• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riderfan
    Megos are cool
    • Feb 14, 2012

Can't we all just be friends?

Hi

First time ever I've ever started a thread on any forum, so please be gentle.

Like many I've been following '66 Batgirl thread & rather than hijack it, I thought a new thread was better.

Yes the figure has issues.

Yes it can be improved upon, if you want to spend the time, effort, & money on doing this.

Yes, you shouldn't have to.

Yes, FTC pricing is going up but the quality doesn't seem to be following.

Yes, FTC heads are all over the place scale wise.

And yes, this does sound like the opening to a Meatloaf song

But has anyone stopped & thought about it and maybe realized that this small community (of obviously hard core Mego fans) isn't FTC's primary customers, but rather John Q Public reliving their youth, perhaps thru their kids, who don't even this website exists?

For example, I bought my 2 nephews the 1st retro Batman set for Xmas a couple years ago. Their biggest complaint was the "cooking gloves" kept falling off!

Back to my point, I'm not defending FTC or taking any sides in any ongoing arguments, but it would be nice if I could come here & read honest opinions without the conflict-I got enough conflict in my regular life, toys & hobbies are supposed to be an escape!

OK, off my soapbox now. Hope I got my intent across without offending anyone. And I certainly hope I haven't opened a Pandora's box...

K

p.s. yes I've started threads regarding my customs, but not regarding an opinion.
    Last edited by Riderfan; Apr 4, '16, 11:12 PM. Reason: added p.s.
    I've come here to chew bubblegum & kick ***. And I'm all out of bubblegum

(Rowdy Roddy Piper in 'They Live' 1988)
  • tllgn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 6, 2010

^ iam with you .i love Tellerites but GEEZ !.enough already .

Comment

• jeffbearco
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 27, 2011

I've also noticed that once you get the figure in hand, with rare exceptions, all of the small quirks and failings really aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

With Batgirl, I went back and forth because of the negative posts. Now that I have her, she is actually pretty good. There are some minor things I want to do. But those are mainly for me. I would never say to scrap the whole figure. I've found that to be the case several times. There was lots of negative posts about Alfred too, but on the whole, he looks great to me!

But then I also liked the Green Lantern and Catwoman movies so I guess I'm easily satisfied and forgiving when it comes to my DC characters.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Whenever you do something, put out content, create a toy, put on a toy show or a podcast, what have you, the one thing you can count on is somebody telling you that you're doing it all wrong and that they could do it better.

Often times, you get the vibe that they wish something bad will happen to you, i don't know why that is but it just is.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jeffbearco
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 27, 2011

All things considered, I'm still very enthusiastic about many of the figures that are due out this year.

It is the antici ... pation that gets me. hehehe

bat_rocky.jpg

JeffBearCO

Comment

• drogge
            Career Member
            • Jul 24, 2009

I am very happy with most of the offerings, there is a lot to be excited about. Teen Titans, Flash set, Shazam set, and Wonder Woman set are coming. I do hope Batman 66 continues.

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
              Career Member
              • Apr 30, 2015

Originally posted by palitoy
              Often times, you get the vibe that they wish something bad will happen to you, i don't know why that is but it just is.
              Ya, some people are just naturally spiteful. They can't help it.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                Often invisible
                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                Whenever you do something, put out content, create a toy, put on a toy show or a podcast, what have you, the one thing you can count on is somebody telling you that you're doing it all wrong and that they could do it better.

I concur. And as a creator on projects where there are multiple people and even countries involved in the process, you just can't control everything. I'm sometimes amazed anything comes out at all. That goes for comics, animation, action figures, graphic designs, and anything else I've ever worked on.

It's easy to make a custom figure or comic book or what-have-you come out exactly how you want when you're the only one working on it.
                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by jeffbearco
                  I've also noticed that once you get the figure in hand, with rare exceptions, all of the small quirks and failings really aren't as bad as they are made out to be.

With Batgirl, I went back and forth because of the negative posts. Now that I have her, she is actually pretty good. There are some minor things I want to do. But those are mainly for me. I would never say to scrap the whole figure. I've found that to be the case several times. There was lots of negative posts about Alfred too, but on the whole, he looks great to me!

But then I also liked the Green Lantern and Catwoman movies so I guess I'm easily satisfied and forgiving when it comes to my DC characters.

JeffBearCO
                  I'm with you on both of those movies. They are what they are and I enjoyed them. Maybe it's a DC thing?

Comment

• Spyweb007
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 18, 2006

Constructive criticism is the key, as every item has good and bad points, and it is helpful to relay ideas on how to improve an items flaws, but when one has nothing but bad things to say without acknowledging the things that were done well it comes across more as non-stop complaining and those complaints may not be accepted as being as valid as a more thoughtful and tempered critique.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                      Constructive criticism is the key, as every item has good and bad points, and it is helpful to relay ideas on how to improve an items flaws, but when one has nothing but bad things to say without acknowledging the things that were done well it comes across more as non-stop complaining and those complaints may not be accepted as being as valid as a more thoughtful and tempered critique.
                      Louis CK recently quit twitter, his reason was that people are just too awful. He doesn't think people are bad or even want to be this negative, it's just far too easy these days to fire off something mean.

When the Captain Canuck figure head sculpt was shown off, a guy posted on our facebook page that it was "AN ABOMINATION" because it didn't look exactly like a certain artist's rendition of the character.

He went on and on about his custom being better and then trashed it on every update. I shared the posts with Canuck's creator and he basically smiled and said "He loves the character so much, he thinks it's his".

Dude then tried to friend me on facebook, that was the part that confused me the most. If you publicly wish failure upon my small family business, we're not gonna be chums.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• jeffbearco
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 27, 2011

One of my favorite things on here is when people post a picture of a new figure, and then pictures of how they customized it. Those are great and tend to give me ideas of what I can do to improve mine. I've posted several pictures of things I've done to customize figures.

Also, the day dreaming of different variants that could come out. I like to think that many of us asking repeatedly for the green suited Riddler is why they finally came out with it. Once they released it, I was quick to order one. In my opinion, he is one of the best figures in the 66 Batman line.

JeffBearCO

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

I've said it a hundred times - I'm pleased as hell that we're getting anything at all. What I can't live with I change to suit my tastes. Mego sold us figures on cards that couldn't be opened without ruining them, the emblems and mitts were lost before the birthday party ended half the time...knee pins popped, fabric colors ran. It's all a matter of perspective. We've got 66 Batman, Sulu, Chekov, Khan, Deadpool, Wolverine, Wonder Twins, Flash, GL..............Things ain't so bad. They can't all be perfect to everyone. Who wants a hug?

Comment

• daz71
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 19, 2014

i only have 8 ftc figures which i am happy with .i think if you want a figure to look a certain way with a specific head,body & outfit you have to do a custom then you can't complain as you have chosen it yourself.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

^I do like the critiques, and custom ideas here. It's great to have our members here voice their opinions, whether good or bad.

Brian has a great point. Once you've posted your opinion, try to repeat it as little as possible. The idea is to use this forum to contribute. Not to 'drive our opinions home'.
                              Last edited by dr_cyclops; Apr 5, '16, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎