X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Mego Meet 2006 Video

This was waaaay before my time, but it's fun to see so many familiar faces. Ten years ago!

really cool reading personal recap of the event. Kind of wish the links to the other accounts worked, I'll assume they were lost in the move to the "new" forums way back.
    The day was far from winding down, after Ray's well done Micronauts seminar, people got a sort of sloppy presentation about Foreign Mego ...

this was the line that struck me, and I think is still true to this day.
    And that was it, as quick it came, it was gone. I've been to every Mego related event in the last few years and I honestly have to say that Mego Meet 2006 was my favourite. While still being a top quality event, it had a wonderful relaxed energy running through it that I've never experienced before.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 6, '16, 11:31 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

Slightly before mine as well..by a year, I started going in 2007. Nice to see this again, as while the move was needed and has been great, it's easy to forget how nice it was to coming to Wheeling every year before the changes to the area and the growth of the event made it no longer viable. I actually had an aborted trip last year where one of the routes would have taken me through the area and I was going take a couple of pics for fun.

Comment

• megowgsh
      Customego HoF Curator
      • Nov 19, 2003

that.
      was.
      AWESOME!!!
      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Jeez I was skinny....
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• WannabeMego
          Made in the USA
          • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
          Jeez I was skinny....
          I think we all were

If I remember correctly, the 1st days setup was during a torrential rainstorm...and...

Folks were bringing in all kinds of Mego Goodness for Mr. Holcomb to take pictures for his Mego Book

Always liked that video by Dave, except for the fact that it shows me running around like a maniac in the beginning ...and MAN were those kids mannequins super creepy in that upstairs attic/room...OYE!!!

Bill always has the coolest shirts...was that a Gatchaman Shirt at the end of the Video?

Also miss seeing Chris, Dave, & Ron those last few years...
          Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Jeez I was skinny....

Sadly I wasn't. Happy times. I look better the grainier the picture gets. I don't miss the Kruger Street elevator, but looking back there's a certain Cheers vibe there. I may go to the Marx convention just to reminisce.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by WannabeMego

If I remember correctly, the 1st days setup was during a torrential rainstorm...and...

Folks were bringing in all kinds of Mego Goodness for Mr. Holcomb to take pictures for his Mego Book

Always liked that video by Dave, except for the fact that it shows me running around like a maniac in the beginning
              y'know, this is the one thing that always strikes me about you Tom... despite being indifferent to Megos/Toy Collecting, it appears even from the beginning you've been a pitch in/help/hustle kinda guy. My first Mego Meet, you always made sure I had a soda or were passing around snacks. You are a credit to New Yorkers sir!

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                Sadly I wasn't. Happy times. I look better the grainier the picture gets. I don't miss the Kruger Street elevator, but looking back there's a certain Cheers vibe there. I may go to the Marx convention just to reminisce.
                I've always been HUGELY curious about Marx Meet, i mean is it Bizarro Mego Meet, or more a Ghost of Christmas Future for us? If it was't for the distance, I'd go check it out for sure. Take pics! 8)

oh wow... it looks like they are the same weekend as us this year!
                Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 7, '16, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Marx Meet struck me as better attended (and longer established). Seeing as their is a connection to Marx in that area, it's sort of like holding a Kenner convention in Ohio.

Somebody once photographed it and the dealers went all the way to the main floor, the crowd was distinctly grayer than we were.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Marx Meet struck me as better attended (and longer established). Seeing as their is a connection to Marx in that area, it's sort of like holding a Kenner convention in Ohio.

Somebody once photographed it and the dealers went all the way to the main floor, the crowd was distinctly grayer than we were.
                    Like Ed said, Ghost of Christmas future. We could have done multiple floors to accommodate our expansion, but Wheeling. We could always go back once air conditioning is invented.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

It might be nice to eventually go back to Wheeling a decade later when we're feeling a bit more nostalgic about the place. By then we'd match the age of the folks in these photos at Marx Meet.

Looks like they have panels in the room upstairs

and bins full of parts, not unlike us!

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

It didn't hurt that the owner and his son were passionate Marx collectors either.

Honestly, the decision to move MM away from Wheeling was never because of the Toy and Train Museum, in fact the cosey nature of that building and the local friends we had, made it harder to depart.

Comment

• Flynne
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jan 22, 2003

It didn't hurt that the owner and his son were passionate Marx collectors either.

Honestly, the decision to move MM away from Wheeling was never because of the Toy and Train Museum, in fact the cosey nature of that building and the local friends we had, made it harder to depart.
                          I agree. Though I only miss the Toy Museum, and not the pains of having the event there.

As for the video, we were all soooo much younger then.
                          An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Flynne
                            I agree. Though I only miss the Toy Museum, and not the pains of having the event there.
                            Agreed, I think we were probably overdue for the move but the comfort and convenience of it all made it hard to launch.

Originally posted by Flynne
                            As for the video, we were all soooo much younger then.
                            A few faces I miss in there...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

So interesting . I regret not meeting Dave in the years I went. Such a kind guy.

I loved Kruger--the last year there seemed magical to me, people worked so hard to make it extra-special that last year. And I got to chat with Art.

Your comment about the AC made me smile---I recall Dwayne melting like Jackie Vernon's Frosty one year.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎