X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apjac Corny
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 12, 2016

Christopher Reeve...My Superman

I've been on a Superman kick recently, I did one last week and have at least three more planned in the near future. I just finished the one I consider the most important for my collection of custom Megos.

Here's my favorite Superman of them all, Christopher Reeve.

I read Superman comics off & on my whole childhood. I watched the George Reeves TV show, the Fleischer cartoons & Super Friends but was never really hooked until 1978 when I saw Superman, The Movie. A decent head popped up on eBay a few weeks ago so I grabbed it and thought I'd give a Reeve Superman a try. I only hope I did the character and his legacy justice.

The body is a Zica Type S
    The head is from eBay
    The costume is from FTC's Super Friends version of Superman
    The boots are slightly modified CTVT Mego superhero boots
    The chest emblem is from a Superman sticker set from the pinewood derby section in a hobby shop. They also have a nice Batman set with a few Mego sized logos available as well. The printing is topnotch, you just need to trim them carefully to get rid of a "TM" on the edge. It really doesn't match the one in the film exactly but it's an improvement over the one that's already on the suit.

The suit is a bit too blue and the belt, while really nice is a bit too long and really doesn't line up with the belt loops all that well. I cut a bit off the end of the belt and skipped a belt loop around the back of the suit in order to center it. I really like the cape and how it lays on the figure.

I traded the boots that came with the suit for red CTVT superhero boots. The rubbery pair that came with the suit were just so clunky and really weighed down the overall look of the figure.

I really have trouble believing a man can fly with these things on his feet...

That's it for now, back to the workbench!
    I hope you like it!
    Last edited by Apjac Corny; May 23, '16, 7:53 PM.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Another home run! I think we'd all love to hear some of your painting tips. How do you get the rosy cheeks look? The head turned out fantastic!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Grimjohn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 28, 2011

"Super"bly done!
      My Finished Custom Figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

My favorite, too--and it does Chris proud.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 18, 2015

Man, you're on a roll!
          The hands that grip.

Comment

• Apjac Corny
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 12, 2016

Originally posted by Brown Bear
            Another home run! I think we'd all love to hear some of your painting tips. How do you get the rosy cheeks look?
            It's super easy! I have a "blush" mix of paint that consists of my base flesh tone mixed with a little red. After the head is painted in it's flesh tone and thoroughly dry, I airbrush a thin mixture of my blush mix in the cheek area. There's really no way to screw it up. I then paint the hair, eyes & lips.

Don't have or want an airbrush? Try some pastels. After your head is completely painted, grind some pastel on a piece of sandpaper into a fine dust. Using a dry brush apply the pastel to the cheek area until you achieve the desired effect. Seal it with some fixative or Krylon matte finish. The clear coat may dull down the blush effect so you may have to repeat the process until you get the look you want. Make sure you spray in light coats or you could cause the pastels to look weird.

If you don't like the look of the Krylon matte finish and feel it's too shiny, try Testors Dullcote. It will seal the finish and will be completely flat. Again, light coats with this stuff and no more than two. This stuff can be tricky but the results can be worth it. If you do go heavy it will turn the finish milky white. But no worries, allow it to dry completely and hit it with Krylon matte finish to restore it and eliminate the milkiness.

Don't be afraid to experiment!

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• daz71
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2014

fantastic work and paints are outstanding ,the chest emblem looks great and you're right about the boots.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Very nicely done! I really like the paint apps, the head sculpt, and the outfit you used. That's an excellent custom! Great work!!

Comment

• jacsfc
                    Career Member
                    • Aug 2, 2004

Very nice!

Comment

• BATMAN89
                      Mego obsessed!!!
                      • Jul 20, 2010

Wow! Beautiful work!!!
                      Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                      My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Pretty fantastic!
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ODBJBG
                          Permanent Member
                          • May 15, 2009

Fantastic work. I could never paint a head like that, so customs like this are just impossible to me. But I am a big fan of what you've done here and it's great to see some more Supes stuff on MM.

Comment

• starsky
                            veteran member
                            • Aug 26, 2007

you got talent! supes looks outstanding like your kojak!

Comment

• TomStrong
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2011

That's what Superman should look like! Great figure and the paints are excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎