X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

A Tribute to Rack Toys

A new and hopefully growing featuring to Plaidstallions will be the world of rack toys, which features the memorable lower priced toys from companies such as AHI, Fleetwood and Empire. If you've got something I don't have please drop me a line, I'd love to add it. Click the pics to visit.

uh, why does Superman need a parachute?
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by RSS
    uh, why does Superman need a parachute?
    Apparently the Supermobile experienced a malfunction while (temporarily powerless) Superman was navigating through a Kryptonite asteroid field and he had to bail...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

...and Spidey should be able to make his own out of webbing.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
        Museum Super Collector
        • May 18, 2007

I always liked the Planet of the Apes parachute figures. I used to wonder what the heck they were parachuting out of? The didn't have planes and they didn't even have buildings tall enough to jump from. Maybe they used them to parachute into craters in the Forbidden Zone!
        - Sweep

Comment

• joshvox
          Clown Prince of Crime
          • Mar 21, 2006

you gotta love these kinda toys. Very cool.

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Ahhh...those dime store impulse items. I remember the bubbles, the fake make-up sets, the junk jewelry, the fake nails, and yes, parachute people.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• DocDrako
              Formerly Doc Drako
              • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by HardyGirl
              Ahhh...those dime store impulse items. I remember the bubbles, the fake make-up sets, the junk jewelry, the fake nails, and yes, parachute people.
              Cool I get to share my lame bubbles story again! I bought some Spider-Man Bubbles as a kid and was playing with them when I noticed a second layer of paper under the label. Tearing off the label I discovered another labe underneath, and that my cool Spier-Man Bubbles were, in fact, less cool Battlestar Galactica Bubbles with a new label placed over the old one.

I used to buy the Doctor sets with the tiny doctor bag, thermometer, syringe, fake medicine, etc. They RoCkEd!
              "I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I'd like to mention that I'm always interested in contributions to this section.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megoat
                  A Therefore Experience
                  • Jun 10, 2003

Rack toys rule. I love their very concept. There is a bit of good 'ol fashioned snake oil American consumer bullshoot in their very design. The vast majority of them were sold on packaging alone. A generic plastic ship is miraculously packaged as the "love boat". A cheap toy telescope suddenly becomes a Planet Of The Apes "Chimpscope". I love it.

Everyone remembers being allowed to pick out a toy at the toy store. But how bout those times you were allowed to pick out a toy at the grocery store? It was like picking out your favorite generic soda.

I have so many many times thought about jumping in on this game. There are zillion different rack toys and most are really cheap. And they have that wonderful goofy quality that only comes from cheap vintage toyland.....

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 1, 2005

I was just rambling on to my fiance' the other day about how much I loved to go to the local Ben Franklin 5 & Dime, and pick up these rack toys. I never thought about them being "cheap" or lesser than any of my other toys. I spent so many hours playing with those Fly 'Em High figures, or with my Ghost Rider motorcycle, or even stuff like Silly Putty and Presto-Magix. I have as much of an affinity for these in my heart as I do for Mego and Star Wars and all that stuff. One day with any luck, I can start getting into collecting some of these pieces.

Man I love PlaidStallions.com, it's always guaranteed to make me smile

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎