• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donkey Hoatie
    Supporter of Silliness
    • Jun 20, 2007

Some Troubling Belly News

Mego Folks,

I cannot verify that this is true, but one of my friends noted recently that Portillo's, glorious Portillo's, has messed with the recipes for a number of their standout items. Their most noxious offense? They changed the flavor of the Italian Beef sandwich. What was once one of the jewels of Chicago Italian beef sandwiches has apparently become a tasteless mess. I have not verified this for sure, but I'll be heading over there in the next few days to see if there's any truth to the rumor. I pray that this is untrue, but I've heard it from a couple of different sources now.

Apparently, the chicken sandwiches have been hit hard, too. We can all thank the PE firm that Portillo sold to back in late 2014. It took some time, but the bean counters have caught up and have begun sacrificing quality taste for saving a few cents on a spreadsheet somewhere.

I haven't been there for a couple of months, since I've been trying to work off the winter weight, but I feel sick to my stomach at the thought that one of my favorite places might be cratering from a culinary standpoint. In the meanwhile, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I'll report back once I have some first-hand experience.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
      Supporter of Silliness
      • Jun 20, 2007

I'm planning on going Monday night for dinner to the one right across the street from the hotel. Wish me luck. If I haven't posted anything by end of day Tuesday, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
        Supporter of Silliness
        • Jun 20, 2007

Went there last night, had an Italian Beef sandwich with mozzarella and sweet peppers. Also, had a Chicago-style dog. I can say that the beef is definitely less flavorful than it used to be. It's incremental. One of my friends was griping like it was the worst thing in the world. It's not. It's still good, just not other-world good the way it used to be. To be honest, most people might not even notice.

Hot dog tasted the same as always. I think this is much ado about nothing. Well, maybe not nothing, but nothing to really get your undies in a bundle over. Have at it, Megoheads. Have at it.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Mind (my stomach) at ease. Thank you.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

as long as they haven't messed with the Ribs! They passed the Random Axe taste test, and I vowed to try them this year.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
              Supporter of Silliness
              • Jun 20, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
              as long as they haven't messed with the Ribs! They passed the Random Axe taste test, and I vowed to try them this year.
              In all my years of eating there, I've never tried the ribs. I think it might be the one thing I've never had. Might have to go there soon and remedy that. It seems like a crime against everything that is sacred.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

for folks that are wondering what we are talking about, since it's right across the street, it became the de facto place to grab a lunch most people could agree on. We tended to wander over there in small groups when tummies started rumbling.

check out the menu here:

Yelp here:
                Specialties: America's most iconic fast casual restaurant since 1963. Born in Chicago and known for homemade Italian Beef Sandwiches, Chicago-style Hot Dogs, char-broiled burgers, cheese fries, Chopped salad, and famous homemade Chocolate Cake and Cake Shakes. Order online for takeout or delivery at Portillo's in Skokie, IL.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 8, 2015

I would also like to recommend BUONA BEEF as they have good beef, dawgs and Burgers!!

Comment

• David Lee
                    The Fix-it-up Chappie
                    • Jun 10, 2002

it's good... it's goooooooood!

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

So we've got the hot dogs covered... but remember our adventures in Deep Dish Pizza last year?

a bunch of us early birds hit Lou Malnati's on Thursday night.
                      louman.jpg

loum.jpg

then there was the Saturday night deep dish take-out extravaganza from Giordano's.
                      giord1.jpg

giord2.jpg

giordan3.jpg
                      Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 2, '16, 2:15 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir

a bunch of us early birds hit Lou Malnati's on Thursday night.
                        If you guys go there again this year, remember: don't ask for separate checks!

Comment

• Flynne
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jan 22, 2003

I salute your service to our stomachs, Charlie! I was worried when I started reading this thread.
                          An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎