Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OEM or Upgrade: Would you do it? (re: CTVT/FTC new 2016 DC Items)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbros
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 3, 2012

OEM or Upgrade: Would you do it? (re: CTVT/FTC new 2016 DC Items)

Looking back, over all our criticisms of CTVT/FTC and their releases, many of us liked what they were doing, but many of us still preferred
    ( I know I do) our OEM megos against the new new Retro / JLA inspired releases.

But now that CTVT/FTC has decided to part out the outfits and heads at an affordable price,
    I'm just curious....how many of you would be / or are thinking of "upgrading" your OEM Megos,
    maybe even in some small way, to these new outfits/ heads/ accessories?

Case in point let's take Green Arrow for Example: My OEM GA is 90% original...I replaced his broken Quiver and long ago lost hat
    with DM repros way back. Now I noticed that the green in his suit is starting to fade....And I like the JLA suit that FTC put out.
    Should I replace his suit with this new version? or just continue to watch as his suit fades from green to a yellowish green that
    wouldn't be very displayable?
    Or take my OEM Wonder Woman...her bracelet cuffs have faded, and that run in her shorts ( thankfully in the back) still looks bad,
    and the flesh color in her pajamas isn't a vibrant as before...Do I now get a new JLA Pajama onesie and replace her outright?

For me, I'll never sell my Megos while I'm alive ( CUSTOM or OEM), but thinking forward when I'm gone, and my kids
    don't care for my Megos, will it be an issue for them? Will the resell value tank altogether as Mego collectors begin
    tweaking, replacing, upgrading their figures to have the sheen and vibrancy they once did when they were 8 years old?
    Is this all some evil conspiracy to overthrow "collectibles" ( a word I never gave much care for, a practice I never even thought of)?

sorry for the rant, It's a slow day at work and the mind did wander a bit.........
    Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
    https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg
  • jeffbearco
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 27, 2011

I keep my original Mego figures in clear boxes on a shelf separate from the repros. I have a spreadsheet somewhere that lists individual parts and if they are repro or not. I pretty much made the decision to keep them as original as possible.

I keep the Matel retro figures in the packages they came in, never to be opened. I have the whole set of these. I made that decision based on the posture issues as well as the fact that you can't reseal the packaging once it is opened.

The FTC figures in the resealable clam shells I play with. Meaning if a figure can be improved, I feel free to open the case and make improvements, or just changes that I would have made if I was the manufacturer. I've repainted faces, modified costumes, replaces oven mitts with 66 style gloves and boots. I'm to the point of considering dropping the clam shells completely and just saving the backer boards. Maybe I'll put them in the same clear boxes I use for my originals since they take up less room.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• nobody
      banjo!
      • Jan 26, 2012

Buy the new suits and baggie the OEM's, but make a list for putting back together.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Pretty amazing that I can get an Apache Chief or Bizarro head ala carte.

My OEM shelf will maintain its integrity. I have another section for mix'n'match fun.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
          Pretty amazing that I can get an Apache Chief or Bizarro head ala carte.

My OEM shelf will maintain its integrity. I have another section for mix'n'match fun.
          This is my approach, too, as the newer stuff is...stylistically different. I have an extensive loose Mego collection, all original. But kitbashing/Frankensteining tweaked versions with extra parts, new and vintage, is a lot of fun IMO.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎