X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apjac Corny
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 12, 2016

Everybody's Favorite Bolovaxian Kilowog

This was supposed to be a quicky custom using an extra EMCE Mike Tyson body that I had lying around from a previous custom. I've always loved Kilowog, he's my favorite Lantern next to Hal. So when a head popped up on eBay that I liked I decided to take a shot at him. I hope you like him!

The head is from eBay with paints by me
    The suit & boots are from CTVT
    The body is from BIFF BANG POW! Mike Tyson astronaut
    The ring was fabricated by me from styrene tubing & strips

The BBP EMCE muscle body that I used had white hands. That was a good thing because I didn't want to use gloves with this figure. The bad thing is they were painted pretty poorly and were very fragile. I snapped the pins simply by turning the hand. I glued what remained of the joint without the broken pins and drilled them and glued a 3/16th steel dowel pin into the hands so that they plug into the body. This is important because with painted hands just moving them around is going to mar the finish. With the snug fitting pins, I can pull the hands out slightly to re-position them without harming the paint. I sanded away the parting lines to give them a more finished look and painted the arms white midway up the bicep.

Little did I know that Dr. Mego has these bodies available in white. For a lousy 7 bucks I would have saved a ton of work. Gimmie a break, I'm still kinda new here

The ring was also made with a pin and is removable. If I wanted to, I could add accessories coming out of the hand. Maybe I'll explore that in the future. The ring that is on the FTC gloves is removable, it's only a glued on tiny piece of plastic. So I guess I could've used that one. I felt that Kilowog need some serious bling on that big hand of his and not something the size of a pinhead.

The head is a solid sculpt and needed very little clean up or fitting. I mixed the pink myself from some Testors acrylic paints and airbrushed the base coat. I then gave it a thin wash with some burnt sienna oil paint to bring out some of the detail. Added some red eyes and a coat of Krylon Matte finish and Kilowog's head was done in under 20 minutes.

I got the suit from CTVT. They are available loose and come with boots & gloves. The first suit I got it the mail was defective with a big pull right next to the logo. I sure was mad and cursed FTC's quality control department but it was a blessing in disguise. It allowed me to play around a bit with some scissors to get that wide collar look that Kilowog is so fond of. The high collar on the suit has a natural hem that will allow it to be cut away without pulling or running. I used my super sharp Fiskars scissors to do the cutting and with a Bic lighter, I carefully flame hemmed any stray threads. It worked out really well. I then ordered another suit and repeated the process for the finished figure. I was really surprised how easy the suit went on that muscle body, I was expecting a disaster. I then went back and painted the top of the torso pink because it would now show through the collar. The sleeves on the suit didn't need to be cut or anything, they were already shortened at the factory to accommodate the gloves. The length just worked out perfectly. The boots are superhero boots with the pointy part cut off.

I'm happy with how he came out and thrilled to have a figure with a different body type in my collection. I'm planning a Hal Jordan sometime in the very near future, got the head in the mail next last week. So it looks like this is the beginning on my own custom Mego Green Lantern Corp!
    Last edited by Apjac Corny; May 29, '16, 9:30 PM.
  • gummi
    Career Member
    • Dec 2, 2009

He looks awesome! You're on fire with the customs!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• lilbrosj66
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 4, 2011

He looks great! Love it!

Comment

• daz71
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2014

excellent work.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Another winner. I agree... you made the right call on the ring. Looks great.

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by gummi
            He looks awesome! You're on fire with the customs!
            Ditto!

Comment

• TomStrong
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2011

That's an awesome figure! Keep'em coming.

Comment

• ScottA
                Original Member
                • Jun 25, 2001

Looks really good. Love the ring on the hand.
                sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Grimjohn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 28, 2011

Stellar job!
                  My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

nice job, great paints on the head.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Apjac Corny
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jan 12, 2016

Thanks Everybody. I'm really happy with the way he turned out.

Now all I need is a box...Toyroom?

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, you're really knocking these out of the park.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎