X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flynne
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 22, 2003

Robert Taylor as "Lancelot" from 1954's "Knights of the Round Table

To those people who have heard this story before (or even worse been subjected to my PowerPoint presentation on the subject) - my apologies for the background info.

For years I wondered why Mego made an Ivanhoe figure in jousting armor:

Clearly the headsculpt is Robert Taylor, who played Ivanhoe in the 1953 MGM film of the same name, but the armor the Mego figure wears is nowhere to be found in the film:

Then I saw MGM's 1954 follow-up to "Ivanhoe" from Director Richard Thorpe, "Knights of the Round Table", also starring Robert Taylor, this time as "Lancelot of the Lake". As soon as Lancelot came on the screen I realized what Mego had done:

I wanted to make a Lancelot figure from KOTRT as Mego might have made it, so all of the parts, except for the plume and red coathardie pieces, are vintage Mego parts. So after taking the helm, boots, head, shield, and lance from Mego's Ivanhoe, and combining it with the chaimail sleeves and pants from Mego's Black Knight figure, adding a new custom made red coathardie, and finishing it off with the sword and sword belt from Mego's Lancelot, I got this:

The picture makes the red coathardie look more pale red than it is in person, and I need to get a better red plume for the helm. Also the lion rampant on the chest needs some redesign to be brighter, and I would like to loosen up the sleeves to add the shoulder armor from Mego's Black Knight. But my wife told me I am a perfectionist, and that I should put those corrections in a future version of the figure (since she knows I am just going to keep remaking it until I am happy with it) and just post it here. Needless to say I did as I was told

I'll probably make another run at this custom, but I have several others on my plate before I can come back to it, so I guess it will have to do for now.

Thanks,
    Derek
    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Pretty cool, I like that better than the Mego one.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

wow he looks great dude
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

He looks alot Better than the Mego Version.
        Congrats Man,.. great stuff.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• monkey tennis
          "Kiss my face."
          • Jun 8, 2007

"...I have to push the pram a lot"
          "I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"

Comment

• mego73
            Printed paperboard Tiger
            • Aug 1, 2003

Looks great!

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• misterdroid
              Banned
              • Jan 10, 2008

Wow. That's perfect. Amazing. Nice detective work also!

Comment

• Hulk
                Mayor of Megoville
                • May 10, 2003

I always enjoy your knack for authenticity. Excellent job sir!

Comment

• Dave Mc
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 20, 2002

Cool Derek! I wondered how long it would take you to create this. I knew you would ever since seeing your power point on this at the meet.

One area that seems to be missing is armor around the neck. What about adding the neck peice from BK, then perhaps a little material from a CTVT Knight jumper to give that loose chainmail look that comes from the helmet and flows down to the neck armor? Perhaps that's too detailed for Mego, but it would look cool!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

What a super job!
                    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Flynne
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                      One area that seems to be missing is armor around the neck. What about adding the neck peice from BK, then perhaps a little material from a CTVT Knight jumper to give that loose chainmail look that comes from the helmet and flows down to the neck armor? Perhaps that's too detailed for Mego, but it would look cool!
                      I've thought exactly the same thing. I tried to make it as I believed Mego might have made it, but the neck area is terribly bare as it is now and something of a glaring ommision. I've been thinking of doing exactly as you suggest, except that I would cut down the Black Knight's gorget to more of a point than the rounded shape it currently has, and then attack some spare chainmail material to the inside of the helm. I think it's more than I think Mego would have done if they had produced the figure, but I also think it will look darn cool.

Then of course there's a custom of his mount "Berrick" to consider, and then perhaps I might be done with this. But that too is done the road a bit.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. They are much appreciated.
                      An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• hobub
                        Ghost of a Dead Indian
                        • Jun 18, 2001

Excellent job!! I agree on the neck piece.

I think next up you should tackle Errol Flynn's Captain Blood!
                        or Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex. Lots could be done with Mego's Flynn sculpt. Someone needs to do a long hair custom of it for Blood and a movie accurate Hood.

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

We should have a place here to put pics of where Mego got some of their design ideas such as these. These are obviously the reference photos they used in the design. I have never seen these pics but often wondered why only one knight got a jousting lance. This answers the question. There must be some for stuff like the Starsky and Hutch line as well as others. BTW great job on the custom Derek!
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• megoscott
                            Founding Partner
                            • Nov 17, 2006

That's so great. You are an uber geek and I salute you!
                            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Flynne
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jan 22, 2003

Originally posted by megocrazy
                              I have never seen these pics but often wondered why only one knight got a jousting lance. This answers the question.
                              But the question it doesn't answer is why Mego designed two jousting horses for two characters (Ivanhoe and the Black Knight) but only gave one a lance. That's a kind of one sided tilt, don't you think? Of course the catalog page that features them does show BK with a lance identical to Ivanhoe's:

Originally posted by MegoScott
                              That's so great. You are an uber geek and I salute you!
                              Why thank you, kind sir! It's one of the few places that my love of Megos collides with my love of Medieval Cinema and Musicals, and finally my University degree field of Medieval History. It's a weird and obscure intersection to be sure, but it's where you'll fin me. I find the whole Super Knights line throughly fascinating from beginning to end, and often nearly assault other people with my enthusiasm for it.

Originally posted by hobub
                              I think next up you should tackle Errol Flynn's Captain Blood!
                              or Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex. Lots could be done with Mego's Flynn sculpt. Someone needs to do a long hair custom of it for Blood and a movie accurate Hood.
                              Oh, I have an "Adventures of Robin Hood" corrected Robin Hood coming down the pike at some point. However, I do not believe Mego's sculpt of Robin Hood is Errol Flynn as Robin (though oddly the sculpt looks more like Errol out of his makeup and wig):

Clearly the dagged top and colors are somewhat evocative of Errol Flynn's version of the character, but I think the source for Mego's Robin lies elsewhere as well. However that is an entirely different PowerPoint presentation

I think my next one in the movie version line will be either Robert Taylor as "Quentin Durward" (and kudos to you if you have any idea what I am talking about) or Richard Burton as King Arthur from the musical "Camelot", also starring Julie Andrews and Roddy McDowell:

Look familiar?
                              Last edited by Flynne; Apr 14, '08, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎