comment

• megowgsh
                              Customego HoF Curator
                              • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by Random Axe
                              DITTO!
                              Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎