X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

body hair?

OK, working on Captain Wonder from Timely Comics and the great Marvel series the Twelve. He wears shorty shorts and in The Twelve, the artist goes out of his way to show the leg hair to emphasize that the guy doesn't bother to shave his legs like other hairless characters of the time like Namor or Robin. Is there a way to portray it on a dollie, or will it just look stupid?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Tough call. You could try:

-sculpting on a few select patches, such as a long the back of the leg. This trick works for fur; but maybe notsomuch with hair.
    -carve a few nicks into the plastic; like whan an artist shows stubble in a comic, and paint 'em in.

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

should have put a pic up.

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
        Formerly known as Del
        • Dec 12, 2004

When I took a stage makeup course, we had a little piece of material that was kind of like a square cut of Brillo pad in our kit. That's what we used to do stubble. You might be able to use something like that, maybe with some raised or textured paint.
        I was also thinking about that trick where you take a toothbrush, dab paint on the bristles, and run your finger across them, splattering paint across a surface. You might want to use a fairly small brush and a small amount of paint to get small enough splatters. If you're not sure what I mean, look at the silver spots on the recent DC Direct Donna Troy figure's costume.
        It doesn't look like he has terribly hairy legs, or I was going to suggest flocking
        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

Just use some Spray Glue, & some of your BodyHair Bolt... Might be interesting.
          BTW,.. you can get A TommyGun Like that from the recent DC Universe Two-Face Figure.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
            Mighty Man/Monster Maker
            • Aug 14, 2007

I'm loving THE TWELVE. I don't know about body hair. I mean, for Puck or Wolverine or something it might seem important, but I think this guy is just supposed to be a "real adult". I think the hairy legs might attract more attention that they're worth.

I can't see that guy and not think, "Dude, put on some pants!"

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
            https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
              Stuck in a laundry shoot.
              • Oct 8, 2007

Yeah he is pretty imposing with the cool mask and all then your like, Dude where are your pants? Like if you had to get out of a burning building and all you found was your shirt to wear and a pair of tighty red undies.
              I was thinking something like del was saying with some sand glued on or texture paint. Maybe spray adhesive on the legs then dipped in sand. Might look like stubble but then considering the scale it may work. I would definately use something disposable to try out different methods on like a popsicle stick or something til I got it right.
              "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

>When I took a stage makeup course, we had a little piece of material that was kind of like a square cut of Brillo pad in our kit. That's what we used to do stubble.

THAT is a great idea; although you'll need something pretty small for a Mego figure. Don't worry about the textured paint, regular paint should look fine.

>that trick where you take a toothbrush, dab paint on the bristles, and run your finger across them, splattering paint across a surface.

Nah, they'll look like chicken-pox.

>Maybe spray adhesive on the legs then dipped in sand.

That's not a bad idea; but it'd be tough to get the sort of limited coverage you'd need. Maybe a glue/water mix, lightly sprayed through an atomizer? Use a fan to blow flocking onto the figure, so you get minimal coverage? You can probably find something at a hobby/model railroad store. If you can get a thin enough coverage you'd be able to use model grass. Apply it before you paint and drybrush the hair colour over it.....

Tricky stuff....

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Thanks guys and gal, I'll play around with those ideas on a junker and see what looks good. I think the hairy legs are important to the design since it plays up the goofy bare legs of the guy.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎