X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apjac Corny
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 12, 2016

The Batman 1939

I never customized a Mego Batman figure before so I'd figure that I would start at the beginning with "The Batman" from his first appearance ever in Detective Comics 27 from May of 1939.

The Batman

The head is from eBay and painted by me
    Body is a Zica Type-S
    Bodysuit, gloves, boots & cape are from CTVT
    Bat emblem is from Magyar
    Underpants are from Doc Mego

The Zica hands were dyed purple with Rit synthetic dye. I tried a few different styles of cut down gloves but purple hands looked best and was more true to the look in the comic.

The grey body suit from CTVT fit nice and loose for a change. Doc Mego's underpants went over the bodysuit without issue. I think the CTVT are sized for WWE figures or something, they are always too tight. I try to use the good doctors whenever I can.

The utility belt was made from a reproduction CTVT Mego Batman belt. Batman's belt changes in the issue of the comic. In one part he has the round buckle then it quickly switches to a square one. So either one is correct I guess. It's a square one on the cover of Detective Comics 27, round one in his first on panel appearance.

I made the center part of the belt out of styrene. I removed the buckle from the repro belt by carefully cutting it away with a sharp X-acto knife. I then drilled a hole though the belt so an 1/8th plastic pin that I glued on the rear of the disk could be inserted. I then mixed a yellow color to exactly match the belt and painted the disk to match. When dry, I inserted the disk, cut the pin flush and gently melted the pin to the belt with a hot screwdriver. Kinda the same way that you do tracks on a tank model. The disk is a little bigger than it should be because I need to hide the portion of the belt buckle that I cut off. If it was any smaller you see the marred plastic. I didn't want to paint the entire belt because the acrylic paint that I use wouldn't adhere to the plastic of the repro belt.

The head was well cast and a breeze to clean up and paint.

Magyar's vinyl bat logo is perfect.

And that's my first Batman, the first of many! I'm really happy with it and look forward to doing more. It was really fun to do. I guess it's right in my golden age wheelhouse. A place that I'm really comfortable in.
  • nubee
    Career Member
    • Feb 15, 2010

I love it. Your painting is superb. This Batman really captures that 1939 feel. I 'm in the process of trying to make some custom Batman(s) too using the Batman 66 parts. (I'm hoping they will turn out OK.) I find this in the WOW factor. I DON'T believe this is your 1st custom (Can't wait to see the others.) ( It deserves a custom box from The Toyroom.)

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

neat, love the head and the paints are perfect. Makes me want to do a new Batman myself.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• daz71
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2014

fantastic as usual he looks quite sinister.

Comment

• pmwasson
          Maker
          • Sep 12, 2007

Very cool. I really like your painting.
          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

Looks fantastic! Perfect job, and you did a great job dying the hands.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
              Moderation Engineer
              • Aug 14, 2003

If you were a super villain I'd call you Dye Master. The grain of the CTVT bodysuit is really nice.

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Another winner. Others have already pointed out the great painting and dying... so I'll just add that is a really slick utility belt.

Comment

• Grimjohn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 28, 2011

Well done.
                  My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• jacsfc
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 2, 2004

Very mego like. Great job.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Your paints continue to amaze. This is a fantastic version of one of my favorite versions of my favorite character! Awesome sauce!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Neutron X
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 22, 2007

Another great winner! I am really enjoying watching what you create and the choices you make. You make it look easy and it isn't. I can't wait to see more favorites.

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

More great paints, awesome job.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 4, 2011

That is amazing!

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by nubee
                              I DON'T believe this is your 1st custom (Can't wait to see the others.) ( It deserves a custom box from The Toyroom.)
                              It's my very first Batman but not my first custom. I think this one makes 25, I'm still a rookie and learning so much with every figure I do.
                              You're right, he almost looks nekkid without a box. I ordered one from The Toyroom earlier today

Thanks everyone, more Batmen to come!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎