X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Anybody here ever own a moped ?

I remember back in the late 70's seems like all my buddies had one.

I always wanted one but was never allowed to ride my bike on the street so having a moped wouldn't have done me much good.

I did have miles of dirt farm roads to ride on but I had my "field car" for that.

Still, I wonder what they felt like driving one. ... motorcycle-ish ?. ... or more bike-ish ?
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

I own one now. It's kind of hard to describe how it is to drive one. But they sure aren't like riding a bike. When first starting out,it's hard trying to keep your balance on one.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I've had scooters, but never a moped.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I've ridden several mopeds over the years. They drive a lot like a bike when compared to a scooter.

This is like the one I rode the most, a Honda Express. I wish I had kept track on how many miles I put on it when I was a kid. Lived in a rural area and police were scarce so I rode this to my friends house every day, baseball practice, to the store etc.... Used to take it trail riding as well, needed a little help up some of the hills.

My father in law picked up one of those mopeds you could pedal and pedal to start. I would avoid one of those, man that will kill you. Beyond that we've had plenty of Honda and Yamaha scooters, 50cc and under and I have a Honda Elite 80 in the shed right now.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

Seemed like everyone, except me, had a Puch Moped back in the day.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

never. but that orange one looks sweet
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• ZMOQ
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jun 1, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
              I remember back in the late 70's seems like all my buddies had one.

I always wanted one but was never allowed to ride my bike on the street so having a moped wouldn't have done me much good.

I did have miles of dirt farm roads to ride on but I had my "field car" for that.

Still, I wonder what they felt like driving one. ... motorcycle-ish ?. ... or more bike-ish ?
              Oh yeah, you never forget your first bike. It was a 1980 Yamaha Champ. It was a small 50cc bike, but it had a 2-speed automatic transmission. We have some major hills in San Francisco, and I remember driving west on Pine Street as it went uphill towards Powell (where the cable cars ran). The bike was going 15mph, but on that hill, the speed dropped to 8mph as it switched back to first gear. I used it for 2 years as a commuter bike.

Looked like this (note: not my bike. Pic from the Internet):

On a flat road, it maxed out at about 35 mph.

A moped is definitely more motorcycle-ish as far as how it feels driving one. Not at all like a bicycle.
              Last edited by ZMOQ; Jun 12, '16, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎