X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickD
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 31, 2011

9 Inch Remco Wolfman

anyone know of any known variations for the Remco 9' Wolfman?

I bought another boxed Wolfman the other day on eBay and compared it to mine and there was some noticeable differences.

The hair on the chin of the wolfman is different including how dark the skin is
    The length of the top shirt is different where the button is
    The box has a different coloring around the "Free Inside"

[/QUOTE]
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

That's interesting; I will have to check mine. I think the change in paint masks makes a big difference.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Try comparing, too, the torso plastic--I seem to recall a darker brown, reddish version with an almost marbleized quality--compared to a lighter brown, solid tone.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Fascinating! My favorite in that series and I never knew there were differences! I'll have to check mine as well. Nice catch!

Comment

• RickD
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 31, 2011

Here are some more pictures. Both boxes are original, Made in Hong Kong. I have never known a variation and nothing online indicates one;

Last edited by RickD; Jun 12, '16, 7:18 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Well, I have a mixture, which is not surprising since I've had 3 wolfmen and some parts-swapping has occurred. (Too, my Mummy has wolfman hands because they could also pass as wrinkly.)

My boxes (all first-run, I think) all feature amber liners and the darker orange around "FREE INSIDE!"

My wolfman clothing features the longer tunic.

I have bodies,parts that feature darker, redder torsos and feet, and 1 featuring duller, lighter brown.

My boxed figure (not MIB) has a head with the less opaque glow vinyl and a solid paint app but without the "goatee" inset. That app has the more slanted brows, as well.

I wish I could be more definitive, but almost all my Remco monsters are slightly customized and as I said, some parts swapping/repairs have occurred.

Thank you for the pix.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 12, '16, 7:28 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

Most likely Catalog vs Store Shelf.

A LOT of the 9-inch were catalog orders - JCP IIRC - compared to the 3 3/4 which had more outlets, like Woolworths. I would guess one is the original catalog order, the other was store, then the remaining catalog stock was sold and shipped out to whoever - Kiddie City and their subsets I would guess. Or closeouts.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

To my eye, the softness of the hairline and missing chin hair looks like a damaged or misaligned paint mask. I've seen a lot of Wolf Mans over the years and that's the only one I've ever seen like that. Makes me think it's just a QC issue.

Comment

• RickD
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 31, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  To my eye, the softness of the hairline and missing chin hair looks like a damaged or misaligned paint mask. I've seen a lot of Wolf Mans over the years and that's the only one I've ever seen like that. Makes me think it's just a QC issue.
                  Definitely a possibility, but then you have the different color of the skin, the length of the tunic, and the different color inserts and "Free Inside"

Comment

• RickD
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 31, 2011

Originally posted by hedrap
                    Most likely Catalog vs Store Shelf.

A LOT of the 9-inch were catalog orders - JCP IIRC - compared to the 3 3/4 which had more outlets, like Woolworths. I would guess one is the original catalog order, the other was store, then the remaining catalog stock was sold and shipped out to whoever - Kiddie City and their subsets I would guess. Or closeouts.
                    I never thought about this possibility. I had no idea Catalog versions could be different.

Other 9 Inch Remco Monsters have the different color inserts as well.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I agree about the light paint app being apparent in the one figure, but there's a definite difference in the chin and eyebrow shapes, indicating a different mask IMO. My figure has a solid, deeply-colored paint mask--without the goatee detail and with longer, slanted brows.

The suggestion about catalog offerings is interesting--all my initial figures (wave 1) came from JCPenneys; I'm the original owner but as I said, some tinkering has occurred.

Comment

• RickD
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 31, 2011

Here are some completed eBay auctions for random Remco 9 inch Wolfman;

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

I found another pic of one just like the one in question...so it appears to be a genuine variation.

wolfman_remco.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

^ The head on mine is quite like that.

Thanks Rick, now I'm a bit obsessed with finding that goatee variation.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎