X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Brush

I'm totally fascinated with little bits of weird super hero merchandise like this.

Here we have the marriage of hair care and our friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, whose mantra of putting his name on everything would put Garfield to shame. This is all the handiwork of the standard Pyroxoioid Corp. (sexy name!)

This set solves a big mystery to me, that's a repainted Marx Spider-Man figure (which was also sold by Fleetwood Toys a year earlier) and that carry case is often mistaken for a Mego item.

This is a pretty well thought out attempt to get boys excited about grooming, it probably didn't work but I gotta give props for the effort...

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

^ I dunno about getting boys excited about grooming ....

The pink box tells me they were shooting for the girl market -- which Spidey being a teen gives him a head start over most other heroes.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Other than the Spider-Man figure, I wouldn't have wanted that set and the brush looks just soft enough to scour an old pan.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

You took the words right out of my mouth Brian. The second I saw that, I said, " Now THERE is an advertised example of a painted Marx figure!" So very cool. Makes sense now.

Comment

• Godzilla
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 3, 2002

Yeah you know kids asked for this just to get the figure.
          Mortui Vivos Docent
          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• neogelion
            Museum Patron
            • Mar 11, 2009

The Spider-man figure is smaller than the Marx. They also did a Captain America that was painted, but the star on the shield was upside down. He was smaller, too.
            Zombie? Vampire? Evil clown?!? Yes, please.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

That is awesome!!! I would have loved that set as a kid. My Mom bought me the Batman and Superman brushes from Avon and I used them till the paint wore off....lol

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                That is awesome!!! I would have loved that set as a kid. My Mom bought me the Batman and Superman brushes from Avon and I used them till the paint wore off....lol
                I see those at Antique Malls everywhere, Avon must have sold train cars of those.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I see those at Antique Malls everywhere, Avon must have sold train cars of those.
                  I just got nostalgic about those brushes and the Superman bubble bath. I just went on ebay and bought them.....lol

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

My Mom bought me the Batman and Superman brushes from Avon and I used them till the paint wore off....lol
                    Ah, Avon, I remember really looking forward to those little catalogs.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      Ah, Avon, I remember really looking forward to those little catalogs.
                      My Mom Loved Avon....soon as she received a new catalog, I would go through it to see if they had anything cool for boys. Lot's of times it was hit or miss......I actually about a month ago bought a new Batman watch from an a Avon seller....lol somethings never change.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I actually about a month ago bought a new Batman watch from an a Avon seller....lol somethings never change.
                        That's pretty cool.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

My mom sold Avon, so I had an inside track on the DC brushes, and Superman and Batmobile bubble bath containers! I still have mine from childhood, although the paint on the brushes is nearly obliterated.

That Spidey set is cool. Well, the figure is. I wouldn't mine having one, as I'm tempted to paint my original orange Marx figure to bring out the awesome detail!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
                            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                            • Apr 3, 2007

My older sister sold Avon, I had a Charlie Brown brush. I did buy a Batman brush a while back, but I wanted to use it and wore some of the paint off, so stopped. But I do still have 2 pendant pals, and a Gilroy The Ghost GITD finger puppet and lip balm.
                            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

I would have loved these sets as a kid. just the artwork would have attracted me. Wow, haven't thought about the Avon books in a long while. I never had any superhero items but some peanut stuff and mostly I remember having some speedboat soaps! Good thoughts

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎