X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apjac Corny
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 12, 2016

Aquaman - Quick & Easy

I have a lot in common with Aquaman. I talk to fish. Really, I talk to them all the time but they never talk back. I have over 50 that I keep as pets and they are my friends but it's really a one way relationship. It's worth it though, they bring so much joy to my life as does Aquaman.

I've always loved the character my entire life and have been one of his chief defenders in my local comic book shops for years. I've read the comics, watched him on TV on many a Saturday morning and cringed in the 90's. He was the first FTC retro figure I bought on a Kresge card when I got back into Megos earlier in the year.

The first piece of comic art that I ever bought was from one of his creators, Ramona Fradon. So when I came across this head sculpt on eBay which strongly reminded me of her version of the character, I couldn't resist doing a custom Mego.

It's ACK-qua man!

Head is from eBay, painted by me
    Body is a Zica Type S
    The suit is from FTC Superfriends line available loose on CTVT
    The wonderful box is from The Toyroom

The FTC suit fit reasonably well on the Zica body but the sleeves could be a bit longer The gloves were molded with a lot of flash. I removed the excess plastic with the aid of a Bic lighter. I think these gloves are unique to Aquaman. They are held in place by a piece of 3/16th styrene rod inserted into the arm.

The head was a breeze to clean up and paint.

Aquaman was quick & easy, did the whole figure from start to finish in a single morning.

I love this piece by Ramona Fradon, it makes me wish I could breathe underwater.

Awesome box by The Toyroom as usual.

Well that's it for now. It looks like there's room in that box for Topo, I'm off to find a rubber octopus!
  • Type3Toys
    Home Of The Type3 Body
    • Jan 18, 2005

That is nice!
    LOOK
    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

Fantastic Looking Aquaman!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I love it, I'm a great Aqua-fan.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
          Persistent Member
          • Apr 28, 2013

That looks great but man, your paints really, really put this over the top.

Comment

• gummi
            Career Member
            • Dec 2, 2009

Crushed it as always! My picture folder is starting to fill up with your customs.
            "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• BATMAN89
              Mego obsessed!!!
              • Jul 20, 2010

That is really nice!!!
              Excellent paints!!!
              Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
              My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Vinny0026
                Year Five!!
                • Jan 26, 2012

You do an amazing job painting these heads - Fantastic!
                Are you using a brush? or some sort of spray gun? Either way really clean and awesome work - Well done!
                "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• daz71
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2014

beautiful paints again .the suit fits really nicely on the zica body,.great box ,an all round winner.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Classic.

Comment

• Grimjohn
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 28, 2011

Magnificent job! Immaculate paints!
                      My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Nice work on ol' AC. I'll chime in with everyone else: your paint work on the faces is outstanding. The palettes you use, along with the applications, give the faces a very vintage, straight-out-of-the-50s feel.
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Jan 12, 2016

Thanks Everybody, I finally got the Aquaman figure I've always wanted!

Originally posted by Vinny0026
                          Are you using a brush? or some sort of spray gun?
                          Both. I lay down my base coat of flesh with an airbrush. Nothing fancy, just a single action Paasche. Those things are bulletproof and I highly recommend one if you are in the market for an airbrush. Then I do some basic shading around the cheeks. Everything else is hand painted with good quality brushes. I like to use Testors Modelmaster acrylic paint. I thin them slightly for use in an airbrush. In most cases you can paint with them right out of the bottle for brush work. After everything is dry I give the head a few light coats of Krylon matte finish. This gives the head a overall uniform appearance and even hides some brush strokes.

Painting is the easy, fun part. Prepping the head for paint takes the most time and can be a real drag. I spend the majority of my customization time filling air holes, scraping away parting lines, adding back detail and priming the head. Tamiya grey primer is awesome. It's pretty fine so you won't lose detail and gives you a great surface to paint on.

I feel the head should be perfect before you commit to painting it. This bit me in the butt a few days ago. I rushed the head into finish paints and noticed a pretty major defect. I had to stop everything and carve in with my Dremmel tool in some detail that was lost in the molding process.

If you had Megos as a kid, you're old enough that your eyes are probably starting to go bad. Do yourself a favor and get an OptiVISOR, you won't regret it. I use a 3.5X. You can get them on Amazon, don't forget to use the Mego Muesum link!
                          Last edited by Apjac Corny; Jun 5, '16, 7:28 PM.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                            Year Five!!
                            • Jan 26, 2012

Thanks for all the info - I might look into that airbrush. Would work for lots of stuff around the house a well as Mego customs
                            "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• comicmike
                              Persistent Member
                              • Sep 22, 2009

O my god, that is truly incredible

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎